Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So I need to use PSAs "buy-back guarantee"...

Does anyone know the process I need to follow to have this properly done?

Do I just send it back, or do I have to flag it in some special fashion to make sure that it gets in front of the right people to be handled properly?

Does PSA send a check, or do they just give grading vouchers for the equivalent, SMR buy-back price?

Anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Best to call customer service in the morning
    to get the latest/absolute straight scoop.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    please tell us more about your issue & provide a scan or link, if possible.
  • Options
    Here is a scan.

Looks good, except that the card IS NOT a Super Bowl XXVI variation, which takes it from a ~$350 card to a ~$50 card.
    Don't get me wrong. I didn't buy this card to make a profit or to scam someone. I bought it to take it off the market and get fixed.
    Now I just need to know how to get it fixed.

I have been in this boat before with a PSA 10 version of this card. That one was resolved by the seller and eventually fixed by PSA (after another go around on eBay from a different seller).

I'm looking for help from those that have gone through this process before, and have some experience.

~IMS
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    How much did you pay for it?

If you can say, but i think you may have taken a risk there.

in any event good luck. email joe at joe@collectors.com I think

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought it to take it off the market and get fixed. >>

So you bought the card, knowing it was incorrectly labeled and worth significantly less than what you paid, and are now asking what to do?

While I think you are doing the noble thing, I think you put the cart before the horse.

Best of luck image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    do you want it re-holdeed with the proper designation...
    or, do you wish to recover funds from the purchase?

• Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    this is interesting. keep us up to date as to the outcome.

always remember that no good deed goes unpunished unfortunately. i have no idea how they would handle this situation.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i see you boutht it anyway. there appears to be another mislabled one in another favre set as well. i thought that person had bought that one on ebay and sent him an email just awhile ago. his doesnt look legit either. cant make out the embossed logo over the fidora hat.

i am glad someone is going to bring this to PSA's attention. I always get a mislabeled card in my subs. I have had a Favre auto labled Ben Rothlisberger and a Marino auto labled Elway. Its a shame they cant do a better job and someone gets scammed.

this will hurt PSA's reputation in the long run.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I didn't pay top dollar for the card. I talked the seller into SMR value (currently $42), saying that no matter how many times he tries to sell the card, the buyer will back out saying he thought it was the SB26 variation, when it is just the standard issue card.

I would like the card fixed and to not be out any money. Since I only paid SMR for the card, I cannot see how I will be. If I am, then it was only a $45 hit, which isn't the end of the world as long as someone else doesn't get taken for $300+.

jradke-
    What set is the other Favre in? I would like to take a look at it if possible.
    PSA needs to regroup on this issue of card and find out what is going on.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't pay top dollar for the card. I talked the seller into SMR value (currently $42), saying that no matter how many times he tries to sell the card, the buyer will back out saying he thought it was the SB26 variation, when it is just the standard issue card.

I would like the card fixed and to not be out any money. Since I only paid SMR for the card, I cannot see how I will be. If I am, then it was only a $45 hit, which isn't the end of the world as long as someone else doesn't get taken for $300+.

jradke-
    PSA needs to regroup on this issue of card and find out what is going on. >>

It sounds like you want the card reholdered instead of PSA refunding your money. This is no different than if they mislabeled the card as a Troy Aikman card. It shouldn't take too much to get this done. Good luck, and let us know what happens.
  • Options
    Noble of you to do that. It's a shame that mislabled Heinie Wagner is still out there....
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't pay top dollar for the card. I talked the seller into SMR value (currently $42), saying that no matter how many times he tries to sell the card, the buyer will back out saying he thought it was the SB26 variation, when it is just the standard issue card.

jradke-

If you only did that to get the label fixed, I'd be interested in buying it after the label is fixed if that gets you $$ back instead of vouchers - let me know
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    if you paid smr for it , you will have 2 options , reholder the card as a mechanical error , no cost to you except the cost of sending it in which you can just piggy back it on another sub. not sure exactly how but I think you need a receipt if you bought the card.

what should have happed is that hte seller/submitter sent it back for a mechanical error without you having to buy the card.

my understanding is that hte buyback policy pertains to the grading /authentication , not to a mechanical error.

let us know, your best bet is to contact carol and she will give you the best answer , you could also just call the customer service number but they may not have encountered the situation and you may not get the right answer the 1st time.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think anyone can send a card in under mech error.

I once bought a card mislabeled and was told that by someone at PSA.

I ended up using it as a throwin for a great buyer of my 65's. He has since (I think) sent it in and had the proper cert applied.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    So then my question becomes...

What defines the line between a mechanical error and wrongly authenticating a card?

How do we know that the grader was not aware of the variation in the card, believed the submission form that it was a SB26 variation, and authenticated the card as the Super Bowl XXVI variation? That, to me, sounds like a buy-back on the authentication of the card.

How do we know if the grader grades the card as a base card, but the person that prints the labels mistakenly selects the wrong card from a list (I imagine they would be right next to each other in such a list)? That, to me, sounds like a mechanical error.

Aren't all of the cards verified after sealing to make sure. How would something like this (and other mechanical errors) slip past

Here is the difference in my opinion...
    I found a "mechanical error" card in the Collector Showcase (Thanks jradke!).

A 1997 PINNACLE INSCRIPTIONS DAN MARINO PSA/DNA CERTIFIED PSA 10 (shown below).

Obviously, a mechanical error due to the label. A cert check will obviously show that it is a Dan Marino card, yet Elway is on the label.
    No question, a mechanical error.

Flip to the card in question...
    Do a cert check on this card (40521491), and the certification will say that it is a...

1991 STADIUM CLUB BRETT FARVE SUPER BOWL XXVI PSA 9!

Which leads me to believe that the card was AUTHENTICATED as the variation, and therefore the buy-back guarantee would come into play on this card.
    Am I wrong?

I talked to the seller. He had mentioned that he bought it on eBay, and had no interest in getting it fixed (not sure why).
    I figured at the price, worst case, I crack the card, have it graded and it comes back a 9. Resell the card at basically no loss.
    Then, eventually, send the label in to get removed by PSA.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Assuming PSA does buy the card back from you, how much would you expect them to pay?
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I don't think they will buy it back from you because it is mislabelled, not misgraded. Also, for what it's worth, if that was the SuperBowl card, I think it would be sell between $500-$1000. They don't show up often and are in very high demand.

Lee
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think they will buy it back from you because it is mislabelled, not misgraded. >>

I agree with CD here. Why don't you just call PSA and explain the situation? They can give you the proper protocol for these issues.

Having said that, something appears to be a little fishy and you aren't telling us everything, IMO.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    The only difference that I can tell is that the card was GRADED, AUTHENTICATED and LABELED as a SuperBowl card.
    The certification number will testify to that.

I would be of the opinion that it were simply mislabelled if the certification number showed the card as a base TSC card.
    It does NOT.

Now, even if I had paid top $$$ for this card, I think PSA would still only buy back the card, not the mistake.
    Ergo IMHO, PSA would only spend PSA 9 SMR for a base 91 TSC Favre, which is currently $42.

Since it doesn't really much matter what I do; PSA buy-back, or crack and resub and resell, or have PSA fix and resell, I don't see the value going above $50.
    Just because the label is wrong doesn't make it a $400 card. Never will. It is still a $50 card, no matter how you slice it (well, it would be a $0 card if you sliced it).
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I have had opc cards labeled as topps , sent these back as mechanical errors and they fixed it. looks like the same situation
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    InMySock, that reminds me of when I was a kid and working in a pizza shop, some guy was asking about the size of the pizzas and asked "How many pieces are in a large?" I told him I could cut it into 50 pieces if he wants, but it'll still be 16 inches.

As for the card, I think PSA will just put it in the correct case and send it back to you. However, if you had paid $300 assuming it was a SB card, they might buy it back or pay the difference and slab it correctly. Kind of like if you pay PSA 9 money for a card with a crease in a PSA 9 slab. Either way, they will want it to be in the correct slab so you should contact them.

Here's a question: How hard would it be to re-create the stamp they used to emboss the SB cards? Couldn't be that hard since they didn't actually use foil or anything, right? Not a good thought.

Lee
  • Options

<< <i>So then my question becomes...

What defines the line between a mechanical error and wrongly authenticating a card?

How do we know that the grader was not aware of the variation in the card, believed the submission form that it was a SB26 variation, and authenticated the card as the Super Bowl XXVI variation? That, to me, sounds like a buy-back on the authentication of the card.

How do we know if the grader grades the card as a base card, but the person that prints the labels mistakenly selects the wrong card from a list (I imagine they would be right next to each other in such a list)? That, to me, sounds like a mechanical error.

Aren't all of the cards verified after sealing to make sure. How would something like this (and other mechanical errors) slip past

Here is the difference in my opinion...
    I found a "mechanical error" card in the Collector Showcase (Thanks jradke!).

A 1997 PINNACLE INSCRIPTIONS DAN MARINO PSA/DNA CERTIFIED PSA 10 (shown below).

Obviously, a mechanical error due to the label. A cert check will obviously show that it is a Dan Marino card, yet Elway is on the label.
    No question, a mechanical error.

Flip to the card in question...
    Do a cert check on this card (40521491), and the certification will say that it is a...

1991 STADIUM CLUB BRETT FARVE SUPER BOWL XXVI PSA 9!

Which leads me to believe that the card was AUTHENTICATED as the variation, and therefore the buy-back guarantee would come into play on this card.
    Am I wrong?

I talked to the seller. He had mentioned that he bought it on eBay, and had no interest in getting it fixed (not sure why).
    I figured at the price, worst case, I crack the card, have it graded and it comes back a 9. Resell the card at basically no loss.
    Then, eventually, send the label in to get removed by PSA. >>

Oringinally the cert check would have showed Elway. I had to send it back to be corrected.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

jradke-

The owner said the card is legit. He bought it from you.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I think people are missing the point. What if PSA slabbed a 93 Finest Ryan as a Refractor and it wasnt. Lets say you paid SMR for the card on Ebay. Once you get it and compare it your regular Ryan, maybe another refractor (ryan or not) and come to find out that it isnt a refractor after all. There is a big price difference between the two.

PSA created the problem by not correctly labeling the card. I think PSA is going to have some creditablity issues if these things keep popping up all them time. We all have gotten mechanical errors most arent bad. Some like my Marino is inexcusable for a company that is in the card grading business. Needless to say it took me over 2 months to get that card back with other errors that I sent in. Had had to talk to Carol to get anywhere with customer service. I was promised some vouchers for my hassle but they havent shown up yet.

After all the P in PSA is suppose to be for Professional. Lately in my experience with my subs have been that they dont live up to that name in terms of quality control.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's