Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New purchase - Liteside & OT

It's an encased postage stamp used during the Civil war.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Very cool indeed! I love how old timey stores liberally use the "etc, etc" image

If you don't mind, I'd like to post one of my OT newps, too:

From the Mexican Civil War, these were called "Pancho Villa's bedsheets" image
    A 25 centavo note from Chihuahua, 1913. This one is really better than average condition.

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    ooOOooOOoo.... now I'm really jealous! I've always been more a stamp collector than a coin collector. Me likey bigtime!
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've always been more a stamp collector than a coin collector. >>

WHAT?????
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've always been more a stamp collector than a coin collector. >>

WHAT????? >>

Isn't that like watching a game at Yankee Stadium and saying loudly, "I'm really more of a Mets fan"? image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... I've always been more a stamp collector than a coin collector... >>

I'll get the tar and feathers....
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool indeed! I love how old timey stores liberally use the "etc, etc" image

If you don't mind, I'd like to post one of my OT newps, too:

From the Mexican Civil War, these were called "Pancho Villa's bedsheets" image
    A 25 centavo note from Chihuahua, 1913. This one is really better than average condition.

Spoon, of course I don't mind. I know nothing about notes but yours appears to be in great condition.

Coinpictures, don't let them get to you. I hear they all collect Beanie babies.image
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Tough room... image

I started first as a stamp collector as a kid and the branched off into coins a few years later. There have been multi-year stretches when I haven't touched my coin collection at all. I will say that the ROI and saleability is much better with coins than stamps though.

I've been a member of the APS and ARA for years, but absolutely have no intention of joining the ANA... last thing I want is to contribute money to that soap opera (not that the APS is that much better).

My coin collection is miniscule compared to my stamp holdings...

Unfortunately, stamps collecting appears to be a dwindling hobby, at least here in the U.S. Nowhere near the same level of interest in the population.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's an encased postage stamp used during the Civil war.

image >>

What was the purpose of this thing?
    Purely advertisement!!!!!

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Musky, there was a shortage of small change. They were used like coins, some had plain cases.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I used to be a stamp collector, also, but I found it didn't get me lucky with the women.

I told my date I liked the stamps she had on her dresser, and she said, "Philately will get you nowhere."

[rimshot]
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Nice example of emergency coinage! Rather than being purely advertisement they served as coinage during the civil war along with patriotic tokens, store script, fractional notes and general tokens due to a shortage of coins caused by hoarding.

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Shiroh imageimageimage

Very nice OT thread.

I feel for you stamp (and currency) collectors, I used to be one of you. Until I bought a supposed MNH Olympics 1896 Greek series, prior to the 2004 Athens Olympics, thinking that I was investing big time. Eight months later, I discovered that my "MNH" series was a POS, and I was totally uncapable of seeing it even after I was told. I didn't have much luck with banknotes either, although I can tell if it's being ironed or not, that's as far as my grading skills go. So, I've decided to stick with metal, gold, silver, copper, they are all nice and easy to grade for me, compared to the tricky paper, Bank of France excluded, due to its noisy characteristic notes.

But I always enjoy stuff like spoon's and even more like BS'. Stamps are not dead coinpictures, but I'd guess that in the US, like everywhere else in the world, modern stuff is really crap, you'd better stick with the classics if you like this hobby. Covers in particular, were always my favourites, I believe there's a member here that deals almost exclusively with some terrific covers as his handle suggests (but that didn't stop him from finding a pair of stunning Guatemalan coins from 1820 and 1821).
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing never seen one of these before.