Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What the heck, I'm gonna rip some 1980 tonight. Went with Topps. Scans posted.

I have some extra 1980 Topps and 1980 OPC baseball wax racks. This will be three Topps packs or four OPC packs.

Which one should I rip?

Comments

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    Topps
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't rip, they are worth more as is especially because the packs are in a rack case---making it least vulnerable for searches therefore much easier to sell. I could never buy a lone 1980s pack from anyone because most likely its been searched for the henderson.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    2 rip or not 2 rip...rip both!
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't rip, they are worth more as is especially because the packs are in a rack case---making it least vulnerable for searches therefore much easier to sell. >>

I know, I know. But considering there is a lot of 1980 product out there I don't really think these are going to sell for much more than I paid for them (Besides, I'm just going to open one rack.) For the record I have a decent collection of 1970s Topps tray packs and those will never be opened as long as I own them.

<< <i>2 rip or not 2 rip...rip both! >>

Yeah, I knew I'd get that reply too. Wellllllll.....just depends how much I have to drink tonight. We're in the middle of our first snowstorm of the year so I have to celebrate somehow!
  • Options
    Ahhhh...

Go the spot on, dead centered, OPC's

Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Redheart,

thanks for acknowledging my post. You know what I mean. A lot of 1980s stuff is being opened, so every year, the stuff is getting rare. If you are going to open, it is best to open a pack or rack pack that has some imperfections on there (not to the point of it affecting the cards inside) but stuff like price tags dont can't get removed without some harm to the packaging or excessive scuffs.... you get the picture.

I personally have some 1981 Topps Superman wax packs with $1.00 price tags on them like you find in a grocery store. I doubt I can remove them without harming the pack every single attempt, so I will be opening the ones that are least appealing. I do need some sticker cards from those packs anyway, so it is not a total loss.

I hope you pull a Henderson.

Now to answer your question.

Open the rack that has some wear of imperfection first. If the other one is flawless, spare that one. I think that would be a good way to make that decision.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red

I like both - but I'm with both!

We'll enjoy the scans!

Good luck and keep us posted.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    The Henderson is a pull towards the Topps. I opened an OPC a few years back and even though I got a few stars (Brett included) the centering was pretty bad and the Brett had a pretty bad corner ding.

FYI, I'll probably be commencing the break around 10 p.m. EST.
  • Options
    rip the topps and sell me the opc for my pack collectionimage
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Rip the OPC, save the Topps.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Is there a particular reason that you are hanging onto them? If you are a pack collector, then I'd assume that the OPC is something that you'd want to keep sealed, isn't it?

Either way, start rippin'....we're all waitin' for you! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Went with the Topps. Here's pack 1. Not great in terms of star power or condition. The checklist has 9 or 10 potential. The Ozzie, while well centered, has corner issues. There are a few others here that could probably be 9s.

• Options
    Pack 2. Again, pretty weak star power and about every card has centering and/or corner issues.

• Options
    Best of luck on pack 3!
  • Options
    Pack 3. The Molitor has 9 potential as do a few of the commons. Interesting card is the A's team. I've never seen it. I think that's Rickey first one on the right on the top row.

• Options
    Well, the packs are what they are. Not a total loss what with a few stars though the corner wear was disappointing considering these packs have been relatively protected over the last 26 years. (My roomie claims he's going to eat the gum so that makes it all worthwhile!)
  • Options

<< <i>Well, the packs are what they are. Not a total loss what with a few stars though the corner wear was disappointing considering these packs have been relatively protected over the last 26 years. (My roomie claims he's going to eat the gum so that makes it all worthwhile!) >>

I ate some gum out of some 1986 topps packs. The results were not favorable.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    As long as you had some fun ripping, thats what really matters !

Boy do those cards always bring back memories. I was 7 in 1980 and those were the first cards I remember getting. Every time I was out with my mother or father they would buy me a pack or two just to shut me up. I used to stare at them for hours reading the stats, placing them in order by team and rubber banding them.

Do you plan on ripping the OPC now ?
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Oh, I doubt I'll rip the OPC. The main reason I went with the Topps is because I had three of the those racks and only two of the OPC.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 4-pack 1980 OPC racks are much scarcer than the 1980 Topps racks. I recall about a year or two ago one sold on ebay for almost $100.

In addition to that, there is NO 1980 OPC Henderson RC, so you're wise to keep that rack sealed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    <<The 4-pack 1980 OPC racks are much scarcer than the 1980 Topps racks. I recall about a year or two ago one sold on ebay for almost $100. >>

WOW 100 REALLY I have about 10 of them anyone wants one for 50 let me know
  • Options
    Is there another variation of that Buddy Bell card? ........error maybe? I seem to recall having the same exact card except for the team name on the front was different.
  • Options
    Nice cards. They must have made a lot of those Frank White cards. I did an 80's rip a while back and got 5-6 of them.

How much snow did you get?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I remember having that Ron LeFlore card. If you look at it real close, for some reason Topps did something to his right eye, it just does not look natural.

Kirk
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<The 4-pack 1980 OPC racks are much scarcer than the 1980 Topps racks. I recall about a year or two ago one sold on ebay for almost $100. >>

WOW 100 REALLY I have about 10 of them anyone wants one for 50 let me know

80s,

You'd probably get at least $40 if you listed one on ebay right now. Prices for all unopened product have come down somewhat over the past couple of years for most issues. I remember when 1971 Topps wax packs were going for $500 and up in NM condition. Now you can get one for about $300.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>As long as you had some fun ripping, thats what really matters !

Boy do those cards always bring back memories. I was 7 in 1980 and those were the first cards I remember getting. Every time I was out with my mother or father they would buy me a pack or two just to shut me up. I used to stare at them for hours reading the stats, placing them in order by team and rubber banding them.

Do you plan on ripping the OPC now ? >>

It's funny...I was born in '72, so I was 8 when these came out, and I did the EXACT same thing. My parents would buy me a pack or two every time we went to the store. I remember getting that Mike Vail card like it was yesterday. I'd just memorize those cards and all the stats, separate them by team....those were the days. Man.
  • Options
    It was indeed a lot of fun to rip someting that had been frozen in time for nearly 27 years. The gum did not leave a trace at all of being stuck to a given card. In fact it came right off (unlike that OPC gum which molds itself to the card).

I'd be willing to give these to whomever wants them. I'm going to hold onto the Molitor but there might be a few cards to submit for you 1980 set collectors. First one to claim 'em here gets 'em. PM your address.
  • Options

Any takers?
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246

<< <i>It's funny...I was born in '72, so I was 8 when these came out, and I did the EXACT same thing. My parents would buy me a pack or two every time we went to the store. I remember getting that Mike Vail card like it was yesterday. I'd just memorize those cards and all the stats, separate them by team....those were the days. Man. >>

Same here! Born in '72 and was 8 when I would get a pack here and there for me to stop whinin'. image

I wasn't into condition too much at that point though. I remember stacking up the cards and slidin' into them as they flew everywhere. It was fun at the time, but not recommended if you want to keep those corners ding-free.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't feel bad about not getting Mr. Henderson; the odds were 1:16.13 (726 card set/45 cards in the rack pack). I sure wouldn't mind getting one each of 1980 Topps wax, rack, wax pack rack, cello (the kind with the gum hanging off the bottom) to go with my 1980 Topps set. This way by getting the complete NRMT or better set first before getting the packs, you're in no way tempted to open them (since you can't get anything you don't have now) and can let everyone else open theirs. That way, before you know it, the 1980s unopened stuff is quite rare and you're sitting pretty with some rarer and more valuable collectibles. image For example, I had to pay over $20 each for the 1984 & 1985 Fleer rack packs (the kind with three wax packs) because they were so hard to find on Ebay.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars