Home Metal Detecting

OK, John, here's my pointy rock...

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
My only real noteworthy find from October. I was gonna say "I might as well have left the detector at home" but I did manage to dig an old city bus token ("Ga City Coaches") midmonth- it is smaller than a dime, bronze, and has a square cutout in the center. We don't have public transit in Brunswick today, so it is almost certainly from the WW2 boomtime when they built Liberty ships here.

This was a nice eyeball find in my book, and I was pleased. Any ideas on date range and type?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• << <i>This was a nice eyeball find in my book, and I was pleased. Any ideas on date range and type? >>

Nice find Rob!
    Judging from the size, it is likely a birdpoint. These are actuall points that tipped an arrow. (Most points are knife forms or lanceolate forms) Dates for true arrow points range from first contact all the way back to 2,000 years ago.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we're talkin' AD rather than BC? I kinda figgered that. Thanks. I guess that narrows it down to 1-1500 AD or so?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>So we're talkin' AD rather than BC? I kinda figgered that. Thanks. I guess that narrows it down to 1-1500 AD or so? >>

It all depends on your area (which I know very little about) and who's theories you believe.
    I would lean towards the B.C. from my studies.
    To quote from Ohio Flint Types by Robert Converse:

<< <i>Called Bird Points because of their small size, these small projectile points have been found on many Ohio and Midwestern prehistoric sites. They were long thought to be Mississippian in origin since it was assumed the bow and arrow did not make it's appearance until well after 500 A.D. However, recent research postulates an introduction of the bow some several thousands of years ago. Thus Bird Points, which are probably true arrow points, are much older than previously believed. Two Bird Points were found with a burial at the Duff site, a Glacial Kame location in Logan County but it was not clear whether they were the cause of death or burial accompaniements. Such a context would place them in the second millennium B.C. Bird Points were specifically dated at the Sabre Farm in Ross County at 1,900 B.C. >>

imageimage
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087

<< <i>This was a nice eyeball find in my book >>

Mine also. In the .2%keeper chapter even.
    Nice find Rob!!
    I'm such a coin-prejudiced person it would be hard for me to put this in the 0.2% keeper category, but I rank it pretty high. Especially considering I've only found four points ever (two in NC, two here).

The last was a tiny bird point found on that site you hunted with me in Crescent on your visit, Tim:

• << <i>I'm such a coin-prejudiced person it would be hard for me to put this in the 0.2% keeper category, but I rank it pretty high. Especially considering I've only found four points ever (two in NC, two here).

The last was a tiny bird point found on that site you hunted with me in Crescent on your visit, Tim:

image >>

This is a true Mississippian (first contact) point.
    The time context for point from your area likely coincides with Ohio's, listed in the paragraph above.
    imageimage
    (whoops- this post was meant to go on Treasurenet. Too many windows open. D'oh.)

• Very sweet find. image