Home Sports Talk
Options

I've been bamboozled!

1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
I think I was drinking way too much green Koolaid for the past few seasons. Other than the occasional bad play call, I never questioned his coaching. Even though his number one picks w/o Modrak haven't really panned out, I never questioned his drafting. Now I will say this, after careful thought.

ANDY REID MUST GO

and I mean it.

I also apologize to this board for all the smack I gave this season, even though dallas still will not make the playoffs.

This team is not going to be the 11-5/10-6 team I thought they were. They are an underachieving team with zero heart and w/o a coach to guide them.
collecting various PSA and SGC cards

Comments

• Options
    plus andy reid is so fat! image

well good luck to you that your team starts playin with some fire and gets it done!
    currently trying to complete these sets! any help is appreciated!!

2003 SPx Football
    2006 Topps Allen and Ginter

Joe Nuxhall cards, graded or raw

Bengals!
  • Options
    Hey, he lost 30 pounds .... then gained 40.

In any event, it look as if the 2006 season is over unless they can win a few games in a row. Still have faith in em, always will .... but Reid has got to go. If Lurie and Banner take away his GM title only, I may be okay with that as he can't do both. He has shown that, and it is now pretty clear to me.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    overweighted + overrated =
    .............................................image
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    We all tend to forget how really close the talent level is on every team in the NFL. Now with free agents a couple of correct moves can make a huge difference. I don't follow the Eagles, but from a far I have been amazed how they have been able to maintain a quality team over the years. It leads me to believe the difference is in management and coaching. Look at the Lions or the Cardinals or Raiders....how has coaching changes helped them over the years? I guarantee you that if Reid is fired there will be several teams looking to hire him. I think on the whole they have been very successful with the talent they have and always drafting low.
  • Options
    You Eagle fans all make me laugh . . You guys cannot talk about your team without mentioning the Cowboys

I think Eagle fans are more infatuated with the Boys than us fans are

P.S Hey IrishMike, change your mind about Julius Jones yet ?

Dave
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You Eagle fans all make me laugh . . You guys cannot talk about your team without mentioning the Cowboys

Dave >>

I thought the same thing

• Options
    that is because of two things:

we hate the cowboys and because this is a CU post image

believe me, the last thing Eagles fans I know talk about is the state of the cowboys team .... with the exception of the preseason/TO signing.

cowboy bashing is pretty much a CU Sports Talk thing

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>that is because of two things:

we hate the cowboys and because this is a CU post image

believe me, the last thing Eagles fans I know talk about is the state of the cowboys team .... with the exception of the preseason/TO signing.

cowboy bashing is pretty much a CU Sports Talk thing >>

Admittedly, Andy has some faults but my belief is he's going to be the Eagles coach for quite some time and I'm fine with that. We were only four points away from winning the Super Bowl two seasons ago and that's closer than Vermeil got us. Fans may forget the Eagles were 7 point dogs going into that Super Bowl against a very tough Patriots team considered overall the best team of this decade.

This game was really the first dud of the season and even great teams have one or two duds throughout the season. The other three losses were decided on the last play of the game. Yes, great teams would have pulled out two or three out of three of those last play losses, but there aren't any great teams in the NFC this season. I am absolutely convinced the Bears are not anywhere's near a great team - they could be eventually, but it won't be this season. They will lose in the playoffs.

Reid's major fault is poor clock management throughout a game and especially at the end of halves and games. For some reason he freezes up on the sideline and that has to be corrected. He badly needs someone to shout some simple game strategy instructions in his earphone and then Reid can properly make the calls.

So yes, he does need to designate more responsibility to other people during the game. This may sound radical but I think he could "experiment" with McNabb calling his own plays. Please don't laugh. I think McNabb could very successfully do this and I think it would benefit the offense. Naturally Reid would have the option of still calling any play in certain situations. And of course I know it's unlikely for this to happen.

But nothing here is broke so I don't think we should try to fix it. Tweak it? Yes, definitely tweak it but as frustrated as I get sometimes on Sunday after a loss, a few days later I realize that Reid has helped give Egale's fans a lot of thrills and I still think the best is yet to come in the future. And as far as this season, I'm not even close to throwing it out at this point.

Steve

• Options

<< <i>You Eagle fans all make me laugh . . You guys cannot talk about your team without mentioning the Cowboys

Dave >>

PS Dave image I am glad to see he is having a good season, like I said on draft day, great runner if he stays healthy and doesn't fumble, which was his history at ND. Fasano looks good too.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Reid's always had the bad clock management stigma...let's not forget, mcnabb, in the game against the bucs, was driving at the end of the first half and instead of throwing the ball out of bounds to get a field goal try, he completes a pass at the three, time runs out, and that missed FG opportunity was the difference in the game.

• Options

<< <i>Reid's always had the bad clock management stigma...let's not forget, mcnabb, in the game against the bucs, was driving at the end of the first half and instead of throwing the ball out of bounds to get a field goal try, he completes a pass at the three, time runs out, and that missed FG opportunity was the difference in the game. >>

You're right - but McNabb has to be coached-up not to make that throw. I don't blame McNabb for that - I blame the offensive coaches. I still think McNabb could successfully call his own plays, and just be given some guidance in certain situations such as that, IE coaching on that play would be to quickly tell him to call any pass play he wants, but either throw it in the endzone or throw it out of bounds - those were the only two options on that play when there are no timeouts. Frankly, it is frustrating when Reid makes mistakes like this, that high school coaches shouldn't make. Reid sometimes has a bad habit, a very bad habit, of trying to be cute, rather than play basic football 101.

ALL the great football coaches played basic football 101 with a little improvisation in certain situations - there was no need for improvisation on that play we are talking about - that's a basic football play, in that particular game, in that particular situation - there was no need to risk the sure 3 points. Unfortunately Reid has made too many mistakes like this in a number of other games. For example poor clock management in the Giants game. Mistakes like this simply can't afford to be made!
  • Options
    Some one tell me how they know McNabb is capable of calling his own plays. With all the shuffling in and out of players how would a QB even know what to call until he saw who was in the huddle. How on earth could you call a game without studying all the defensive tendencies that the coaches spend hours on. If you have met any of these guys one of the things you will notice is that ain't exactly rocket scientists. The speed of the game and closeness in talent on NFL rosters would suggest that a QB has enough to concern himself with. They always have a check-off option.
  • Options
    imagehave anotherimageand anotherimageand anotherimage are things looking better yet?
  • Options

<< <i>Some one tell me how they know McNabb is capable of calling his own plays. With all the shuffling in and out of players how would a QB even know what to call until he saw who was in the huddle. How on earth could you call a game without studying all the defensive tendencies that the coaches spend hours on. If you have met any of these guys one of the things you will notice is that ain't exactly rocket scientists. The speed of the game and closeness in talent on NFL rosters would suggest that a QB has enough to concern himself with. They always have a check-off option. >>

I guess Peyton Manning must have majored in Rocket Science at Tennessee. If Manning can successfully call his own plays, I think McNabb could do it as well.
  • Options
    Completely different system and even Manning does not call of the plays. Every one of their 300+ plays has ten audibles. This is why they line up early to have time to do that. Its an interesting comparison, Manning and McNabb, but I would suggest to Eagle fans that they don't have the offensive firepower to enable them to play offense like the Colts do. What they do have in common is that both teams rely heavily on their QB's to win the game and that neither would be a playoff team without them. Just look at the Eagles record when McNabb doesn't have a 100 rating, they lose.

As far as Reid not getting the plays in quickly, I assume he isn't totally stupid and will adjust this.
  • Options

<< <i>Completely different system and even Manning does not call of the plays. Every one of their 300+ plays has ten audibles. This is why they line up early to have time to do that. Its an interesting comparison, Manning and McNabb, but I would suggest to Eagle fans that they don't have the offensive firepower to enable them to play offense like the Colts do. What they do have in common is that both teams rely heavily on their QB's to win the game and that neither would be a playoff team without them. Just look at the Eagles record when McNabb doesn't have a 100 rating, they lose.

As far as Reid not getting the plays in quickly, I assume he isn't totally stupid and will adjust this. >>

Hey it's just sports talk, as I stated earlier it's "unlikely" to happen - most probably will never happenn. But with the way the Eagles waste timeouts and squander opportunities, it would be interesting just to see McNabb call the plays and see what happens. After all, Vince Lombardi used to let Bart Starr call most of the plays and I've heard rumors that Lombardi was a fairly good football coach. Frankly, Reid doesn't seem to have the ability on a Pro level to call plays and utilize proper clock management at the same time - that is a fact and the bottom line is something needs to be done about it.

The answer isn't getting rid of Reid - the answer is someone getting in Reid's face and telling him to get someone in the booth who can properly advise him during the game - and Reid actually listening to him. I'll take the job if no one else wants it - I do it extremely well sitting on my couch during the games so all that needs to be done is hookup a connection to my living room to Andy's headset during the game.

If in the future it is overheard Andy saying, "Good job Steve alerting me to the fact that we were on the opponent's ten yard line, five seconds to go in the game, we're down by two points, and we should kick a field goal rather than trying to run for a touchdown. Thank you Steve for your words of wisdom which helped us win the game."......you'll know that was me. image
  • Options
    Hey it's just sports talk,

exactly Steve .... my anger has subsided. Back to my senses now ....

Eagles are still gonna win ten and the division image
  • Options
    Good thing its just sports talk. image Any one who takes other opinions on here seriously (even their own) will end up like Axtell/stown polluting every thread. image