Home Sports Talk
Options

Pelfrey soon to start for the Mets

Pelfrey will start for the Mets on Saturday. Is he for real or just a lot of hype? What do we know about him?
Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• Options
    From baseball digest daily regarding Pelfrey and the 2005 draft:

Arguably the top pitching prospect in the draft, Pelfrey can really bring the heat. He consistently throws in the mid 90s and has been seen to top out at 97 mph. Scouts feel he has a way to go with his other pitches, especially when it comes to control. At the moment, Pelfrey is relying heavily on his fastball to get out college hitters. He won't be able to get by as easily at the next level.

Some consider Mike Pelfrey a better candidate for a closer role down the line, and that thinking may play into scouts' minds when it comes down to where he's selected...that and his choice of Scott Boras as his agent.

Pelfrey has started to develop a sharp curve, and if he can get his breaking pitch over the plate consistently, he can dominate. He pitches with confidence bordering on arrogance and it shows. He believes he owns the plate and makes batters very aware of his intentions. Crowd the plate against Mike Pelfrey and you may find yourself hitting the dirt fast!

Talk was he would've gone in the first round in 2002 out of high school. The Scott Boras angle turned many teams off, Tampa threw out a 15th round pick taking him and Pelfrey opted for college. 2005 rolls around and Pelfrey gets picked by the Mets in the first round (9th overall). Considered to be the 47th best prospect in all of baseball.

College career= 33-7 record 1.93 ERA 366 K 69 BB in 360 innings

Minors

St Lucie 2-1 1.64 ERA 22 IP 17 hits given up 4 Earned Runs 26 K 2 (yes 2) BB
    Binghamton 4-2 2.71 ERA 66 1/3 IP 60 Hits 20 Earned runs 77 K 26 BB

You're getting that uncontrollable NY Mets drooling going right now, huh?
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see this kid pitch, my question though is why is Lima starting tonite?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    Theres no way this kid will be any good

If he was going to be one of the best young pitching prospects in the game we would've traded him already for a Zambrano type 4th starter
  • Options

<< <i>I can't wait to see this kid pitch, my question though is why is Lima starting tonite?

Steve >>

I think it has something to do with Pelfrey's schedueled day to pitch. I believe Pelfrey was slated for Saturday, regardless of minors or majors.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Pelfrey has an exploding fastball. to bad i wont be able to see him pitch tomorow bc of foxsports blackouts image !

maybe this kid can be like gooden when we bought him up.

any mets fans on here hate to see milledge and heilman be dealt for willis?

im on the fence but milledge didnt look like he is gonna be the type of player wright or beltran are. i think he will be a good player. but to get a pitcher like willis i would do it.
  • Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    maybe this kid can be like gooden when we bought him up.

I'll never forget watching Goodens first game as a big leaguer. It was against Houston in the Astrodome and he looked terrific.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one in the last 30 years has been as dominant as Gooden was in 1984-1985. His "12 to 6" curve was absolutely devastating, never mind the high hard ones! If Pelfry even approaches that kind of level, Met fans are in for a real treat!

I see Lima was torched again tonight for 7 runs in 3 innings, though 2 of the runs were unearned. How in the world is this guy even still in the majors? Darren Oliver would have been a much better choice, IMO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The last time the Mets were this high on a pitcher his name was Kazmir. Before that though, there was the debacle known as Pulsipher and Wilson. Take away Gooden, and it seems the Mets put guys in too early, or trade them. I'll be interested to see what happens to this one...
    Jay
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    hey Jay please dont bring up the K word to us image zambrano for K man!! LOL duquet you idiot!!
  • Options
    Kazmir for Zambrano will go down as the worst trade the Mets ever made, maybe even worse, IMHO, than Ryan for Fregosi!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    azmir for Zambrano will go down as the worst trade the Mets ever made, maybe even worse, IMHO, than Ryan for Fregosi!

i don't think so. but it is right up there.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    How's that trade working out for the Mets, WP?

Kazmir seems to be doing quite well...imagine him instead of that disaster Lima.

• Options
    How's that trade working out for the Mets, WP?

hee haw hee haw,

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Hmm Kazmir is 10-5 with a 3.29 ERA.

Mets don't have a single starter with an ERA that low, and only Glavine has a better record.

• Options
    ^^First NL team to 50 wins and best record in the NL.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>^^First NL team to 50 wins and best record in the NL. >>

Is it a race to 50 games or 162?

Just checking.

• Options
    Well since you announced the "collapse" they've added to their NL East lead. lol, it's gotta suck for ya NY haters out there(ahem) Ax.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    With the lead the Mets have in the NL East right now, they should clinch by August 1. They haven't even played .500 ball the last 2 weeks and still their lead has gotten larger.

I also doubt that any team with the exception of the Cards can stop the Mets from reaching the WS this year no matter how Kazmir does or anyone else for that matter.

• Options
    ^The Cards rotation needs to straighten out. Mulder has been a big dissapointment this season and hopefully he'll get back healthy and the Cards are the only team that has the offense and pitching to compete with the Mets for the NL. No NL West team has the offense or pitching staffs and the Cards and Mets are both the top of their divisions.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    I am still waiting if the season is a race to 50 games or 162?

I see you've avoided that question.

• Options

<< <i>Well since you announced the "collapse" they've added to their NL East lead. lol, it's gotta suck for ya NY haters out there(ahem) Ax. >>

Well yeah...it's to 162 but they've increased their NL East lead since your announcement of their "collapse". They'll take the division and quite possibly be playing for the WS.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    So what importance does the first to 50 wins means?

Nothing? You were just flapping your gums?

Ok, as long as you admit it.
  • Options
    Building a 12 game lead is quite important. Maybe you fail to realize that building and maintaining a lead now allows a team to rest and recuperate before the playoffs start; enabling a fresher team to take the field while the competition isn't 100%. That leads to World Series championship, but being a fan of the M's....Well you know very little about that don't ya?
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>Building a 12 game lead is quite important. Maybe you fail to realize that building and maintaining a lead now allows a team to rest and recuperate before the playoffs start; enabling a fresher team to take the field while the competition isn't 100%. That leads to World Series championship, but being a fan of the M's....Well you know very little about that don't ya? >>

But you didn't say 12 game lead, you said 'the first NL team to 50 wins!' as if it means something....little hint...it DOESN'T.

• Options
    It means best record in the NL. And once again your avoiding the fact that you called the Mets a "collapse" and yet they've added to their NL East lead. Once again, reading and comprehension. Try it out instead of playing fantasy games with little kids.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    So what exactly does the best record mean at the all star break?

Not a whole lot. Only time they matter is at the end of the season.

I thought you were a yankees fan? Jumping on the Mets bandwagon too?
  • Options
    Not at all jumping on a "bandwagon". I, like many true NY/NJ fans support ALL teams in the area. lol, keep spinning.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>Not at all jumping on a "bandwagon". I, like many true NY/NJ fans support ALL teams in the area. lol, keep spinning. >>

Knicks too?

Or in basketball do you prefer the Nets?

• Options
    I support both teams. Of course the Nets come first, as when I was growing up I never was a fan of sweataholic aka Patrick Ewing but I loved the play of Drazen Petrovic and Kenny Anderson.

I support all the teams, but of course in head to head matchups I lean towards my favorites; Nets, Devils, Giants, and Yankees.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>I support both teams. Of course the Nets come first, as when I was growing up I never was a fan of sweataholic aka Patrick Ewing but I loved the play of Drazen Petrovic and Kenny Anderson.

I support all the teams, but of course in head to head matchups I lean towards my favorites; Nets, Devils, Giants, and Yankees. >>

Of course you like the Nets better.

Thank you for clearing up that assumption of mine.

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>I am still waiting if the season is a race to 50 games or 162?

I see you've avoided that question. >>

From the "Mets part deux" thread, or for those is Modesto "Mets part douche." -

Axhole:

<< <i> And what's your involvement in this NY thread, phillies 'fan'? >>

<< <i>Hey, how are those phillies doing? They eliminated yet? >>

Of course he was reminded that the season ends in September.

Apparently A$$mell has a tendency to end the season at 50 games...or is it claim that 162 is season's end?

What day is it?

Spin it some more Liam Massengill!

• Options
    << ^^First NL team to 50 wins and best record in the NL. >>

Is it a race to 50 games or 162?

More proof that Donkey has no clue.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    This is too good for posting in just one thread -

Is it surprising that an OF thread "Board Venom" winds up with four pages devoted to Master Arcanist Hermaprodite "now trading pelts and practiced in the art of jewelcrafting" Liam D'Sparil aka A$$mell aka jad22?

Read from this page on...

What me feces?
  • Options
    SoFL:

You're wrong, as usual. Are you upset that the Phillies are going to miss the playoffs AGAIN?

And the season is 162 games, not 50. I am sorry simple minded dopes like you can't understand that concept.
  • Options

<< <i>SoFL:

You're wrong, as usual. Are you upset that the Phillies are going to miss the playoffs AGAIN?

And the season is 162 games, not 50. I am sorry simple minded dopes like you can't understand that concept. >>

Well then make up your own mind and stop asking people if their favorite team has been eliminated.

The concept is yours to understand.

We all get it. You on the other hand vacillate on a regular basis.

The facts are there in your own posts.

Go away.

• Options
    And the season is 162 games, not 50. I am sorry simple minded dopes like you can't understand that concept.

No it seems to be you that does not understand. the original poster simply mentioned that the Mets were the first NL team to WIN 50 games. NOT PLAY 50 GAMES.

To say that the season is a race to 162 games and not 50 implys that a team needs to win all 162.

Dope.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    SoFL:

I asked simply if your team had been eliminated...are you that upset your team is going to fail again?

And yes, the season is 162 games long, but your team can be eliminated long before then...which I am sure you are WELL aware of.

I was stating that being the first to win 50 games mean nada in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    I was stating that being the first to win 50 games mean nada in the grand scheme of things.

But that is not what you said!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>SoFL:

I asked simply if your team had been eliminated...are you that upset your team is going to fail again?

And yes, the season is 162 games long, but your team can be eliminated long before then...which I am sure you are WELL aware of.

I was stating that being the first to win 50 games mean nada in the grand scheme of things. >>

A weak poke as usual.

Much can happen between now and the end of the season. The Phils have been in the race well into September, get your facts straight.

Stick with the Nordic fantasy games.

Time for your Yu Gi Oh Club and the trip to the ice cream parlor.

What flavor of ice cream is it today? Vanilla with mint green swirl and little chocolate Ichiros?

"Yum, I loves me some Ichiro!"

• Options

<< <i>

A weak poke as usual.

Much can happen between now and the end of the season. The Phils have been in the race well into September, get your facts straight.
    >>

Oh is that how Philly fans console their losing ways year after year after year "we aren't mathmatically eliminated until September!"?

Pathetic.

<< <i>Stick with the Nordic fantasy games.

Time for your Yu Gi Oh Club and the trip to the ice cream parlor. >>

I don't play either, though it sounds as if you are intimately familiar with both...perhaps your 'wife' isn't real and she's as made as up as these attempted insults you are hurling?

<< <i>What flavor of ice cream is it today? Vanilla with mint green swirl and little chocolate Ichiros? >>

Sorry, not my flavor, though I'm sure you love Ichiro.

<< <i>"Yum, I loves me some Ichiro!" >>

I'm sure you do, SoFL, I'm sure you do.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't play either, though it sounds as if you are intimately familiar with both...perhaps your 'wife' isn't real and she's as made as up as these attempted insults you are hurling? >>

See, now you had to suggest that my wife is imaginary.

She's sitting right next to me. We're planning our trip to Tampa tomorrow for the Yankees - Devil Rays game.

Break time from blowing up your man-doll is over. Keep huffing, idiot.

The Nordic fantasy games, Niam D'Sparil? Check who you play against. Sven and Lars.

I know, I know, you stopped "several" years ago. Is 2004 several years ago? A little closer than you think.

Bet you play online now through a 360 huh? Safer for you since it doesn't show in a search.
  • Options

<< <i>The Nordic fantasy games, Niam D'Sparil? Check who you play against. Sven and Lars.

I know, I know, you stopped "several" years ago. Is 2004 several years ago? A little closer than you think.

Bet you play online now through a 360 huh? Safer for you since it doesn't show in a search. >>

I play a 360 and everquest 2 (currently).

Any other 'jabs', tough guy? Or are you spent?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The Nordic fantasy games, Niam D'Sparil? Check who you play against. Sven and Lars.

Bet you play online now through a 360 huh? Safer for you since it doesn't show in a search. >>

I play a 360 and everquest 2 (currently).

Any other 'jabs', tough guy? Or are you spent? >>

Not spent but bored.

Let me hand you over to my "imaginary" wife.

She'll verbally b!+ch slap three ways 'til Sunday then drag you crying to your Mommy for another dose.

Puss.

• Options

<< <i>
    Not spent but bored.

She'll verbally b!+ch slap three ways 'til Sunday then drag you crying to your Mommy for another dose.

Puss. >>

Hah I didn't know those new robots could speak yet, let alone slap me.

You must have an advanced prototype. How's that fembot working out for you?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Not spent but bored.

Puss. >>

Hah I didn't know those new robots could speak yet, let alone slap me.

You must have an advanced prototype. How's that fembot working out for you? >>

Hey moron!

Check my past posts, you may see a picture.

In fact for a limited time I'll change my avatar back to her pic.

A true Yankee fan, with the attitude to go with it and a great woman to boot.

I truly wish that everyone in the world could have a relationship like ours. We laugh at the E Harmony commercial where the guy talks about finding a woman that would want to go to a ballgame with him. Hell, we found that and didn't have to pay for it!

From your posts though and comments about women, you'll be stuck in the Freudian world.

Say hi to Mommy!

• Options
    Pelfry looked good today, a little wild undoubtedly due to nervousness, but the big lead certainly worked to his favor. Nice to see him get the "W" in his first ML start.

Mets bats really ripped the cover off the ball in that second game. 17 runs! Their lineup can do some real damage! If they can get consistent starting pitching, they will make it to the Series for sure!

• Options

<< <i>
    Hey moron!

Check my past posts, you may see a picture.

In fact for a limited time I'll change my avatar back to her pic.
    >>

Wow! Those fembots look really lifelike!

<< <i>A true Yankee fan, with the attitude to go with it and a great woman to boot. >>

I didn't know robots had personalities...did you have to pay for that upgrade?

• Options
    ^^Not everyone lives in your fantasy world of sorcerer and magic Ax. Only you think such things are acceptable for an adult, but again...your a loser.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    <<Pelfry looked good today, a little wild undoubtedly due to nervousness, but the big lead certainly worked to his favor. Nice to see him get the "W" in his first ML start.>>

Grote - all I can say is thanks for getting this back on topic! (temporarily anyway)
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    Who was that other kid they had pitching late in the game? the kid who was originally a catcher? damn he was throwing gas, all over the place but he threw hard.

Pelfry looked good too and was able to get out of a couple of jams too.

what is goin on with bannister?

Steve
    Good for you.