Home Metal Detecting

a "wildcard" find for you (Esp. Goldrush!)

goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
the kids and I were in our golf car riding around a 52 acre field across the street picking up field stones to use around our landscaping. I leaned out of the cart to snag one and this caught my eye.

my 8 year old boy was ecstatic!

Comments

• Cool find Goose!

That's what's known as a Shallow Side Notched Point . It's made of Grey Coshocton and dates to around 3,000 B.C.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!

we got a nice rain last nite......I can hear scads of them calling out to me from across the street!

I haven't looked for them for 15 or more years. I think it will be fun for my son and I to do.....that is if we can find some more.

what's really ODD about this field......is that not long ago (last summer) the NUTJOB that lives against the one edge of it found an OLD and I mean OLD gravestone that looked to have been crudely made....back in his woods adjacent to this. He didn't dig it up or anything so who knows what might be around here.

• << <i>I think it will be fun for my son and I to do.....that is if we can find some more. >>

Good luck! If he takes a good interest in hunting, you should take him to the Archeological Society meeting this Fall. You both will be awestruck by the artifacts that will be displayed there. If he makes some finds he can enter them in the field find display and possibly win himself a cool ribbon.

Link to ASO
    imageimage
    we went out between showers on Saturday for a bit.......found all of these (including the first one which is also in this second pic) on the east side of a small hill.

• LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Nice follow-up Goose!

Hopewell point made of Black Coshocton flint. (200 BC-600 AD)

Fishspear point made of what looks like Pipe Creek Chert from Sandusky County. (4,000 - 5,000 BC)

BTW- if you can get away Sunday, you should come to the ASO meeting at the Aladin Shriner's Temple on Stelzer Road in Columbus.
    I'll be there checking out all the cool relics.
    imageimage
    I'd love to but I'll be at work from 6-6.image

what is the big thing on the top left?

it was something and it was big. it's missing a chunk on each end.
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Wow!! Nice finds goose3

• << <i>what is the big thing on the top left?

it was something and it was big. it's missing a chunk on each end. >>

Hard to tell really. Mid-section to a large blade? Looks like good quality Coshocton Gray flint.
    Appears to have fire popping on the right hand edge. Flint has moisture and when it is heated really hot the water within will expand till the pressure explodes slivers of flint everywhere.
    imageimage