Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help please!! 1972 Topps error/variations Green under "C" and "S"

Need some help here. I just sold a PSA #117 "Green under C and S"...this refers to green ink under the C & S in the CUBS team name on the front of the card. BUT, doing further research on my on, I have discovered TWO variations...please look at the scans and see what you think. Looks like there was all yellow ink under the letters, green under the UPPER arches of the C & S, and green under the UPPER & LOWER arches of the C & S. Who know about this...and which is rarer..and why doesn't PSA differentiate between the two "green" variatoins???...thanks for any help/comments! -Claude

NO GREEN .................................................................,,,.,,.,.,,.,.,.,...........GREEN under upper arches (sorry about the poor scan)
imageimage

GREEN UNDER BOTH PORTIONS!! (the one I sold)

and here is further proof that PSA also grades the "upper arches" as "green under letters" instead of "under C & S" ???!!! and check the pop. report, it doesnt even show a "green under letters" variation, only the "green under C & S"
imageletters

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    The Bonham card is MISLABELED; it should say yellow under letters. PSA has mislabeled these cards on a regular basis, There is only two variations of each of these cards.

( The coloring of the James card on the top right is terribly off......( i assume it's the lousy scan)
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    lostdart is correct, the Bonham is the common variation and is incorrectly labeled.

There are only 2 color variations, ones which have yellow under the C & S and ones which have green under the letters. The tone variations you refer to are either due to lighting variances while scanning/photographing the card and/or fading of the original ink tone which is a common occurance on cards that were stored in areas exposing them to sunlight.

The green under letters variations hold little premium and can be found quite easily in general.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, the Cleo James I sold last week went for over $60 in a PSA 8. I thought that was pretty good. image
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    nice job... perhaps in higher grade they are more popular... it's amazing what that set registry has done to people.

Do you collect/sell 72's? I am looking for Norm Cash #150 in PSA 8 or 9 and will pay way over SMR for one.
  • Options
    Sorry Josh...I do collect & also sell on Ebay. I dont have that Cash card...but I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. -Claude
  • Options

<< <i>nice job... perhaps in higher grade they are more popular... it's amazing what that set registry has done to people.

Do you collect/sell 72's? I am looking for Norm Cash #150 in PSA 8 or 9 and will pay way over SMR for one. >>

The Norm Cash is a tough card. There are only two or three PSA 9s and one is fairly recent. I believe the PSA 8 pop number is overstated by peeps breaking out and resubmiting.....

The Green letter variations are easy enough to find raw, but are all tougher to find graded in PSA 8 or better.....

• Options
    I know the Juan Pizzaro has the variation--is it on all Cubs cards from '72?
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options

<< <i>I know the Juan Pizzaro has the variation--is it on all Cubs cards from '72? >>

No, there are just 4 Cubs cards.........Bonham, Beckert, Pizzarro, and James. (first series cards only)

• Options
    I was reading your post about the variations I have 3 #45, and 1 #18. All look identical, I can find no difference in the 4 cards. Think these are labeled wrong as well? I tried to get my scans up but couldn't make them small enough. I have wondered about this for awhile now. Thanks for any help. image
  • Options

Here are the two correctly labeled variations:

imageimage

• Options
    Looks like I got 2 #45 Labeled Green Under that are actually yellow under. To bad it's not the PSA 9 Pizarro. That's a tough card to get in a 9! Only 5 of 'em. Thanks,
    Dwayne

• Options
    At the time of myoriginal post in April I did a lot of searching on Ebay and found that PSA had quite a few labeled wrong. I found several labeled "green under C and S" but were not.
  • Options

<< <i>At the time of myoriginal post in April I did a lot of searching on Ebay and found that PSA had quite a few labeled wrong. I found several labeled "green under C and S" but were not. >>

It appears that most of them recently graded are mislabeled and many before .....................it annoys me to no end..........

• Options
    It IS annpying...the green letter versions are much harder to get but the pop reports dont show it cuz they grade them as the wrong version!!!