Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

GREAT MOOGITY! A '54 PSA 10 Ernie Banks! Feast your eyes on this baby!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

Comments

• Options
    rough left edge. at least from the scan, I'd be disappointed if I bought this card and saw that edge.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    $55, 000 and they want you to pay for full S/H............
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Rough cut doesn't bother me a bit. Looks like a smokin' card! But moogity??? What in the heck is moogity??? image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    where was this recent 1954 wax pack find? most people cannot open a 1987 pack without problems and this guy gets a 50+ year old card in a pack and is gem mint?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I wonder why the other cards from the 'pack' are not up on ebay as well? Just other Banks stuff.

Nice card though.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>rough left edge. at least from the scan, I'd be disappointed if I bought this card and saw that edge. >>

I believe the rough cut on the edges are suppose to be normal for the 54 Topps. I think to a point where they even use it a gauge against trimming like they do with older OPC cards. I think it's a great looking card and would not be disappointed at all. The price however,.....................well, it'll never happen with me anyway.
  • Options
    Actually the original seller had a number of cards from the open packs listed as graded singles. There were a couple 10's and mostly 9's. 1954 Topps are absolutely stunning in this pristine grade.
  • Options
    I hate rough cuts, they just make the card look ugly. Glad others like them as it saves the smooth cuts for me.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, this card came from a Mastro auction.
    The Mastro people went to someone's house, who had found an unopened box. They opened a pack, got these GEM MINT cards, and had them graded. Mastro had all the other material up for auction, as well.

Doug
    "I saw Jacques Cousteau at the grocery store in L.A. once & I watched to see what he would buy, but he only got corn chips & some shoelaces & I don't know what I expected, but I would've settled for a can of chunk light tuna even. "
    Brian Andreas
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    King-
    I kind of like rough cuts on '54's, shows they were factory cut.
    312 is the easy grader though image
    Wonder if this came from those boxes of '54's Mastro got. Betting it was.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this guy won the card a few months back in the Mastro auction and has it up for sale already? I didn't check to see if it's the same cert # since I didn't keep the catalog and the Mastro website is down while they move their office. I wonder why he's selling so soon?

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    There are only 2 cards that I would even consider paying over $50,000 for, and this is not one of them.

Stay classy,

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Rough Cuts = Not Trimmed, hence I like them... Also means it was almost never handled.
    Always collecting vintage basketball and any ABA memorabilia.
  • Options
    Whoa! THAT is a show-stopper! What a wonder-card! Mercy! Absolutely gorgeous. Looks like a legit "10". What a stunner.

dgf
  • Options
    Again, where is all the print goo on the white background? No roller marks? A tilt? I've never seen a Banks that snow white with no distractions. What the...
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Awesome. I like the rough-cuts too for some reason. I dunno.

It's amazing that stuff like this survived the years, or that someone had a few old packs laying around untouched through the years. Makes me wanna go do some garage sale hopping... image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb card.

And some would say the slight rough cut ads a "real" feel to the card.

I like it! But, not for the kind of money.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Great moogity is right! That is a beautiful card. Not for $55K though.
  • Options

<< <i> I kind of like rough cuts on '54's, shows they were factory cut. >>

Anthony, I know that's a good thing - to know they were factory cut and little chance of being trimmed ... but I just don't like the look...just a personal eye-appeal thing.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice card. but the left edge next to his ear where it dips in would lead me to believe that spot is trimmed? Or was the card size just all over the place on this set?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Ernie Banks

Any takers for 11 grand less?
    Travis
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    # 94 ERNIE BANKS 62 251 247 228 186 58 119 47 14 9 2 1382

I guess this seller has both psa 10's for sale right now then?

beautiful card, money aside.

Julen
    TGIF baby

RIP GURU
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i># 94 ERNIE BANKS 62 251 247 228 186 58 119 47 14 9 2 1382

I guess this seller has both psa 10's for sale right now then?

beautiful card, money aside.

Julen
    TGIF baby >>

It's the same one from the previous auction. Same cert # at least
    Travis
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

It's the same one from the previous auction. Same cert # at least >>

Purchased from Mastro less than a year ago.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's the same one from the previous auction. Same cert # at least >>

Purchased from Mastro less than a year ago. >>

for...............?
  • Options
    baseballfanaticbaseballfanatic Posts: 2,415 ✭✭
    Kinda tough trying to flip a card on Ebay purchased from Mastro's.....
  • Options
    Here we go again, someone has a card, many of you would love to have, and you have to bash what the seller is asking for it, regardless of when and where he bought it at, and not to mention, expect said seller to ship it to you free. If I went to an auto dealer, and bought a $50,000+ Escalade, I still would have to pay a destination fee, sales taxes, and even registration!!! If the seller can get $50,000+, or even $30,000+ for it, more power to him/her, I am sure, down the line, someone would pay that much for it!!! If anyone of you had that card, submitted it, and only received an 8 or 9, you would be hell bent on resubmitting it too!!!

BTW, this is for the people who are bashing it, not the ones who would love it, but just would not spend the cash on it!!! If I had $30,000+ to spend, I can start a fund to pay for the education of a future kid of mine, or invest it. That is too much money for my needs to spend on a piece of cardboard!!!!
  • Options
    williplettwilliplett Posts: 471 ✭✭
    I am confused, if you go on Ebay right now you will see that exact same Banks up for bid with a BIN of $39k. It looks like it already went for 16k more. Maybe I am just tired?
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

That's right... i remember now, this is the scmuck that got all bent out of shape a few months back because we had asked for photo's of the back of the card and he wouldn't do it. There is a thread somewhere on that auction a few months back. I guess the card never sold. This seller works at or owns a ticket agency in chicago if memory serves me. I recall him selling season tickets for cubs games.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Awesome... i knew it wasn't the bong talking for me!

Julen
    TGIF
    RIP GURU
  • Options

RE:Few spots up about "Here we go again.....

Here we go again hearing someone complaining about complaints. Now I am complaining about your complaining. Whoa I'm dizzy. So what people have opinions. Let them be. Are we all supposed to give compliments and watch Mary Poppins?
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭

<< <i>Nice card. but the left edge next to his ear where it dips in would lead me to believe that spot is trimmed? Or was the card size just all over the place on this set? >>

It does look odd doesn't it