Home Sports Talk
Options

Why is the "jump-stop" legal in basketball?

Both feet are leaving the floor and you are neither passing nor shooting. So what gives?

Comments

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Because it is. Why not. It's not travelling....which is a worse offense that many guys get away with.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    But that's just it. It is travelling. You have stopped dribbling, and both feet have left the floor.

You can jump off the court completely, and that's ok. But if you lift your pivot foot, it's travelling. That just doesn't make any sense.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Gator - hear you. I'm not a ref, but if you jump stop your forward action, you have stopped it. Need to make a move. Far worse is the palming everyone gets away with.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>Gator - hear you. I'm not a ref, but if you jump stop your forward action, you have stopped it. Need to make a move. Far worse is the palming everyone gets away with. >>

Actually, that's the other thing I don't understand. I am trying to become a basketball fan, but the officials seem to have too much control over the ebb and flow of the game. Fouls are not as cut and dry as they are in football.

Oh well, life goes on I guess.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    sounds like someone is going to be going to bed singing Rocky Top! Nice choke

JS
  • Options

<< <i>sounds like someone is going to be going to bed singing Rocky Top! Nice choke

JS >>

Yeah, TB did great too, huh?

• Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    That's why it's hard to watch the pros at times. They get away with way too much. Traveling, carries, charges, etc... It has become pathetic. College is much better IMO.
  • Options
    You have not established a pivot foot with a jump stop. You basically are allowed about a step and a half continuation...ie a layup. Problem is with the pros it has become more like 2 and half or even 3 steps with MJ.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com