Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Remember 1986 Donruss "The Rookies" set?

Anyone remember that set? It had many of the hot rookie cards of the time. Ithink it hit it's peak in 1989-90. It had rookie cards of:

Bo Jackson
Barry Bonds
Bobby Bonilla
Will Clark
Ruben Sierra
Wally Joyner
Pete Incavillia
Kevin Mitchell
Jose Canseco

anyone know the aprox print run on this set?

Comments

• Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    How can you leave out Steve Lombardozzi?
  • Options
    JmnesqJmnesq Posts: 250 ✭✭
    At LEAST 20,000.

1986 Fleer/Donruss was perceived as limited, so the company turned up the presses on the Rookies set. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 50,000 of them.

THey're not limited.
    Jeff

Collecting Bowman Chrome Phillies Rookie Cards and Mike Schmidt certified auto cards.
  • Options
    I remember having the 86 TT set and pulling out my Juan Nieves after he pitched a No No....I was so excited...
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    I remember I had the hardest time finding the Will Clark when he got popular in those years. I ended up buying the set.
  • Options
    I think they are still making them upon request . . .image
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Anyone got a Scott Bankhead from that set? I need one.image
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Don't forget about the Kelly Gruber in that set ... image
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Heh. I bought the set for about $50 back in 1990. I thought I was getting a steal! Then in 1994, I traded the whole set off (along with OC 1983 T Gwynn and Boggs rookies) for a stack of out-of-print Magic the Gathering cards.

I sold the Magic cards a 7 years later for about $300. Who would of thought?
    On a side note, if I held on to those Magic cards, I could be selling them for about $600 on eBay. Ugh.

Upon my return to the hobby, the 1986 Rookies set was one of the first that I went for. Ended up getting one off of ebay for $16 back in 1998, before the whole Bonds Boom. I've always liked the set. Since it was so desirable back in my youth, there are good vibes associated with the set. :-)
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25