Home Sports Talk
Options

Worst Eagle's season ever for me

stevekstevek Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
Eagle's fans have endured many losing seasons, and it was usually always expected when we did lose, but losing after the high expectations going into this season, to me this season is the all time worst. Fortunately I do fully believe that the off season will produce some interesting acquisitions as well as the injured players returning healthy. So next season we will be back.

Comments

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    7-9 season is not bad after the crud that happened! i wish you luck next year but you didnt help us today! so i hope you s@ck next year image
  • Options
    i wouldn't mind playing you guys in the playoffs next year - as long as it's in atlanta!
  • Options
    <<< i wouldn't mind playing you guys in the playoffs next year - as long as it's in atlanta! >>>

I think the Falcons will also be back stronger next season.

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    the Eagles were 6-10 ... same difference though.

Yes it was a disappointment, but hey, Reggie Brown looks real good. So does Moats, and Perry could be a return man ... a weakness for years.

McNabb (no matter what this board thinks) is a stud QB, and will be back. So will Lito, and Dawkins, and the rest of the defense. A few holes will be filled and this time next season the Eagles will be resting their starters as home field and a bye will be locked.

Brian, what is your expectation of Vick next year?

Chris, what is the one thing the boys absolutely need?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Chris, what is the one thing the boys absolutely need?

flozell adams going down killed our season. him come back like he was and make the right side of the oline better we could make superbowl.

but yes we need a qb. but a good line and bledsoe could give us one more year. and like it or not eagles fans

maybe a 1 year TO rental type contract! defense we need a cb and a lb but we ok to win with what we got!
  • Options
    <<< 1 year TO rental >>>

Could happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Brian, what is your expectation of Vick next year? >>

To throw at least one TD to the right side of the field image Ok seriously, his passing stats are almost identical to last year's when the Falcons went to the NFC champ game. But the running game wasn't there this year. This was largely due to the defense giving up early leads and forcing the offense to catch-up. It's hard to run when you are losing. Vick had over 300 more rushing yards last year, and Duckett playing injured really hurt too, which forced Dunn to take on more work. The offensive line didn't do well in obvious passing situations so maybe draft an OL player or two, but other than that, I like Atlanta's offense. We also need to keep Schaub happy as he is a solid backup, and IMO capable to starting for a team. We need some help on defense - the line is good, and with Hartwell heathy so are the LB's, but the secondary needs some work - aside from DeAngelo Hall.

At times this year, the play-calling was just idiotic. I know I'm beating a dead horse for re-mentioning it, but the 3rd and 1 run with Duckett which lost a yard against Chicago, only to call the exact same play on 4th and 2... only to lose another yard, and sealed the Bear's win was some of the worst play-calling I've seen in a while. Also trying to pass on your own 16 in the waning minute of OT against the Bucs was equally stupid.

I know the Eagles have been really hurt by injuries on offense, but why did the defense, relatively injury-free, play so poorly?
  • Options
    The Boys also need a true blocking fullback!
    Go Cowboys!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options

I know the Eagles have been really hurt by injuries on offense, but why did the defense, relatively injury-free, play so poorly?

letting Simon go to Indy w/o another DT to step in really hurt ... Jimmy Johnson's D-line is based on rotation. That clearly hurt. But McDougal getting shot and Grasmanis going down din't help. Those two could have filled in as needed. Lito Sheppard was banged up most of the year before he officially went out, and there were sporadic injuries on defense as well.

I think the defense actually played okay however. They kicked the crap out of Dallas on Monday night, and the Seattle abomination really was the direct result of poor play by the QB - not McNabb that game.

One of those seasons, but I am more confident of next years team. I mean that.

- sidenote -

TO made a costly error ... besides all the crap he did to himself this year to basically rule out a long term contract, there are some solid free agent receivers out there this year. Not many playoff type teams have cap room, and I could not see a young team w/o playoff possibilities signing him.
  • Options
    Reggie Brown gonna be the go-to guy next year, I assume?
  • Options
    <<< Reggie Brown gonna be the go-to guy next year, I assume? >>>

Eventually yes, but the Eagles WILL sign the best free agent WR they can to be the #1 receiver. Brown will be the #2 unless things change in training camp. Greg Lewis I believe is clearly better suited as a #3 type receiver.

• Options
    <<< I know the Eagles have been really hurt by injuries on offense, but why did the defense, relatively injury-free, play so poorly? >>>

That is an excellent question. I agree with 1420 about letting Simon go although at the time I didn't diagree with the move by Reid - Simon had missed all of camp and guys like that many times get injured early in the season and are useless anyway. So Reid took a gamble there and lost. Losing that gamble was clearly seen in many third down passing situations when the Eagles wouldn't get any penetration up the middle - and not doing that affects the whole defense. I've always said that the big difference between poor defenses and great defenses is how they perform on third down - and the Eagles allowed way too many third down conversions this season at important points in their games.

Also for some reason the Eagles D just looked slower to me this season. Maybe that adrenaline rush of being in the Super Bowl and then the letdown of losing stays with players more than NFL coaches would care to admit. There has been a strong trend towards that which can't be ignored.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but the Eagles WILL sign the best free agent WR they can to be the #1 receiver >>

I don't believe this to be the case. The best I believe out there is Reggie Wayne, Eric Moulds,
    and restricted free agent Brandon Lloyd. Others like Antwain Randall-El and a few other forgetful
    names that are no better than what we have which makes me think the Eagles will not throw
    big dollars away to WR spot next year. I don't see any real big names here and they will have to
    overpay to get Wayne (since he is the best of a weak crop of WR's) which would be a mistake to me.
    I also fear they will lose Runyan which will be a big big loss! I hope not.

They need to spend some good $$$ on an impact DE and a real good DT if you ask me. I also would
    not mind a half decent backup QB so the season is not an automatic flop if McNabb goes down (although
    it would kill any decent playoff run). They could also use a decent linebacker. It stinks that they will
    draft so high even with 10 losses. Man the NFL had some bad squads this year. I'm also not sold
    on LJ Smith for the TE spot. He fumbles all the time and disapears in games alot. I guess this should
    be expected drafting a guy from a terrible Rutgers squad! LOL! Finally, they could use a decent big
    RB like a TJ Duckett to compliment Westbrook, Moats, and Perry (who might work as a return guy since
    JR Reid is supposedly finished). Also, can we do better than Josh Parry at FB? Finally, we might want
    to address through the draft or free agency a replacement for B.D. soon. I'm sure the draft can help
    some of the spots mentioned.

Did I ask for too much?

aconte
  • Options
    good points Tony ... I am not looking for a Reggie Wayne but one more like a Jurevicious or Bradford or Gaffney. Less money, and not the Eagles biggest need.

They will trade up this year.
  • Options
    If you read Andy Reid's recent quotes on the Eagles website, he is still very high on Buckhalter - a little crazy in my opinion based on him being injury prone. Maybe Reid knows something we don't know about how well he is healing.

I'm glad other people besides me have noticed BD slowing down. He had trouble covering too many receivers this season. Nobody is saying get rid of him but Jimmy Johnson is going to have to create a different defensive scheme to account for this.

I know Runyan is unsigned but unless some other team overwhelms him with an offer, I think the Eagles resign him. Andy Reid likes Runyan a lot and he can still play effectively.

I think McMahon and Detmer will both be gone - Detmer for certain. Yes a decent backup at quarterback is badly needed...tough to find though at a decent price.

Yes, maybe there's not much out there with WR but whatever is out there, Reid will go after him - that is a must. Greg Lewis is definitely not a winning #1 in the NFL right now and may never be. Perhaps Brown will be the #1, but unlikely only because of how young he is - and it depends on how training camp goes but in any event a WR will be signed or perhaps a trade of some type.

One thing for sure - it will be a helluva interesting off season and draft. As always I'm looking forward to it!

Steve