Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

ebayers who don't sell hockey to Canadians....

Wondering why this is the case?

While I respect one's right to do as they please with their auction(s), it doesn't seem to make financial sense to eliminate a group of potential bidders.

This practice probably doesn't matter much with other sports and brands, but why any seller would knowingly block Canadians' bids on OPC hockey cards is beyond me. I saw a decent '71-72 OPC Guy Lafleur rookie card close at $10 the other day when it should have closed at five times this amount. I am fairly certain other enthusiastic Canucks, stir crazy with the early onset of winter, had their bids on this card--and others by the same parochial seller--blocked, as mine was.

Perhaps the guy wants to avoid any payment mix-up/hassles, but I think most Canucks have a ready supply of US currency for smaller purchases, or can easily obtain a money order in US currency for larger purchases.

By the way, for those of you who know of the Canadian Football League (CFL), the Grey Cup kicks off today about 6:00 PM eastern. The Montreal Alouettes (they have to call all plays in both French and English) versus the Edmonton Eskimos (presumably they have an ardent supporter in fellow board member "knuckles", who resides in that bitterly cold city).

Eyebone
"I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i dont ship to anywhere outside the US because of Paypals seller protection policy..

Paypal will offer a canadian BUYER protection, and will give the BUYER his money back if the seller doesnt provide delivery confirmation..

how the hell can a seller provide delivery confirmation without spending an arm & a leg at the Postal Service?

screw that..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Thats why the guy got taken and won't again!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>Thats why the guy got taken and won't again! >>

I can understand the Paypal thing, but why accept money orders from Canadians? Bidpay is easy to use and gets the MO to the seller very quickly, fully negotiable in US dollars.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    I, too, can understand the paypal thing, but why not just stipulate in the payment terms that only cash or money orders are acceptable forms of payment from Canadians?

Again, the seller can do what he/she wants, but it must be costing them money in the long run, don't you think?

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    He probably didn't know that? You know the saying once bitten twice shy would be applicable here.
    You can't find an OPC Lafleur rookie from a Canadian dealer?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    i'm pretty sure, even if they pay with a money order or cash, they can file with ebay as "item not received".. so i'm pretty sure the seller still has to provide delivery confirmation..

·p_A·
  • Options
    I don't believe the seller has to prove delivery if payment is not a pay pal payment, like check or money order
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Delivery confirmation is less than a dollar, problem solved. That will pay for it self, if it means more $$ from Canadian bidders.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I often thought the guys bellow us were crazy for not offering hockey items to Canada.. I wanted a Grant Fuhr jersey of many jerseys this guy had up on eBay but he was very adamant on shipping within the US only. I offered Western Union wire transfer.. Bid Pay.. PayPal.. Money Order.. but he just wouldn't let me bid so I had a friend in the US win it for me. I ended up paying $80ish for it.. Well it didn't fit me (too big) so I put it on eBay and got $120ish for it. Friend kindly won the next size down for me from the same eBayer again for $80ish.. again it didn't fit me.. (sleeves were too short) so I just sold it on eBay again for $130ish. This guys whole business is selling mainly hockey jerseys. Look at how much money he's losing from not offering his stuff to Canada.

eh whatever, different strokes. Just doesn't make much sence to me. image
  • Options

<< <i>Delivery confirmation is less than a dollar, problem solved. That will pay for it self, if it means more $$ from Canadian bidders. >>

tell me how to provide delivery confirmation to canada for less than a dollar..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I've had Canadian money orders - in US dollars - returned from my bank. Even attempted to cash a $16 Canadian money order in Toronto while visiting . . . denied. Go figure.

As a native Minnesotan, I've always had a soft spot for the Canuck, so I'll continue selling north of the border. Besides, people always ask if I'm from Canada because I "talk funny."

• Options
    BTW, I have a few nice PSA '70's Topps hockey listed right now at eBay ID mitty13 Auctions end in a couple hours.

Sorry, haven't figured out the link deal yet.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it costs sellers money by not allowing Canadians to bid. However it is all because of Paypal. The seller has very little protection since USPS doesn't allow Delivery Conf to Canada. The only way to get any type of tracking is the higher cost insured mail. I could put that cost in for Canadian buyers, but the high cost would drive away most Canadian buyers anyway.

That is why I am getting out of hockey all together on ebay. If you don't sell to Canadians, it's just not worth it. I'm debating about blocking all international bidders from my auctions, but at this point the volume has been small.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>tell me how to provide delivery confirmation to canada for less than a dollar.. >>

Do your research. If that fails, charge the buyer the exact shipping charge plus delivery confirmation. That way it will cost you less than a dollar.
  • Options

<< <i>Do your research. If that fails, charge the buyer the exact shipping charge plus delivery confirmation. That way it will cost you less than a dollar. >>

once again, Jayhawk, you've spoken without knowing what the hell you're talking about..

you cannot provide USPS delivery conf. to canada.. definitely not for less than a dollar..

prove me wrong, and i'll be glad to take back my opinion of you, and my opinion is you are a real dumbass..

so, do your research and prove you arent as big of a dumbass as your posts make you out to be.. if that fails, your still a dumbass..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Delivery confirmation cannot be used outside of the US and that's a fact!
  • Options
    "so, do your research and prove you arent as big of a dumbass as your posts make you out to be.. if that fails, your still a dumbass.."

I just told you how to add the delivery confirmation cost to the actual shipping cost without costing you anything, now what in your thick head don't you understand about that jackalpuss. Do you get it now jackass. Try another delivery service. Again, make the buyer pay the actual costs. I don't care about your dirt star opinion.

"you cannot provide delivery conf. to canada.. definitely not for less than a dollar.." so which one is it? no delivery confirmation to Canada or not less than a dollar. Doesn't sound like you know what you are talking about as usually. It is obvious the number of your posts has no correlation to your intelligence. Make sure you capitilize proper names!!

• Options

<< <i>"so, do your research and prove you arent as big of a dumbass as your posts make you out to be.. if that fails, your still a dumbass.."

I just told you how to add the delivery confirmation cost to the actual shipping cost without costing you anything, now what in your thick head don't you understand about that jackalpuss. Do you get it now jackass. Try another delivery service. Again, make the buyer pay the actual costs. I don't care about your dirt star opinion.

"you cannot provide delivery conf. to canada.. definitely not for less than a dollar.." so which one is it? no delivery confirmation to Canada or not less than a dollar. Doesn't sound like you know what you are talking about as usually. It is obvious the number of your posts has no correlation to your intelligence. Make sure you capitilize proper names!! >>

yep, youre still a dumbass..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it proper to capitalize Jackass? There is no delivery confirmation outside of the US when using the USPS.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Sweet! First, one must ALWAYS factor in handling charges, as well.

Whomever (whoever?) stated that there is no USPS delivery confirmation to Canada is absolutely CORRECT.
  • Options
    "yep, youre still a dumbass.. "

Improper grammar = dumbass(Perry). Run away now.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure a seller needs delivery confirmation to win an item not received complaint that's filed through ebay (not paypal), but there's a $25 processing fee if the buyer wins a claim and I think the coverage is limited to $200.
  • Options

<< <i>"yep, youre still a dumbass.. "

Improper grammar = dumbass(Perry). Run away now. >>

so anyway, tell us how you did your research and how to provide delivery confirmation for less than a dollar..

or just admit you opened your mouth about something you know nothing about, again..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I've been selling to Canadians for over 10 years and will continue to do so. I have NEVER had a:

1) Bounced check
    2) Undeliverable/unable to forward returned package
    3) Problem with "attitude"
    4) Complaint about slow shipping (on the Canada Post end)

Sellers who don't do business with Canucks are just plain missing out. No problem, more business for me!

To the poster that had problems with returned Canadian MOs, I would suggest switching banks. I've been using Bank of America for several years now and have no problem with Canadian checks or money orders in US funds. I did have trouble with smaller banks years ago but since then I've used Citibank and BofA for business accounts and no problem with any international money orders or checks.

To those who have a problem with our neighbors from the North, take a trip up there sometime. It's a beautiful country, the people are friendly to a fault, the beer is ice cold, drugs are cheaper, the hockey is first rate, and most importantly, everyone doesn't carry a gun. Oh Canada!
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    BREAKING NEWS.....

For all you diehard CFL fans south of the border who are dying to know.....Edmonton 38 Montreal 35 (in overtime).
    :1Applause
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>I've been selling to Canadians for over 10 years and will continue to do so. I have NEVER had a:

1) Bounced check
    2) Undeliverable/unable to forward returned package
    3) Problem with "attitude"
    4) Complaint about slow shipping (on the Canada Post end)

Sellers who don't do business with Canucks are just plain missing out. No problem, more business for me!

To the poster that had problems with returned Canadian MOs, I would suggest switching banks. I've been using Bank of America for several years now and have no problem with Canadian checks or money orders in US funds. I did have trouble with smaller banks years ago but since then I've used Citibank and BofA for business accounts and no problem with any international money orders or checks.

To those who have a problem with our neighbors from the North, take a trip up there sometime. It's a beautiful country, the people are friendly to a fault, the beer is ice cold, drugs are cheaper, the hockey is first rate, and most importantly, everyone doesn't carry a gun. Oh Canada! >>

I've had dozens of repeat business (both buyers and sellers) representing hundreds of transactions from our friends from the North, with few problems. I've had some delays, and a few "sweat-it-out moments" for some expensive transactions, but all worked-out just fine in the end!

O' Canada!

rbd

edit: P.S. moose, cheap Rx drugs? LOL!
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    It was a very good game tonight. One of the best Grey Cups in years.
  • Options
    What's a Grey Cup?
  • Options
    I agree with Moose. Selling mostly hockey, 75% of my buyers are Canadian aye? No problems to date aye? image

Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    "so anyway, tell us how you did your research and how to provide delivery confirmation for less than a dollar.. "

"or just admit you opened your mouth about something you know nothing about, again.. "

HEH HEH HEH
  • Options

<< <i>once again, Jayhawk, you've spoken without knowing what the hell you're talking about >>

image i do not think jayhawk has ever sold a thing on ebay. (this is not meant as an insult.) the problem i had was that canadian buyers ignored my ship terms to canada and sent US SHIPPING AND INSURANCE like i was shipping to states. so after having it happen about 3x i just quit shipping there.
  • Options
    I have never had a problem with Canadian buyers. There have been a few close calls due to border delays, but every deal has gone through.

Since the lockout, hockey has been a small part of my business. The reason of my hesitation to do anymore business with non-U.S. buyers is because my bad experiences with Paypal customer service. I got screwed by an ebay seller of football box cases (pjsbullpen) and Paypal wouldn't do anything for me. I had to contact Visa ro get the slugs to move. After that experience I decided to follow Paypal's guidelines to the letter.

I asked Paypal for help on how to get reasonable delivery confirmation for Canadian buyers. The response was to find another service other than USPS. The problem is that other services do not make financial sense except for higher dollar cards.

If any of our Canadian friends can give us insight on a reasonable delivery confirmation service, PLMK. Also the service has to be on-line.
    Mike
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>rbtjr1 wrote: P.S. moose, cheap Rx drugs? LOL! >>

Yeah - Rx drugs - that's what I meant...but a "friend" of mine said...well better not go there :-)

• Options

<< <i>What's a Grey Cup? >>

Canadian football championship trophy, predates the Lombardi trophy by about 60 years. Yesterday's Grey Cup game went to overtime. One of the best football games I've ever seen on either side of the border.
  • Options

<< <i>If any of our Canadian friends can give us insight on a reasonable delivery confirmation service, PLMK. Also the service has to be on-line. >>

Unfortunately, I don't think such a service exists, outside of UPS/Fedex/etc. Sadly I think the only way to include Canadians but remove the Paypal risk is to not allow Paypal for Canadians. I believe 4_sharp_corners/making_the_grade does it this way.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    You can use Global Priority and get tracking internationally. It starts around $18. I sent an Ichiro signed ball to Taiwan this way and a few nice Lemiuex rookies to Canada this way as well. Other than that, obviously we've all agreed you can't use standard DC as it's domestic only. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    I'm actually going to be bidding on a card being offered by Making_The_Grade on eBay and they don't allow PayPal from Canadians so I'll be just paying via BidPay instead which they're fine with.

To the guys selling stuff to the US only why don't you just offer the stuff to Canada as well but have in your shipping terms: Canadians to pay $8 (or whatever it is) for shipping via USPS Express Post or Registered whatever.. If I want a card bad enough from the US I'll pay the $8 shipping for it. Also state you will only accept BidPay payments.. This way your safe and you'll potentially increase your sales greatly by offering your stuff to thousands more.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I am also selling some 70's PSA hockey right now and would be glad to ship to Canada.

Just out of curiosity, how much would shipping 1 PSA card to Canada run?

Thanks,

Jordan
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Usually I use air post and 1 graded card with cardboard protector and bubble envelope should be around $1.75. You may have to fill out a customs form depending on your post office.
    Mike
  • Options
    raym8raym8 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    Since I deal only in hockey, most of the cards I sell on ebay end up north of the U.S. border. I have been fortunate thus far in that I have never had a problem with any Canadian buyer paying with paypal, though I do insist that if anyone pays with paypal that they have a verified address.

It costs me $1.10 in postage to ship a single card protected by cardboard on both sides in a bubble mailer to Canada via the USPS (air mail). You should have the small customs form attached to the mailer. I've had some packages returned without it.

For any card that sells over $250, I insist on registered mail, which normally runs around $10. It is cheaper than express overnight, and is the most secure. It also requires the buyer to sign for the item and the package can be traced from origin to destination.

• Options
    I wish I was a Canadian.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I usually email dealers that list they will not ship to Canada and try and work something out. I certainly understand if they elect not to ship. The border hassles, no insurance available, no paypal guarantee etc. make it difficult. I do find that once some dealers get to know you they do not mind shipping to Canada.
    Shipping from Canada to the US can also be a problem. I sent an item today that I wanted to insure for $2100. I was told at Canada Post that only Puralator could insure a package over $1000 out of the country. It cost me $56.00 to ship one item.
  • Options
    I wonder how one of Mikes experimental mailings of a psa graded card shipped with stamp alone right on the slap would make out all the way to Canada. image