Home Sports Talk
Options

Another interesting fact...

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
....that 11 of the tampa bay devil rays 60 wins this season came at the hands of the new york yankees, a team with nearly 8 times their payroll.

How pathetic is that? The yankees should be b***** slapping teams like the D'rays around. How pathetically bad they were against the D'rays is the difference between the yankees having to wait until the last weekend to see if they are in or out.

If the yankees play .500 ball against a horrible Tampa team, they win the division easily. Doesn't it suck, yankee fans, that your season is in jeopardy because 'your' team couldn't sac up and beat the D'rays?

Comments

• Options

FACTOIDS:

(1) The Red Sox lost 11 out of 18 games to the Blue Jays

(2) The Red Sox lost their last all important series to the Devil Rays.

(3) The Yankees swept the Rays in their last all important series.

(4) The Seattle Mourners are 1 game better than the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
  • Options
    Why do you insist on this moronic comparison of the D'rays to the Blue Jays?

There is NO comparison between the two teams, you TWIT!

And my Mariners? They spent less than HALF the yankees' payroll. Good thing you think that only 'successful' teams are worth rooting for....again, just proves my point you only like the yankees because they've won the most world series.

You're such an idiot.
  • Options

Does anybody know how much the Mourners spent vs. the Rays on payroll this year?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    There is no comparison between Toronto and Tampa Bay.

If Toronto had not lost Roy Halladay to injury in July, not only would he have easily won the Cy Young Award, but the Jays would have contended right up until the very end. Tampa Bay was out of it by July 1. But, they were still kicking Yankee behinds right through September.
  • Options

I believe (someone please look it up) that the Rays had a better record than the Red Sox since the All-Star break. The Yankees had the BEST record in all of Major League baseball since then.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anybody know how much the Mourners spent vs. the Rays on payroll this year? >>

Spin boy spin! Spinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

The fact remains: The Yankees, with a payroll OVER $200 million, were DOMINATED by a Tampa Bay team with less than 1/8th of their payroll.

The fact remains: if the yankees and their infinitely higher payroll and talent play .500 ball against tampa bay, the yankees cruise to a division title.

Spin all you want, the fact remains the yankees CHOKED time and again against the lowly, lowly tampa bay devil rays. A team in such array early in the season their manager said he would be switching their starters and relievers. A team in disarray a player on said team came out and said the manager was the cause for all their woe.

Pathetic.
  • Options
    So spammy...what's the deal?

Where's your spin on this topic?
  • Options
    Who cares if they've played down to their competition at times. They're playing all the good teams well which is why they win all the tie breakers should we have an interesting finish this weekend.
  • Options
    But they DIDN'T play down to their competition.

They got OWNED by the D'rays, a team they should pummel each and every night, and that SINGLE fact is why the yankees have to fight it out this weekend with the Red Sox for a playoff spot, instead of clinching a week ago and resting their starters like the Angels are.

• Options
  • Options
    Wow, another premature spamulation post? You hit reply before even typing anything? You know spammy, they make something for that...

How long until the edit shows up?
  • Options

No words needed whatsoever. image
  • Options

<< <i>No words needed whatsoever. image >>

Yes, the violinist has played over the yankees efforts against the D'rays all season.

How else do you explain that the D'rays, who only won 60 games all year, who have 1/8th of the yankees payroll,. won 11 over those 60 games against the 'mighty' yankees?

You're pathetic, spammy. Now quit spinning!
  • Options
    Axtell - all I'm saying is that it's more important to me that they play well against the good teams in the AL which they have. So the Devil Rays spanked them, so what? They're not facing the Devil Rays should they make the playoffs. Also the Yanks have been killing the mediocre teams lately if that makes you happy image
  • Options

Yep, went into Tampa Bay and beat 'em 3-0 as well as beating up on all the better teams including the Red Sox for the past few months.
  • Options

<< <i>Axtell - all I'm saying is that it's more important to me that they play well against the good teams in the AL which they have. So the Devil Rays spanked them, so what? They're not facing the Devil Rays should they make the playoffs. Also the Yanks have been killing the mediocre teams lately if that makes you happy image >>

I don't care, but as a yankee fan, you should be concerned that the lowly D'rays are the team that put you in this predicament.

If the yankees with their infinitely higher payroll and talent levels, they should be owning the D'rays.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>I don't care, but as a yankee fan, you should be concerned that the lowly D'rays are the team that put you in this predicament. >>

A month ago we were 5 games out. Now we're 1 game up. What me worry image?
  • Options
    <<A month ago we were 5 games out. Now we're 1 game up. What me worry ?>>

Saturday, September 10th, less than three weeks ago, I was at the game when the Yankees lost 9-2 to the Red Sox and Catsup Sock Mouth. At that point they were 4 1/2 games out. They have gained 5 1/2 games since. I am a Good Luck charm. image
  • Options

<< <i><<A month ago we were 5 games out. Now we're 1 game up. What me worry ?>>

Saturday, September 10th, less than three weeks ago, I was at the game when the Yankees lost 9-2 to the Red Sox and Catsup Sock Mouth. At that point they were 4 1/2 games out. They have gained 5 1/2 games since. >>

You 'fans' are missing the point.

You shouldn't have EVER been in this mess...with a payroll that dwarfs your nearest competitor $208million vs. $135, the yankees should never even have had this season in doubt.

Making it worse, flailing around like a fish out of water against the hapless D'rays...hell, you all even split against the 'mourners' (2 and 2).

PATHETIC.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Axtell, The D-Rays played extremely well against the Yankees this year BUT ended up getting swept in the final series of the year. The Yankees were 8-11 against the them. Your word "dominated" is ridiculous

The Red Sox got slapped around all year by a Blue Jays team that the Yankees slapped around all year. You can't point to one team vs team record and make assumptions like you are doing. You are grasping for straws. Stop drinking so much of that Starbucks!!!!

Do you guys EVER worry about your own teams ? No, its obvious,

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Starbucks spiked with Sterno. It is a very lethal combination. image
  • Options
    Axtell, the biggest flaw you have in your "arguements" is CONSTANTLY refering to team payroll vs. team payroll. While it is a factor, the games are still played by professionals on both sides on the field. Your anxiety over everything NY is humorous. Why don't you complain more vocally about the Seattle Mariners who have again settled into a sad sack franchise state. Ownership has the cash, but they DON"T CARE about winning. George Steinbrenner would rather win, this is why he pours that Yankees fortunes back into the team.

You are no baseball "fan" Ax, you are a sniveling, whiny, spoiled, coffee drinking with his pinky out, BRAT

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

I can not take it anymore.

imageimage
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can not take it anymore.

imageimage >>

Can't you find your own material, Spammy?

Since you are an unoriginal youngster, I guess it's understandable.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I'm off to Fenway heaven! image Goodbye all of you lurking Yankee fans!

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Goodbye all of you lurking Yankee fans! >>

Yeah, there sooooooo many lurking Yankee fans here.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Axtell, the biggest flaw you have in your "arguements" is CONSTANTLY refering to team payroll vs. team payroll. While it is a factor, the games are still played by professionals on both sides on the field. Your anxiety over everything NY is humorous. Why don't you complain more vocally about the Seattle Mariners who have again settled into a sad sack franchise state. Ownership has the cash, but they DON"T CARE about winning. George Steinbrenner would rather win, this is why he pours that Yankees fortunes back into the team.

You are no baseball "fan" Ax, you are a sniveling, whiny, spoiled, coffee drinking with his pinky out, BRAT >>

You are no 'fan' either softparade (heaven knows why you call yourself soft..guess that's another discussion).

Again settled? If they had settled, they wouldn't have gone out and signed Beltre and Sexson...Beltre turned out to be a bad move, but Sexson is likely to be comeback player of the year, and a young pitching staff anchored by the next great pitcher, Felix Hernadez.

What does having an enormous payroll allow you to do? It allows you to cover up mistake after mistake after mistake. Kevin Brown anyone? What about giving a broken down never was like Bernie Williams $18 million? Is THAT a good move?

The yankees can afford to make ridiculous contract mistakes over and over because they can cover those mistakes up with more cash. When the pitching staff pisses away $85 million, every other team would be out of luck. But because of seemingly unlimited funds to spend, the yankees are able to cover over that crap with more money.

It's good to see you pulling the typical 'your argument makes sense and mine doesn't so I'm going to call you names!' tactic. Look, it's obvious the yankee fans here are oblivious to the fact the yankees have make (and continue to make) mistakes on an ongoing basis. Whether it's a failure of management (specifically steinbrenner), players not putting out max effort, or all of the above, the yankees and the amount of talent, is a failure. The sheer fact they have all-stars at nearly every position yet they are struggling to make the playoffs should not be accepted by any yankee fan, it should be called what it is - an embarassment.

It's also clear to me the yankee fans here will NEVER find any fault with anything the yankees do. The will never look at the repeated blunders and mistakes they make and say 'hey that was a bad move', yet when it's pointed out, they are quick to insult.

• Options

<< <i>I'm off to Fenway heaven! image Goodbye all of you lurking Yankee fans! >>

At least you know where the real fans are and what a real ballpark is!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm off to Fenway heaven! image Goodbye all of you lurking Yankee fans! >>

At least you know where the real fans are and what a real ballpark is! >>

All paid for, and subsidised by, the American taxpayers money!image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

At least you know where the real fans are and what a real ballpark is! >>

All paid for, and subsidised by, the American taxpayers money!image >>

Come on now, it's not like Fenway is the ONLY ballpark paid for by taxpayer money....there are very, very few privately financed stadiums anymore.