Home Sports Talk
Options

U.S. "Dream Team" loses to Puerto Rico

I never liked the idea of sending pros to the Olympics. I think that, in the future, we should just send the best amateurs and whoever deserves to win it - should.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Why not pros? Shouldn't it be the best, whether they be pro or not? It's not like other countries aren't sending pros (look at how many NBA'ers are playing for their home country), and most countries have athletes who are basically paid by their country.

I think that it should be the absolute best athlete, pro or amateur.
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    Ditto Ax, I cant wait till Football becomes an Olympic event.... image
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What irks me is that they think they are to good to stay in the Olympic Village. They have to stay in a luxury hotel outside of town. image

Shane

• Options
    I say we just make Puerto Rico an official state, and claim the victory doesn't count.
  • Options

<< <i>Ditto Ax, I cant wait till Football becomes an Olympic event.... image >>

Yeah, and then when the rest of the world catches up to you in that sport, we can go through the whole "pros don't belong in the Olympics" debate once again image

<< <i>I say we just make Puerto Rico an official state, and claim the victory doesn't count. >>

Last I checked, you can't just "make" them a state. Puerto Ricans voted just a few years ago to retain their current commonwealth status, and not seek independence or statehood.
  • Options
    UndertakerUndertaker Posts: 5,200 ✭✭

<< <i>I say we just make Puerto Rico an official state, and claim the victory doesn't count.
    Last I checked, you can't just "make" them a state. Puerto Ricans voted just a few years ago to retain their current commonwealth status, and not seek independence or statehood. >>

You wouldn't recognize sarcasm or a joke if it bit you in the ass now would you?
  • Options

<< <i>You wouldn't recognize sarcasm or a joke if it bit you in the ass now would you? >>

Nope image
  • Options
    Pretty embarrassing. But, if the "Dream Team" was made up of amateurs like it should be, it wouldn't look so bad.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options

<< <i>Last I checked, you can't just "make" them a state. Puerto Ricans voted just a few years ago to retain their current commonwealth status, and not seek independence or statehood. >>

Actually, the guy's joke is pretty close to reality. By "a few years back" you must mean 1998, and it was a plebiscitary vote that took place. And the citizens of Puerto Rico didn't vote to retain "their current commonwealth status", they favored the "None of the Above" option in a collective protest of the uselessness of the plebiscite.

Now, carry on with your regularly scheduled postings.

4000000 displaced Iraqi refugees * 655000 Iraqi deaths *
    4047 dead servicemen * 27104 wounded servicemen *
    Billions of dollars wasted ....

• Options

<< <i>By "a few years back" you must mean 1998, and it was a plebiscitary vote that took place. And the citizens of Puerto Rico didn't vote to retain "their current commonwealth status", they favored the "None of the Above" option in a collective protest of the uselessness of the plebiscite. >>

However you want to word it, they did not vote in favor of statehood, which was one of the "above" choices on the ballot.
  • Options
    I'm not making that argument. I never said that the peoples of Puerto Rico voted for statehood, independence, independence w/ USA ties, or Commonwealth status. YOU, in fact, were the one that incorrectly stated that they voted to "retain their commonwealth status".

• Options

<< <i>YOU, in fact, were the one that... stated that they voted to "retain their commonwealth status". >>

...which they did by choosing "none of the above," thereby maintaining the status quo.
  • Options
    Just noticed you responded, so I feel the need to respond as well.

You've stated that Puerto Rico cannot be just "made" a State. The fact is that the Congress and President hold to power to make a Commonwealth or territory a state, and in the end it is them that decide if PR becomes a state. Plebiscites mean nothing. Ok, let me repeat that again so you can understand it: Plebiscites mean nothing.

The fact that the 5th column was a option in the Plebiscite was a highly contested issue. Those opposing the uselessness of the 1998 Status Plebiscite wanted it included as a form of protest. It was included and got the majority of the vote .... as a form of protest. The "status quo" that you claim Puerto Rico favored was a option, but didn't receive votes.

• Options
    If sending the "Best" against others "Best" is the objective,
    then it would be best to send our college athletes to the
    Olympics.

I'm not saying they are better than the pros, but many of
    these kids come out of systems that would adapt better
    to the international rules and style of play.

The NBA has become such a street-ball league, that it
    can not adapt to Olympics rules.