Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Accugrade Crackout => PCGS Submission

I must be board! I took a 1968 Roosevelt Accugrade MS69 and cracked it out for a PCGS submission, hoping to make a PCGS MS67 FB, a very nice coin considering I bought the coin for $15 on an Ebay auction. Any guess what the ratio for accugrade to pcgs tends to run? It could not go lower than an ms66 I figure but it is my first such attempt and it should be fun!

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll probably get your MS67+ grade out of PCGS. As bad as some of the Services (AGC/ NTC) are with high grade Proofs when it comes to MS69 or even MS70 (they're out there- I have an NTC MS70 1972-S Ike!) they are usually within a couple of points. Why? Pure speculation, but I think it's actually easier to grade a MS69 or MS70 coin as there is LESS to look for than an MS67 and so forth.
    Think about it. No marks? Full strike? Luster? "MS70"- where in reality there may be a 'hidden' mark or two that really places that MS70 in the "PCGS MS68" catagory, or close.

As stated though: Proofs are a different story as hairlines and alterations (etched CAM's and DCAM's) are easier to fool.

peacockcoins

• Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    The gems coins either pop out at you or they don't in my opinion, it just depends upon the grading standards at each particular company. My guess is most MS coins from the companies with lesser standards: ACG, NTC and IGC to name a few will be 3 grades behind on the average. I have purchased some ms68 Lincoln's from those companies and they are about 3 to 4 grades overgraded. The next Tier: NGC and ANACS seem to run 1 to 2 grades over.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, the "MS68's can grade two or three points over but the "MS69" or "MS70" although not true to grade WILL grade out as MS68+ at PCGS. I've had PCI MS69 silver Ikes grade at PCGS in 68 and that is for all three years. I've had a 1971-S Ike In "MS68" grade out at MS67 with PCGS.

So, the MS67's are MS64's but the MS69's can be MS67 or MS68s.

peacockcoins

• Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Well, results are in and it's a pcgs ms66 FB - sounds about right. Not quite an ms69, 3 to 4 grades down seems to be the difference. Another interesting coin is an 1967 Roosie that was in a PCGS sms67 holder that I cracked out and now it's graded pcgs ms66. They can't friggen tell the difference between an sms and an ms coin!!!! I go through this with them way too much. The grading change is the normal confusion too!