Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

WTB: 1984 Isle of Man Gold Double Sovereign

LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to buy this Coin from the Isle of Man…

1984 2 pound (double sovereign)

If you have one of these or know where one is, please PM or reply to thread,

Thank you

It's all about what the people want...

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stopped my heart for a minute as I thought this might be a rumored Viking reverse coin....Have not seen one recently. What was the venue of the sold coin?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@7Jaguars

It was listed on EBAY last year, I went to make an offer and botched it on my phone.

By the time I went to call the shop to work out a deal, it was gone

https://www.sfcoinjewelry.com/collections/world-coins-graded/products/isle-of-man-1984-proof-2-pounds-gold-pcgs-pf68-mintage-20-rare-agw-0-4694oz-pc1?variant=40509665050780

The Reverse is nice on this one, they made 1 sovereign, a Double Sov and a 5 pound coin with the same reverse...

One day

• Options

Ah, yes, I may recall that. I too collect IOM but have stuck to the viking issues. I have heard there may be a 1984 viking on horseback as well what may possibly be other mint-generated "sport" issues.... My that store has some imaginative pricing on some of their other coins!

• Options
    edited April 21, 2022 6:19AM

@7Jaguars I think the prices are a bit inflated so you can make a "best offer"?

I imagine you are talking about this reverse as a possible strike for the 1984 year? Maybe a mule or like you said some mint shenanigan's... have some other similar sport coins surfaced recently ?

So far I have the Gold Angel, and the Viking ship Half Noble , but the crests and a viking on horseback i imagine would all look pretty good together.

• Options

Yes, I think so & they would. Yes, that is the design. I was able to get a couple of the 1983s which are fairly scarce but seem to remember something about some odd year "vikings" somewhere....

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2022 11:25PM

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options

@1984worldcoins

Beautiful Sovereign in original packaging.

Congratulations on that one

• Options
    edited August 16, 2022 9:27AM

• Options
    edited March 19, 2024 6:47PM

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    I would like to buy this Coin from the Isle of Man…

2 pound (double sovereign)

If you have one of these or know where one is, please PM or reply to thread,

Edit: August 16th, Adding $100 reward leading to the capture of this rare beast... can be raw or graded,

Thank you

I thought the 1884s 1/2, 1, 2, and 5 were all BU and not proofs. At least that is the documentation I have on the series. There is supposed to be a 1982 2£ four shield proof, but I have never seen one.
    @7Jaguars

Either of you have documentation stating otherwise? Did PCGS get it wrong?

• Options
    edited August 18, 2022 7:46AM

@Exbrit said:

I thought the 1884s 1/2, 1, 2, and 5 were all BU and not proofs. At least that is the documentation I have on the series. There is supposed to be a 1982 2£ four shield proof, but I have never seen one.

I have read multiple conflicting statements on mintage numbers with the most recent (no substantiating documents) stating that there were 20 MS sets and 20 Proof sets in 1984.

I did find a picture of an NGC 2£ that is a proof and graded accordingly...

Curiously I couldn't find any pictures of MS examples floating around the internets... do you have any pictures of MS coins
    @Exbrit ?

Thanks
    edit:picture resize

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2022 11:37AM

@LukeMarshall said:

@Exbrit said:

I have read multiple conflicting statements on mintage numbers with the most recent (no substantiating documents) stating that there were 20 MS sets and 20 Proof sets in 1984.

I did find a picture of an NGC 2£ that is a proof and graded accordingly...

Curiously I couldn't find any pictures of MS examples floating around the internets... do you have any pictures of MS coins
    @Exbrit ?

Thanks
    edit:picture resize

I do, but I’ll have to look for the photos - or take some. I do recall the proof issues now.

Cheers

• Options

Bump