Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1933 Goudey Babe Ruth 181 expert advice // now with results

jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
edited January 29, 2022 11:32AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I have a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth card that was given to me 30 years ago. I had stored it away until recently and I have to admit I forgot I had this card. But I honestly don’t have any experience with this set/year and need experienced opinion if it is real so that I will submit it to PSA. Thanks in advance.

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax

Comments

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

I’ve owned multiple copies of that card, and I’m pretty sure that is a legit copy. Unfortunately, I think it’ll come back as “Authentic Altered” from PSA due to the erased “RT” to the right of his head. Or maybe it’ll get a number grade with the MK qualifier. Beautiful card, though!

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me.
    Worth grading even if to separate it from all the fakes and reprints out there.

nice

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Looks good. Psa or sgc is where I’d go with it.
    Or I’d purchase from you as-is if your end goal is to sell. If so shoot me a PM

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would consider SGC for that card. they are very good with pre war and it would save you money on the submission.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I would consider SGC for that card. they are very good with pre war and it would save you money on the submission.

Also, if SGC determines those letters are simply faded as opposed to erased, it may get a straight number grade as opposed to an A.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

looks great to me

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, one way to tell if it is legit is to put a loupe to it and see if the photo portion of the card has "print pixels". Not the back ground colors or any text...only the photo portion. If it has "pixels" then it should be authentic. If no pixels then it is a fake.

Could someone please confirm if I am right or wrong on this? This method goes for a 1952 Topps Mantle as well or any fake card, I believe. In other words, does anybody know of a counterfeit that has pixels in the photo? The only one I can think of would possibly be a Star Co Michael Jordan rookie and that is only because the same printing process was used after Star Co went out of business. Am I right on this?

Shane

• Options

Great card! Yes, you'll want to get that graded no matter what. It's unfortunate about the "R T" but even so that's a great looking card that will command good money should you decide to sell it.

• Options

Looks real to me also. Unfortunately, due to the erasure for RT on the card, it will most likely receive the Authentic/Altered grade. It still has great eye appeal, however. Congrats for finding it again!

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

I like it!

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

RT was a dumbass.

• Options
    edited January 24, 2022 12:02PM

PSA bound

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Let us know when it goes for auction, perhaps some will be interested in bidding.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

Nice card, I am also guessing "A" for the grade.

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Man, I hate it when I forget that I have a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth in my collection! Now where did I put it? Lol!

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the grade!

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would love to own one! Congrats!

Shane

• Options

You did awesome, congrats!

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done. Big-Time congrats!

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats!!!

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

Iconographic card in a GREAT grade. Congratulations!!

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

That was essentially my dream card, only because for some reason it called out to me when I was a kid. I landed a 1 before the prices spiked in the last couple of years.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is awesome.

How would it have graded without the RT?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

Congrats on an iconic card!!

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

How did you get it graded so quickly? I'm impressed!

• Options
    edited February 1, 2022 12:36PM

Express