Home Sports Talk
Options

BROWNS Kareem Hunt out "4 to 6 weeks"............BAKER TO SIT

Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 20, 2021 7:50AM in Sports Talk

Looks like Hunt is going to be out for awhile, along with Bakers shoulder injury and Chub sitting out last week then a Thursday game this week doesn't sound too good...............

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/10/18/cleveland-browns-await-results-tests-running-back-kareem-hunts-injured-leg/

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

they had an extensive Injury Report for the last two games and it's gotten longer each week. they'll probably take a loss to Denver and the streak could get as bad as 5-6 if some of the guys don't get healthy. I was thinking last night that with the injuries and the way the defense is playing right now they don't look like they could beat anyone. they went through the same thing last season with Nick Chubb's knee early on, but once he returned they were OK.

this season is looking worse with the injuries: two starting wide-outs, both starting tackles, both starting RB's and likely the QB. and that's just on offense.

• Options

Chub and Owusu-Koramoah ruled out for Thursday, OBJ not practicing because of the shoulder injury from Sunday's game also. Not looking good for the Brownies..........

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Injuries are part of the game but this is tough for the Browns. I think they should rid themselves of OBJ regardless and work on getting some WR’s they can count on for next year.

• Options

@perkdog said:

[ I think they should rid themselves of OBJ regardless and work on getting some WR’s they can count on for next year. ]

I'm all for it. Look how good the offense was after he got hurt last year - Coincidence? Maybe, but Baker seems to be trying too hard to get him the ball most of the time

• Options

missing in the "get rid of OBJ" discussion is that right now it isn't a valid comparison between what happened last season vs. what is happening now.
    -- last season prior to OBJ being injured the Browns were without Nick Chubb for six games. then OBJ went down and Chubb returned.
    ---this season, OBJ returned and the Browns first lost Jarvis Landry, arguably their best receiver, then Nick Chubb again and both starting Tackles.

I'm not trying to defend OBJ, only pointing out that he has never played with a full complement of other players. when all the above mentioned guys are together we will see how they play to compare that with the last half of 2020.

right now the Browns are beat up very badly. they are lucky to have enough depth to field a Team to play. Thursday against Denver might get ugly and they'd be wise to let Case Keenum play as Baker heals along with everyone else. if the Team is together and healthy they have some very winnable games ahead of them with the Steelers, Bengals, Patriots and Lions before they face the Ravens twice in 11 days.

as it now looks, they could be anywhere from 10-3 to 3-10 if they don't get healthy fast and figure something out. if they end up around .500 after the two games with the Ravens they should feel like they won the Lottery.

• Options

Well, I know one way for the Browns to win on Thursday - I'm going to bet on the Broncos - :#

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Well, I know one way for the Browns to win on Thursday - I'm going to bet on the Broncos - :#

Same here lol

• Options

Breaking news - Mayfield to sit out Tomorrow. Keenum starting!

• Options

this is what I expected would happen. despite much being made of Baker Mayfield's comments yesterday, what starter isn't going to say what he said?? they all think they can play through injuries and every player thinks he can and wants to play. that's why they have Medical Staffs which are involved in the decision process and someone like a Head Coach that makes the ultimate decision.

I hope Keenum plays well enough for the Coaches to consider allowing Baker to sit out more than just the one game, at least let him sit until the two starting Tackles are healthy. he's been at 100% for just five quarters of play thus far and might lose the entire rest of the season.

• Options

I think it’s a smart play, Baker is hurting and should be rested

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

He’s got 10 days and of course one good fall on it and he’ll have problems again.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the injuries to the Starters from Offense: WR Landry, WR OBJ, T Wills, T Conklin, RB Chubb, RB Hunt, QB Mayfield.

that's seven starters, it's easier to remember who's healthy.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Case Keenum at his best is exactly the same player as Baker Mayfield is at his best. Literally no difference

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Case Keenum at his best is exactly the same player as Baker Mayfield is at his best. Literally no difference

m

I’ve always said Keenum should have stayed in Minnesota. I like him, I think your close but with the age factor I think Mayfield is the better option

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

I’ve always said Keenum should have stayed in Minnesota. I like him, I think your close but with the age factor I think Mayfield is the better option

Oh if both were healthy for sure. But my point is that they both have the same upside in any given game. Unless you are a Cleveland Browns homer I don't think anyone thinks Baker is much inside the top 15 QB's in the NFL. He is middle of the road.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

You may have a QB comparable to Baker BUT without starting Receivers, Lineman, and Running backs - it may get ugly. And Von Miller says he's going to get 2 QB sacks in the game - that might be an understatement. Should be interesting.

• Options

I don't think anyone thinks Baker is much inside the top 15 QB's in the NFL

nobody is in that group without players around him. the landscape is littered with QB's that everyone has opinions on as "in the Top15" who languish because of no talent.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    You may have a QB comparable to Baker BUT without starting Receivers, Lineman, and Running backs - it may get ugly. And Von Miller says he's going to get 2 QB sacks in the game - that might be an understatement. Should be interesting.

Sam Bradford. Look at their comps. Hard to tell them apart

m

• Options

@keets said:
    I don't think anyone thinks Baker is much inside the top 15 QB's in the NFL

nobody is in that group without players around him. the landscape is littered with QB's that everyone has opinions on as "in the Top15" who languish because of no talent.

Top 15 in talent Baker is on the outside

m

• Options

with a healthy Team you would have a different opinion.

• Options

@keets said:
    with a healthy Team you would have a different opinion.

Nope. I've seen most of his games. Doesn't do any one thing great. He is an excellent game manager. Again, I love the guy and his commercials

m

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

And about $50M less than Cousins.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

And about $50M less than Cousins.

That’s the rub right there

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2021 4:42AM

@Justacommeman said:

@Steven59 said:

Sam Bradford. Look at their comps. Hard to tell them apart

m

Things would have gone much differently for Bradford, in my opinion, if he had not come back after injury in his last year of college only to re-injure his throwing shoulder. Yes, the first injury might have also sealed his fate. But he came back one month later, most likely not ready to go, and had the same thing happen again.

Edited to add: Bradford played a huge role in inspiring the league to create pre-determined contract amounts for the top picks instead of letting them negotiate the price up and up. Things were going in a weird direction with the money being given to top picks.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the injuries to the Starters from Offense: WR Landry, WR OBJ, T Wills, T Conklin, RB Chubb, RB Hunt, QB Mayfield.

that is incredible. I knew it was bad, but didnt realize it was that bad. some teams are really running into bad luck right now.

I believe the Bucs have lost at least one starter in every game this season.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@keets said:

that is incredible. I knew it was bad, but didnt realize it was that bad. some teams are really running into bad luck right now.

I believe the Bucs have lost at least one starter in every game this season.

And they are still favored tonight! Not saying too much about the Broncos

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

[And they are still favored tonight! Not saying too much about the Broncos ]

But the line is down to Browns Minus 1. And just heard Landry is supposedly activated for tonight.

>

• Options

It wouldn’t surprise me a bit if Keenan balls out tonight. Leads the depleted offense to 34 points and for the next 10 days the bench Mayfield cries will be heard throughout Ohio.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The real question is, now that Baker has left the heisman house, who should he go camping with, Boomer or Aubie?

• Options

Well now what? It just keeps getting worse for the Browns even with a win tonight. Landry injured again and now this................

"Jay Glazer
    @JayGlazer
    Breaking: Baker Mayfield tells me in addition to his torn labrum he also fractured his humerus bone (shoulder) according to a scan this week. Baker said the fracture is preventing his rotator cuff from firing.
    @NFLonFOX

7:40 pm · 21 Oct 2021·Twitter for iPhone"

• Options

Denver is terrible lol.

• Options
    edited October 22, 2021 4:42AM

Week 7 of 18 and the Team is wondering what to do given that it isn't "IF" he needs surgery but "WHEN" he needs surgery. the most logical thing would be to perform the surgery sooner than later, last week would be soon enough. it's highly unlikely that Mayfield could play at any point this season post-surgery, but if they try to rest him so he can play again before off-season surgery the risk is really high of further injury.

whatever happens, Mayfield shouldn't play injured and Stefanski just needs to step up and make that hard decision.

• Options

oh man, that is tough news for the Browns. so if Baker has surgery, his season is toast?

If he waits for surgery after this season, will it impact next year?

• Options

so if Baker has surgery, his season is toast?

almost certainly, yes, and that's probably the prudent choice right now given the fracture.

typical recovery from the Lambrum repair is 3-6 months, now they've admitted he has a fracture. enough already, face the fact that he won't play this year and start to plan around that. Keenum looked as rusty last night as should have been expected, he made some terrible decisions and threw into double coverage several times. his long throws were off target. give him some time to prepare, take the reps and shake off the rust while the rest of the Team heals around him. he's been around the block a few times and everyone knows who he is and what he can do.

• Options

well, if that is the prognosis, get him scheduled for surgery tomorrow. there is no sense holding off now that there is a break. surgery now gets him all rehabbed and ready for OTA's etc.

the Sox kept holding off with sale and he ended up missing most of this season. that could have been avoided with an earlier surgery.

• Options
  • Options

This injury has indeed put the Browns in a pickle - Baker's 5th year option is around $19Million - but a new contract will pay him probably $40Million a year for 4 or 5 years. Not that he's worth it but that's just the going rate now a days. He'll be Making Dak Prescott money - YIKES :#

• Options

Well just a good thing they were playing the Broncos. To me, watching that game was bringing flashbacks of the 1987 strike season with the "replacement" players taking the field.

• Options

comparisons of Baker Mayfield with the other three QB's in the article aren't reasonable. as I posted in another thread, he had four Head Coaches, three Offensive Coordinators and three QB Coaches through his first four seasons. with all that turmoil he's lucky he knew what his name was. that doesn't take into account the changes in personnel. as a Browns fan, that's what galls me: the Team has been the poster child for "dysfunction" for quite some time and when they find stability the injuries bug hits.

stability in an organization is important and if you don't understand that you should probably try the tiddly-wink forum.

• Options

while this forum wants to focus on Baker Mayfield the talk should really be about D'Ernest Johnson and Blake Hance.

• Options
    edited October 22, 2021 12:17PM

Man what a difference good coaching can make. Couple that with poor coaching on the other side of the ball and boom, wins become losses and losses become wins. Stefanski is an excellent HC. Fangio exudes no confidence.

Man that O Line of Cleveland's is awesome. I think DImeman could have run for a hundie last night.

m

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

stability in an organization is important and if you don't understand that you should probably try the tiddly-wink forum.

Very important. This is one of the reasons that I think it is wrong to rob Belichick of any credit for the dynasty, as some do. I give Brady a lot more credit than Belichick, but Brady wouldn't have become Brady without all those years of stability.