Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Uniface trial coin

physikphysik Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited September 16, 2021 2:11PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Columbia 1897 20 cent uniface copper trial coin. The coins for circulation are silver coins. According to the details comparison, the trial coin looks better than circulation coin.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice trial! While I can't say the trial "looks better," it certainly is more interesting.

The trial was probably struck when the dies were new, hence there is no die wear yet.
    Who knows when the regular issue was struck.

Did you buy the other two?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least some of the details are significantly stronger, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were better overall given the fact that the metal flow did not have to fill elements of the design on the blank side. Very cool piece.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@pruebas said:
    Nice trial! While I can't say the trial "looks better," it certainly is more interesting.

The trial was probably struck when the dies were new, hence there is no die wear yet.
    Who knows when the regular issue was struck.

Did you buy the other two?

Yes, I agree. Some of the circulated coins are also look "better".

• Options

@TomB said:
    At least some of the details are significantly stronger, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were better overall given the fact that the metal flow did not have to fill elements of the design on the blank side. Very cool piece.

Yes, I agree.