Home Q & A Forum
Options

nothing

CallthemoutCallthemout Posts: 57
edited February 10, 2024 9:06PM in Q & A Forum

nothing

Answers

• Options

Would this be a detail from a new set of dies. Like number one or two possibly

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps YOU better post the whole coin, obverse and reverse!

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you think you see? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you talking about the fine lines around the edge of the rim? Perhaps damage of some sort. I do not know how one would be able to identify the first or second strike from a new die?

As mentioned, photos of the entire front and back side could be useful; also a description of what you are referring to.... otherwise we just have to guess and can't really help you.

----- kj
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW... welcome to the forum.

----- kj
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

After reading the title, I thought you may be talking about my neighbor, as my friend told the spouse “You need help”!!!!!!!!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

I didn’t post the entire coin cause I didn’t feel like hearing the backlash from what the coin is. That fine detail is what I was referring to as I explained in the help part it says clearly what is the fine details between the rim and the reeded edge. So guessing is well whatever and second it would make sense that it would be there if it was the first few from a new die. For coin people it’s hard to believe this detail has never shown up or nobody has ever seen it. The r in Liberty should have gave that coin away that style was only use on Kennedy’s. That is a 1964 Kennedy

• Options

But I’ll give you the pictures not that it matters

• Options

• Options

And before people comment on it do your homework and compare the polishing lines before your so quick to judge.

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 11:37AM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options

So to the original question has anyone ever seen the details as discussed. I don’t understand why people think it’s damage. It’s uniform and done on both sides of the coin

• Options

Those pictures are of a 1964 sms polishing marks on a mint strike coin that isn’t supposed to exist. Their is over 300 matching markers to the PCGS images. So yes I am very interested in finding out why this particular coin has detail between the rim and the reeded edge. I actually have all five coins that match. This set was packaged and put in a set. So I do have all five coins and the original package they came in

• Options

I had some people take better pictures of the coin I asked for help with I’ll post them

• Options

I’ve had six different dealers say for sure that they believe with out a doubt that this is definitely struck with that one and only set of dies used on 1964 sms coins. They also said that there was only 1 obverse and 1 reverse die for those coins. What opinions could I get here. Hopefully I can get this coin a pgcs holder we’re it belongs in.

• Options

My coins are beat up from clashing around. I bought it this way all five of them. It’s rare in any order but I wish they took better care of them but apparently they didn’t know what they sold or had

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

you need to post this on the us coin forum for answers
    https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum

and need a better title than "Need Help"

the dies do not have these deep marks in them. can't say what caused the damage, but it is damaged.

also, this is not an 64 sms coin

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@Callthemout said:
    I’ve had six different dealers say for sure that they believe with out a doubt that this is definitely struck with that one and only set of dies used on 1964 sms coins. They also said that there was only 1 obverse and 1 reverse die for those coins. What opinions could I get here. Hopefully I can get this coin a pgcs holder we’re it belongs in.

opinion: not a 64 sms coin and will only lose money sending it in.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

It’s interesting you have said that it isn’t a 64 sms cause 90% of the pictures I uploaded was a 1964 sms graded by pgcs

• Options

Only 3 or 4 of those pictures was my coin and they match pgcs graded coin

• Options

I see pictures of 3 1964 coins and a 1965

Which of the 3 1964 is claimed to be SMS?

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

"Hopefully I can get this coin a pgcs holder we’re it belongs in."

That is the easy part, just send it in and it will come back in a holder. ;)
    Good chance it won't say what you want it to say on the holder. :/
    I don't see a SMS based on the photos.

Your reference photo and the photos on coinfacts show this die scratch.
    Can you get a photo of your coin showing this scratch?
    I realize there may be other markers for the coin but this would be a good place to start. ;)

Your coin would also need to be a DDO and doesn't appear to be and the chip by the 4 appears to be in the wrong place.
    I am assuming this photo is the coin you are saying is a SMS.

• Options

that

• Options

I did show those marks and the I in Liberty and the 4 and the line from F in of through the A in America and all the other marks as well. I provided some pictures of my coin

• Options

• Options

• Options

The second Kennedy shows the best identification marks and that’s what we went by comparing my coin to.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2021 7:22PM

The scratch coming off the F looks like it could be a match. ;)

I still don't see any doubling on the TR of trust.
    Can you get a photo of the doubling on the TR?
    You would need to have the DDO to be the SMS.
    The reverse die could have been used for business strike coins with a different obverse.
    I understand you are seeing some other obverse markers that appear to match.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

• Options

The I doesn't look the same.

full size

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

my head hurts I should have had my morning coffee first!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

And see that’s my whole point. We’ve matched the obverse of the coin. And we’ve matched the reverse. The I in Liberty and the 4. Also if you look at the way the die was scratched both coins matched obverse and reverse those scratchings are just like finger prints there will never be two of the same you can literally lay my coins die scratching over those examples from heritage auction website and pgcs graded coin. If that coin was taken care of instead of being beaten by clashing it would have the sharp edges and no nicks. It’s a shame they didn’t know what they had. If they did it would look as sharp as those others and I would never have gotten it. It is extremely frustrating to know you have something there is only 22 of and it’s like going up a waterfall in a blow up raft. The penny also matches as well I have the whole set. I figured start with one and work from there. I don’t know. Really don’t know. All I know is this coin matches and is it worth the fight don’t know

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did you acquire the coins? Do they have any connection to Adams, mint employees that would have been involved in the project, or Lester Merkin?

If they just came from normal distribution network, they can't be SMS. However, if they are exact die matches and not part if the Adams Estate, then that could mean one of 2 things; the mint reused the dies for business strikes, or the 1964 SMS story is nothing more than a story (some numismatists have proposed that the Adams coins are nothing more than first strikes). Either way, your coin wouldn't be an SMS.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@MsMorrisine said:

?

• Options
    edited August 1, 2021 1:34PM

"We’ve matched the obverse of the coin."

The I & the 4 are not the same and you have not shown the DDO.
    Your obverse die doesn't appear to match.

• Options

Will it do any good to post any more pictures of this coin nope. People have already made their minds up about this coin. What makes people so mad over this coin. Tell me something about providing proof of ownership of a coin. PCGS has graded one that was opened up and found in change. How did they guarantee that,that coin came from Eva Adams horde of coins. How in gods name did they track down every person that touched that coin and the concluded that was her coin. I would die to see the list of names attached to that certification. It has to be well a small book. But anyway I found a picture he forgot to send it over. We try not to fondle the piece to much.

• Options

Ps there is your DDO

• Options

Please remember to come back and post your grading results. :)

• Options

Apparently people don’t really know the whole story on these coins. These coins was not special in any way. They didn’t do test strikes for 1965 coinage. They stamped 1964 coins almost to November give a month either way in late of 1965. These coins were apparently the first coins approved from jacklyn Kennedy I know it’s misspelled after they changed his hair, they also believe they had those 1964D peace dollars were supposed to be packaged in the set but at the last minute president ordered them to be melted down therefore they never got sent out except for what Denver employees had. Not like it mattered it’s still illegal to this day to own that coin so. I have a yea play one. Anyway it’s really neat why these coins cause so much drama with people. The few of us who have the coins that do match those coins or the same dies whatever people want to call it are allegedly the very first dies after accented hair Kennedy but what do I know I only read books and own dozers for a living. I’m no expert on coins. I just enjoy the hunt for odd things if it was easy everyone would do it

• Options

• Options

Those little lines/groves are supposed to be on all Kennedy half dollars. This is a coin off a fresh set of cutting dies for silver planchette. Those marks were made by the machine that cut the planchette. I found a guy who looked it over and he said that. The mint pressed out their own size planchettes. So those marks are from fresh dies or coin shears

• Options

I thought it was the engravings cause it’s on an angle so it looked like it belongs on obverse die. I have two coins with this on it.

• Options

So those sets would have looked a little bit like this hypothetically so as a fantasy set of course.

• Options

I should have used a different coin as a reference coin for the peace dollar

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS is the way, the truth and the light.

peacockcoins