Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

UPDATE: Advice to Maximize Value: Selling 1951 Topps Ringside Boxing Set

SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

There have been some strong prices in boxing and specifically this set recently. As much as I'd love to get to #2 or #1, its practically impossible considering the pop reports and who actually owns those sets. It has been a fun set to collect, but I want to shift gears and move into more sealed product and non-sports. Goldin, Heritage, Mile High, REA, PWCC?

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the approximate value of the set?

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set, I have always coveted the Brown Bomber card. I hope this one is yours!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224401198164?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5337222508&mkevt=1

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@daltex said:
    What is the approximate value of the set?

$27500-$40000. Alot depends on how the short prints and PWCC+ cards are valued at the time of sale.

@Cakes said:
    Great set, I have always coveted the Brown Bomber card. I hope this one is yours!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224401198164?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5337222508&mkevt=1

I wish, that card is a white whale that I will never have the pleasure of harpooning.

Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2021 7:40PM

Good luck with the sale. I hope you do very well and use the funds for something that means more to you than the set. Must have been a pleasure to build and to own.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Good luck with the sale. I hope you do very well an use the funds for something that means more to you than the set. Must have been a pleasure to build and to own.

Thank you. I started the set with a single Jimmy Flood card after my grandfather told me a story about the two getting into a school yard fight in New York. The set building took on a life of it's own and led me down a path of colorful history and intriguing personalities buried in the set. It will be missed.

Joe

• Options
    edited June 23, 2021 7:30AM

Hello,

I decided to list the cards on the PWCC Vault. The numbers so far are as follows:

26 out of the 96 cards have sold via buy it now. This was pretty shocking as I was frankly concerned about the interest in vintage boxing, even a set such at this with amazing pedigree, rich history and hobby recognition.

I still have the heavy hitters up for sale, such as Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson and Rocky Marciano.

Joe

• Options
    edited June 23, 2021 7:31AM

Done.

Joe

• Options
    nauvcire1nauvcire1 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

@brad31 said:
    Good luck with the sale. I hope you do very well an use the funds for something that means more to you than the set. Must have been a pleasure to build and to own.

Thank you. I started the set with a single Jimmy Flood card after my grandfather told me a story about the two getting into a school yard fight in New York. The set building took on a life of it's own and led me down a path of colorful history and intriguing personalities buried in the set. It will be missed.

I just bought the Flood. I have a 7, but I thought I could use the upgrade. I’m hoping to sell some stuff here soon so I can grab that Berlenbach from you as well

• Options

Appreciate the purchase. Let me know when you are ready to pull the trigger on the Berlenbach and I'll knock off a few bucks since you are a board member.

Joe

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always liked this set. I did a raw almost complete set 20-25 years ago. I think I still have a couple of the cards somewhere. Good luck with your sales.

• Options
    nauvcire1nauvcire1 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Appreciate the purchase. Let me know when you are ready to pull the trigger on the Berlenbach and I'll knock off a few bucks since you are a board member.

Awesome. Thank you