Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My friend pulled out a few stacks from 50’s and 60’s NEW PICS

balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Starting talking cards with a friend who is a few years my senior. He said I have somethings to show you.

We went card by card hoping for great fortune for him, but no such luck. But did find some low grade awesome cards - the gloss on some was amazing. He hasn’t touched them in 30+ years. The Unitas might be a 4 - great centering but has a wrinkle. Many of the 1960 cards are sweet.

There were a few 52’s in bad shape and some basketball and football too. Was a lot of fun.

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unitas is an awesome find! Nice collection!

• Options
    KyserKyser Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Get that man some card savers or something. That is a nice collection.

• Options
    edited April 10, 2021 4:42AM

I realize a difficult question since you can’t see the cards up close but what would you offer a friend for all of these? The Unitas has some value in a low grade. Assume the other stars pictured come back as 2-4 ranges. 80% of the total find is not worth grading. Thinking given cost of grading $500 would be a fair offer. Could offer a split of the value post grading but that may be more complicated that he cares to deal with.

What do others think?

• Options
    SmithAuctionCoSmithAuctionCo Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    I realize a difficult question since you can’t see the cards up close but what would you offer a friend for all of these? The Unitas has some value in a low grade. Assume the other stars pictured come back as 2-4 ranges. 80% of the total find is not worth grading. Thinking given cost of grading $500 would be a fair offer. Could offer a split of the value post grading but that may be more complicated that he cares to deal with.

What do others think?

Just calculating the 1956 Topps Mays and 1957 Topps Unitas in VG condition, that is $500 alone.

Given the cost of grading right now, I don't see any cards that would merit being graded. Even before the grading price hikes, there would be only a few cards worth grading in the lot if you truly believe they are in the GD to VG/Ex range.

If your friend consigned to an auction house - they would easily realize over a $1,000 after commission. Many auction houses would sell the group as is as a "Shoebox Collection" or something similar, and those lots tend to do pretty well.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:

What do others think?

Hi Balco,
    I’d give your friend $1,000 for the lot as it sits. Looks like a fun project.
    PM me if he would take that and I’ll shoot a payment over.
    John

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I recently started upgrading the HoF rookies I had from my childhood, all subsequently slabbed in low to mid grade, with higher quality examples. I thought I would sell and replace the lower grade originals but I’m not. The well-loved copies have sentimental value and I actually like them better. I hope your friend feels the same way.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:

What do others think?

@balco758 said:

What do others think?

The stars showing are around $700 - 800 and then assumedly you’ve got 800? Vg to Ex commons and semis. So $1000 seems about right.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d offer 1200

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much for the rubber bands and two cookies. B)

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cosmos beat Connecticut 3 - 1 in case anyone was wondering.

• Options
    PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    The Cosmos beat Connecticut 3 - 1 in case anyone was wondering.

I have an old signed NY Cosmos ball sitting around here...

Used to go with Dad to stadiums and he knew them and had full locker room/field access in those days! Quite a treat for a 10-12 year old. lol (sorry don't mean to interrupt this post! Those cards are sweet! Just Cosmos comment brough back memories!)

• Options

You said there is basketball. Can you expand on that?

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

The cards are back with my friend - was just there for dinner. There was 20 or so 1960s basketball. Was looking for the Wilt, Baylor, etc but mostly commons. And they were in worse shape than the baseball.

Not sure he wants to sell but will ask him.

• Options

Nice Cosmos ball.
    My brother in law had a cup of coffee with the Cosmos in early 80’s and also won national championship while playing at UConn.

• Options
    edited April 10, 2021 12:03PM

@balco758 said:
    Nice Cosmos ball.
    My brother in law had a cup of coffee with the Cosmos in early 80’s and also won national championship while playing at UConn.

Was his name Chris by chance? It's just too bad we never really kept these things "protected". :) Back in early 80's bunches of Washington Diplomats used to come hang out and party at my house with dad. Tony Crescitelli took me to my first Police concert and did a 360' in middle of an intersection on the way. lol Gordan Bradley (and Viera) were around all the time. Crazy good days of old. Just memories.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Btw - can I just say thanks for actually substantiating your post with photos. It’s refreshing really.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was a lot of fun

I'm fer sure it was Steve.

Now.

How about one of those chippers.

Mike
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2021 2:16PM

PastaBoy - not Chris. His name is Carlos.

Nathanial - if your post was for me, sure and thanks. Never sure why anyone posts saying they found something and doesn’t show the pics. For me half the fun was showing the board the small find.

• Options

That is so cool. Regardless of value that must have been so cool going through an old find like that. Finding the old shoeboxes is every collector's dream.

• Options
    edited April 10, 2021 5:57PM

I have a strato-matic team been running since 1990 (league started in 1985) and we still play -- mixed between "immortals" and actives, so I'd just love to get an Banks card like that!

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

The way vintage stars are selling these days, $500 seems insulting. That Unitas RC looks pretty good, but hard top tell. Then again, this is a site dedicated to those who generally like to have cards graded. From what i have seen, it tends to make people look down their noses at ungraded or lower graded stuff more often.

That image summarizes my kind of collection. The majority of my cards are raw and only have graded cards because I bought them that way and because the grading was irrelevant to the purchase. If I dusted everything off and did a photo shoot, I can only imagine the grading comments i would see. Not that everything is pristine or pack fresh, but I did prefer cleaner, crease free cards for the most part. And after getting past my school age where i did some damage to some cards, most everything was kept in the condition i bought it in.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@mrmopar said:
    The way vintage stars are selling these days, $500 seems insulting. That Unitas RC looks pretty good, but hard top tell. Then again, this is a site dedicated to those who generally like to have cards graded. From what i have seen, it tends to make people look down their noses at ungraded or lower graded stuff more often.

That image summarizes my kind of collection. The majority of my cards are raw and only have graded cards because I bought them that way and because the grading was irrelevant to the purchase. If I dusted everything off and did a photo shoot, I can only imagine the grading comments i would see. Not that everything is pristine or pack fresh, but I did prefer cleaner, crease free cards for the most part. And after getting past my school age where i did some damage to some cards, most everything was kept in the condition i bought it in.

amen! offering 500 seems like looking for a sucker . the unitas and yaz rookies are easily worth 500 these days. based on the stacks , there has to be 1000 plus cards. looks like a full stack of 56's , 55's .

about 12 years ago or so I was meeting a guy ever month or so . he would bring some cards and I would make him an offer. usually he was shocked on the positive side and I was super happy because there were always a few cards that if they graded right I would do well, if not I had a nice group of quality cards for a fair price.

sometimes he was expecting more, however he sold them to me every time saying I think they are worth more but you have been fair and I would rather sell them to you than that jerk over at .......... he had originally sold some to a dealer who totally screwed him and he never forgot

• Options

I would never rip anyone off.

My original thought of $500 was because candidly 95% of the cards in the stacks are not even close to grading worthy. I am not a big 50’s and 60’s collector but can’t see how it’s worth to get back a PSA 2 of a 1956 common. Also, the picture of the Unitas is really deceiving. The wrinkle / crease is hardly visible in the picture. The Yaz can’t be better than a 5.

Anyway, I am seeing him Wednesday and will offer him $1,000 should he want to sell with more of the grades come back better than expected.

I don’t think he wants to sell though.

• Options
    winterwinter Posts: 73 ✭✭

Rubber bands on old cards, is like to add coke to Magellan 25 years old

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I have always used a quick, simple method for determining a nice price when it came to groups of cards. I'd get a rough or exact count for the lot and then determine which of the cards I really wanted. Now to clarify, I collect to accumulate. I don't generally sell or trade things off, so my method is purely for the fun of collecting. Any group of cards I would buy would be to grow my collection.

Once I determined what I was essentially "buying" from the lot, I divided the asking price by the number of cards I was getting, meaning counting the keepers only. This gave me a basic average, knowing that the rest of the cards were "free". If I was happy with the average price for the key cards, then it was a go. If I didn't like the price per keeper, then I negotiated or passed.

Example: 100 card lot and the seller wants $200. I can make it purely about averages and call it $2/card or I dig through and find 40 cards I really like and call it $5/card. If that is fair, I just got 60 free cards as a toss in!

The same could be done with offers, although it is always easier to decide when a seller has an asking price.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

That is incredibly nice of him. I am still waiting on having a friend that has a Wilt, Bill Russell, and Jim Brown rookie and wants to give it to me.

• Options

Honestly he probably enjoyed giving them to you and is looking forward to your updates more than dealing with them himself. That will definitely be a fun project for sure.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2021 2:48PM

@balco758 said:
    So get this. On my way out of town, my friend gives me the entire box of cards and will not take my money. He is an older gent and said I had way more enthusiasm for them. I will make it up to him.

Will have time later this weekend to do a full review and will post scans.

Outstanding! Some friend! With all the negativity projected in today's media, it's heartening to read about acts of kindness and generosity.

The question is balco758, what are your thoughts on how to reciprocate?

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

53BKid,

I will be taking Jim and his wife to Broadway show of his choice as soon as feasible.

It’s too bad the time and cost of grading has made submitting tons of these cards so impractical.

• Options

Getting the cards organized. Put them in piles by year. Largest is approx 400 from 1960. Pic may be deceiving- most would grade 1-3’s.

• Options

Pics of the 52-54 some Topps some Bowman. Again, great to see but dont see these worth grading.

• Options

Some cool football. Again, condition issues.

• Options

Here are the handful of basketball. No Wilt.

• Options

The best 6 I’ve found with a few close ups of the Unitas. Love to hear guesses on the grade for Johnny U. Centering isn’t too bad but it’s pretty rough. Maybe a 3?

• Options

Finally, close ups of the Hank and the Willie.

Mays looks like a 1. Hank maybe 2.5 out of kindness for centering.

All in all a nice lot of cards. Thanks for letting me share the fun!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless of condition still cool looking through the older cards. Good group. Enjoyed the tour.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Unitas looks like a solid 3 and should be graded.