Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

193.6 Canadian Penny only 4 out there, 99 percent sure I have the 5th one🤞👈

SonnyCherSonnyCher Posts: 189 ✭✭
edited October 21, 2020 1:29PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Here is a Monday morning treat for all of you great great people out there, first time revealing it on this platform, & more beautiful ones to follow✌️👈🇨🇦

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a VERY faint dot, if it is there.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

No do> @SonnyCher said:

Here is a Monday morning treat for all of you great great people out there, first time revealing it on this platform, & more beautiful ones to follow✌️👈🇨🇦

That's not a dot, that's a pixel.

Search Heritage for "1936 dot cent" and you'll see what it looks like. Also, you may have more luck with collectors of Canadian coinage on the World Coins forum.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep on hoping...we all are!
    your dot is imaginary and is not a dot.
    all your work for nothing.
    the real dot is easy to see... and you are looking at the wrong spot for the dot.
    although... there are some that came from the PRoC.
    check images at HA.com and charlton as indicated above.
    incidentally, there is another collector who also suggested he has a dot cent... just the last few days at the Canadian forum CCF,
    sorry, but no cigar.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

since this is a US coin forum it follows that many/most of us aren't familiar with Canadian coinage, let alone obscure or extremely rare varieties. add to that the non-existent explanation of what is posted and jumbled up, layered pictures and you will tend to get little or no replies.

maybe do an edit, tell us what we are supposed to be looking at and please add some explanation to each image so we might have a clue.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

99 percent sure I have the 5th one

No, you don't.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ndCharter said:

No, you don't.

+1

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:

@2ndCharter said:

No, you don't.

+1

+2

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

:o

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

@johnny9434 said:

@2ndCharter said:

No, you don't.

+1

+2

+3

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Yes, it is a fact it is Monday morning. Normally, we don't see greyside coins (Canadian) here very much but they do pop up from time to time.

I presume that the subject is whether the OP's 1936 cent is the dot variety. I used to collect Canadian PL cameo pieces when I lived in Michigan and had easier access to nice pieces. So I have a Charleton Catalogue which is the standard reference. Please see the photo below of a genuine 1936 dot cent from Charleton. Sorry to say, the photo suggests that the piece above is not the same.

This is what your looking for. Happy hunting 🙂

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

@Jimnight said:

:o

:|

Ken
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

1936 no dot, VF details, environmental damage.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2020 8:34AM

when i get it grade, & PCGS verifies It’s attributes

since you are confident that it is the Variety and you are submitting it for verification/encapsulation, what do you think you'll insure it for through the mail?? in other words, what do you "value" the coin for??

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2020 5:11PM

@SonnyCher said:
    Thank you 🙏 all for your valuable time; and encouraging comments, I would be able to answer all with positive news when i get it grade, & PCGS verifies It’s attributes 🤞✌️👈🤷
    God bless...

We're just trying to help and possibly save you money and disappointment.
    But in the end, it's your money to spend as you see fit, but from the images it should be obvious that the "dot" on your coin is not in the correct spot.
    I know you want it to be.....but it just isn't.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    when i get it grade, & PCGS verifies It’s attributes

since you are confident that it is the Variety and you are submitting it for verification/encapsulation, what do you think you'll insure it for through the mail?? in other words, what do you "value" the coin for??

Had to chuckle Al. Perfect question. Assuming the OP submits the coin as shown, and insures it for the value (s)he thinks it is worth, the insurance alone will be several thousand dollars.

My bet is that this one fades to oblivion.

Makes you wonder what rarity is next................................

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

$100,000 insurance and shipping shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred dollars.

However, this isn't a 1936 cent with dot, as many others have already correctly observed. Faced with the facts, being stubborn won't make you right. Save the shipping and grading fees. Take it to a coin show and see if anyone is willing to buy it.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2020 6:16AM

When these types of posts occur, and the poster does not want to accept the multiple agreeing opinions....

Then I say the poster should send in the coin to be authenticated and graded. One of two things will happen: 1. the poster's dream comes true, in which case he hits the jackpot and he can then do a triumphant 'I told you so' victory posting on the forum... or 2. He ends up spending money on a worthless coin and gets a lesson in numismatics and humility, and we never hear about the result on the forum.

Go for it! Send it in! I know what outcome I would bet on....

----- kj
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s also the 3. Poster is having fun with the forum seeing who takes it too seriously

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait to see it

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see something in this pic, but do not understand what are all the other semicircle pics?

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    There’s also the 3. Poster is having fun with the forum seeing who takes it too seriously

Yep... there certainly is that possibility.

----- kj
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

MUST HOLD IN SNARKY RESPONSE

Best of luck to you! Please be sure to let us know when PCGS or NGC makes the press release about it once they receive it. Always enjoy reading about new discoveries.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2020 2:41PM

I only belong to the Canadian coin sites and we see 5-6 of these "I found the 5th one" posts every year. There have been die chips shown by folks all over the coin, claiming that they were now rich. Your "dot" is either a die chip or an "applied" dot. These coins have been faked for 50-60 years and people still bite. You have a nice example of "close, but no cigar" and you got to use your microscope a little to show grossly magnified images that have nothing to do with the 36 dot.