Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Pre 1998 auto's

I know is cost a little bit more to get them graded, but auto cards pre 1997 barely sale. 1995 Garnett /260 sales for $100, huh? This might be the lowest numbered auto he has. The current rookie crop, all of them, sale for more than that. I maybe, just maybe one of them may be that good, but it's a long shot. I'm just picking this one, but you can look at Nash, Allen, Bettis, Faulk, etc. I'm really confused on this one. Is it just the cost of getting them graded?

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• olb31olb31 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like everyone is as stumped as I am.

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

1996 Leaf Signature sells very well with the dual grading. Jeter leads the way, but there are many other stars in the set that makes it worthwhile.

@maddux69 said:
    1996 Leaf Signature sells very well with the dual grading. Jeter leads the way, but there are many other stars in the set that makes it worthwhile.

Yes that set does do well. BUt others, not so much. I think 1991 was the first year, auto cards can be found in packs. THese will include the following, Favre, Shaq, Bettis, Webber, Kidd, Faulk, Garnett, G. Hill, Guerrero, Jeter, AROD, Etc. And of course others who didn't have rookie cards during the 1991-1997 span.

If Favre and Shaq were rookies in 1998, those auto cards would be selling for a fortune. While they do "ok", it's not the same as it could be.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1991 Upper Deck Killebrew autographed card sells for as little as $29.00.

3,000 produced.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:
    The 1991 Upper Deck Killebrew autographed card sells for as little as $29.00.

3,000 produced.

Incredible. Joe what's going on?

That card used to command a nice premium, but not any more.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

You have pointed out on several occasions how certain cards are "undervalued" when scarcity is factored in, and I agree with you in most cases. I don't think a lot of buyers bother to research their purchases, they buy what's popular or what they like.

I picked up a Larry Walker rookie a few months ago. I was only going to buy one, so I wanted the "best" one. I ended up with the Bowman Tiffany that was much cheaper than the Topps Tiffany and as far as I can tell, much more limited. Not exactly sure on the numbers, but Bowman Tiffany 3,000 sets, Topps 10,000? 15,000?

I actually liked the look of the Topps a little better, but not enough to spend more on it with it also being less "rare".