Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1961 Topps baseball blank back question

judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a collection with five 1961 Topps blank back cards. All appeared to have been cut from a panel. Are these what they call "salesman sample" cards? Do they have much value? All are cut irregularly, and the only HOFer is Robin Roberts.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judgebuck said:
    I recently bought a collection with five 1961 Topps blank back cards. All appeared to have been cut from a panel. Are these what they call "salesman sample" cards? Do they have much value? All are cut irregularly, and the only HOFer is Robin Roberts.

Post scans.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I don't think they are just blank back cards because the Roberts, even though cut, is bigger than a normal 1961 Topps card. Just wondering if they have any value. Thanks for your reply, Joe. David

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options

Very interesting! Thanks for posting the scans.

The Roberts card has a bigger border on the left, but several of the other cards have little border on the right. I wouldn't say the card was bigger though.

The first thing I would do is see if you can piece the cards together like a puzzle and try to determine if they were all part of a "panel".

Hard to tell on value. The Roberts is the closest thing to a regular card and I don't know how you could tell if they were a salesman's sample or just something that a Topps employee brought home.

I am sure someone collects blank backed cards!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

@pomobileclk said:
    Salesman Samples usually had advertising on the back

So using this 1961 Salesman sample that you posted .............would Psa grade this panel and if so .........would
    Psa allow .........for example the Roger Maris ........ to be added to a Roger Maris Master Players Set ?????

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

Good questions! I would think PSA would certainly grade the full panel. If it's the only one graded they might not allow it in the mater sets of any of the three players, but they might and should.

Maris card looks like it is printed so the back would be a mis cut, but the question is would they call it a "sheet cut"? I would say no, as it is a card only issued in sheet form as it is different than his standard card, but you could make an argument either way. I doubt that anyone would cut it up anyway. I sure hope not.

• Options

I originally asked if these could be salesman samples. I guess not since salesman samples apparently have ads on the back. Perhaps, these cards were cut from an uncut sheet? Thanks for your opinion, Joe. Any other opinions appreciated.

• Options

All cards come from uncut sheets.