Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

SOLD

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

SOLD

Quoting the source from whom I purchased it:

Gold token based on a Mexican peso design used during the reign of Maximilian I (1832-1867). The token is dated "1865", but was actually struck a hundred years later. Neil Utberg describes these fantasy pieces in The Coins of the Republic of Mexico 1823-1905. "With a magnifier you will note a small initial 'B' on the medal. This is the initial of Sr. Baron who had the medal struck and is still having them struck." This was in the 1960’s. Baron’s fantasy pieces handsomely imitated the Mexican designs and were struck on honest 24K gold planchets. They were used mostly as gifts and wedding tokens. Here’s a nice, clean example with no damage. It weighs 0.5 g.

(Craptastic cellphone photo to show the flip)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options

I would like to buy it. Please let me know if it is still available. Thank you

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan those are indeed wedding arras from the 1960s, but they are not being struck today. Sr. Baron is long gone as is his business. All his medal dies ended up in the street after a big earthquake in Mexico City (maybe the big one in 1985?) and were stolen.

And it’s highly unlikely that they are 24K. Probably more like 10K. Even the color is wrong for 24K.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2020 11:20AM

@pruebas said:
    @lordmarcovan those are indeed wedding arras from the 1960s, but they are not being struck today. Sr. Baron is long gone as is his business. All his medal dies ended up in the street after a big earthquake in Mexico City (maybe the big one in 1985?) and were stolen.

And it’s highly unlikely that they are 24K. Probably more like 10K. Even the color is wrong for 24K.

Thanks for the info.

@NikkiWill said:
    I would like to buy it. Please let me know if it is still available. Thank you

I sold this piece, not long ago. (Well, actually gave it away on one of my CoinTalk giveaways.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.