Home Q & A Forum

I’m not sure what these two coins are made of. 🤔

Comments

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tin zinc and a coating of nickel/copper.

• TimbobbTimbobb Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

Is that right. Thought it was supposed to be 99.2% Zinc and .8% copper plated???

That’s why I come here. Thank you for your honesty. I went to a coin shop and they were sugar coating some words.

Is this an error.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbobb said:
    Is this an error.

No. The nicks/scratches are PMD.

Copper Plated Zinc
    2.5% Cu
    Balance Zn

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbobb said:
    Is that right. Thought it was supposed to be 99.2% Zinc and .8% copper plated???

Oh, so you already knew before asking the question.

I knew that from 1982 that when they changed the materials of the penny. After that yes zinc and copper plated. Yes I knew that. But these two penny’s look different that the other penny’s with same date.

edited December 19, 2018 9:53AM

The more wear/exposure the cent receives the darker (brown) it will turn, i.e., tarnish. Some examples from Coin Facts.

Red

Red/Brown

Brown

• DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

I see now what you guys mean by people posting really stupid questions. This guy is obviously from another forum or just has too much time on their hands and wants screw with guys on this forum. Should have some way to block guys like this. Very obvious.

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

Give me a break. I’m trying to not be difficult. Yes I have had alittle bit of time on my hands til I get back to work. Only been looking at coins for two months now. I’m sorry if I don’t comprehend quickly of learning the differences of tones, wear and color of what to look for.

I just wanna makes sure I’m looking at these right. Never had some one teach me these things about coins. Sometimes it looks like it was made out of a different planket. But I have a lot to learn.

• DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, seemed like basic questions and I even knew those being the newbie that I am.
    Thanks
    DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

All is good. This is a great place to learn.

Always remember to have fun and enjoy the hobby.