Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

all gone...bye bye

Some 90% silver and a beautiful .999 round. Paypal gift or payment owed is preferred, will accept Postal money orders also. Please PM me with your offer and thanks for looking.
A total of $120.50 FV in 90% non-cull U.S. coins. Realizing some of you might not want the whole Lot of $120.50, I will break this Lot up and sell the $84.50 in Halves for $1735 delivered and the $36.00 in Quarters & Dimes for $735 delivered. Paypal gift/payment owed is preferred.

This 10.0 ty. oz. round has an incredible Eagle design on it. Comes as is with no original packaging. $317 delivered.

SOLD, Thank you! These five 1919 Walkers. Top 2 are P, middle is D. A solid VG bordering on F, bottom 2 are S. All are uncleaned. $85 delivered OBO...the D alone is a $50 coin. Sold!

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Some excellent fact based info. that was forwarded to me to help you to see why the odd weight rounds of 14.56 troy oz's are that weight.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 troy pound = 12 troy ounces = 373 grams
    1 avoirdupois pound = 453 grams = 14.566 troy ounces

Avoirdupois weights
    Here in the USA we often use the avoirdupois ounce for everyday weighing. Every time you step on the scale at home, or weight food found in the grocery, you use the avoirdupois ounce weight system. There are 16 avoirdupois ounces in a pound.
    1 avoirdupois ounce = 437.5 grains, or 28.35 grams. 1 avoirdupois pound contains 16 (avoirdupois) ounces. This makes an Avoirdupois pound equal to about 453.6 grams, or the equivalent of 14.583 "troy ounces".
    So what do you get when you buy an ounce ?
    The troy ounce is heavier than the typical grocery store (avoirdupois) ounce used in the USA. When you purchase a 1 ounce silver or gold coin, you are receiving a "troy" ounce. If you put that same 1 troy oz. coin on a grocery store scale you will find that it weighs about 10% more than the food (avoirdupois) ounce you are familiar with. It will weigh about 1.1 avoirdupois ounces. A troy ounce is equivalent to about 31.1 grams.
    Separately, the troy weight system has it's own definition of a "troy" pound. A "troy pound" contains 12 troy ounces or 373.24 grams (which is over 13 avoirdupois ounces).

Troy weights
    One troy ounce = 480 grains, or 31.10 grams.
    There are also 20 pennyweights to a troy ounce.
    A troy pound contains 12 troy ounces (over 13 avoirdupois ounces) and is equivalent to 373.24 grams. 32.15 troy ounces = 1 kilogram.
    Consequently, a grocery store pound which weighs 16 avoirdupois ounces (or 453.59 grams) will contain about 14.58 troy ounces.
    Perhaps an easy way to compare Troy ounces versus avoirdupois ounces is to look at how they weigh using the metric system

• Options
    I was wondering the same thing.

But I crunched a few numbers and found:

1 troy pound = 12 troy ounces = 373 grams
    1 avoirdupois pound = 453 grams = 14.566 troy ounces

Hope that helps.

Ben
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    The 10 oz'er is still available. Same price even after an .80 rise in Ag.
  • Options
    imageimage

someone got a pretty good buy on those walkers. If I come across a deal and it's not really somethg I want to put back, I pass the deal along.

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    someone got a pretty good buy on those walkers. image
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    everything is all gone from this thread. I hope someone learned something from it with regards to the reason why some metals may weigh what seem like "odd weights" as I did.
    Will be posting more stuff next week. Time to go watch the Steelers kick some blackbird butt!