Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

"HERITAGE 2 for 1 SALE" WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

As most of you know by now I consigned my collection to Heritage to auction in Sept. L.B. Sale. I thought all lots would be advertised and displayed clearly but look at what happened to my Gem Walkers.

Walking Liberty Half Dollars
1941 50C MS66 PCGS, well struck, nearly brilliant, and ... Link

Would you: (1) Worry about the "Hidden" 1942D and put a reserve on this lot.
(2) Ask for an adjustment if lot sells to low?
(3) Just hold your breath & hope for the best?

Please give me your thoughts. Regards, Frustrated Mapmaker.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should redo it so it's clear in the title which two coins are being sold...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    1. I think you might get less if both coins are sold together than if they were sold seperate.

If I wanted one of the coins but didn't really want the other I would either not bid at all or just bid what I would pay for the one coin or only a little more.
  • Options
    Airplanenut
    Re: They should redo it so it's clear in the title which two coins are being sold...

The Catalog is already printed and in the mail!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then I think the "..." in the title means it will have both in the title... eventually...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    You could always ask to pull the lot. If they won't do that, set a reserve.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold your breast,and hope for the best.Al
  • Options
    airplanenut
    Re: Then I think the "..." in the title means it will have both in the title... eventually...

Do you mean you think the actual paperback catalog will be different than the on line "catalog?
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    When I searched for it in the on-line catalog, the visible title ends with "(2 coins)". I used to get some good deals this way, until they added the X coins.

I did notice the auction does not come up in a search for 1942.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1. I think you might get less if both coins are sold together than if they were sold seperate.

If I wanted one of the coins but didn't really want the other I would either not bid at all or just bid what I would pay for the one coin or only a little more. >>

This kind of thing is common with the auction houses. What you are selling here is two coins that you always thought were nice. The auction house, however, doesn't think they are worth enough to merit two lots. They probably won't do well.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    if those were my coins i would ask them to pull the lot
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    PUT A RESERVE ON IT!!! PERIOD...

They will NOT give you an adjustment.

Hold your breath. NO WAY!!! Don't take the chance of getting ripped.

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    Try calling them ,the 42 dont look that hot,but the 41 looks superb,you may sell both together for more,than seperate?.Al
  • Options
    They should have done something about that. I wouldn't be cool with that if those were my coins.
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    It typical for them to put group lots together if a coins value is $500.00 or less, in a Signature Sale. $500.00 seems to be the minimum value they like to have per lot.

They would sell them individually in a Bullet Sale.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    I had a similar bad experience with Heritage where they pursued me to consign coins to an auction, then dumped them in an Internet sale where they sold for less than a dealer would have paid over the counter. I would suggest you tell them to either change the listing or you'll pull all your coins, then do it if they refuse.
  • Options

<< <i>I had a similar bad experience with Heritage where they pursued me to consign coins to an auction, then dumped them in an Internet sale where they sold for less than a dealer would have paid over the counter. I would suggest you tell them to either change the listing or you'll pull all your coins, then do it if they refuse. >>

The agreement does not allow me to "pull" the coins.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The agreement does not allow me to "pull" the coins. >>

That's too bad, but as I recall you're probably right. It sounds like you're best bet is to see if they'll let you set a reserve. image
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    ttt
  • Options
    Dear MapMaker,

Please email me directly and tomorrow morning I will look into the matter. We appreciate your business and we want you to be satisfied.

Sincerely,

Gregory J. Rohan
    President
    Heritage Capital Corporation

Heritage Rare Coin Galleries
    Heritage Numismatic Auctions, Inc.
    Heritage World Coin Auctions
    Currency Auctions of America
    Heritage Comics & Movie Poster Auctions

100 Highland Park Village
    Heritage Plaza, 2nd floor
    Dallas, Texas 75205
    214-528-3500
    1-800-872-6467
    Private Fax: 214-528-2596
    Email: Rohan@HeritageCoin.com
    Assistant: Vandy Little, extension 218
    Email: Vandy@HeritageCoin.com
    ===
    World's Largest Collectibles Dealer and Auctioneer
    ===
    Are you missing the best coin, currency & comic deals?
    Join http://www.HeritageCoin.com today!
    Over 90,000 members and growing fast.

Text
    Greg Rohan
    President
    HERITAGE AUCTIONS
    3500 Maple Avenue
    Dallas, Texas 75219-3941
    Phone: 214-528-3500 / Private fax: 214-409-1596
    Email to: Greg@HA.com
  • Options
    Mr.Rohan,
    Thank you for responding and I will be sure to let the forum members know you are trying to help. I will also let them know how this gets resolved.
    Sincerely, MapMaker.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!

Now, THAT, to me, is impressive that someone from the auction house would actually be scanning to boards and then make that post (yes, I "know" that they *should* be scanning them, but that doesn't mean people always do what they should). Also impressive is who it is.
    Very cool, and good luck getting things resolved (to both sides)

Ron

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Double Ditto.Al
  • Options
    I replied to Mr Rohan (Heritage Pres.) this morning and they are seriously working on my problems. I think Mr Rohan is a real class act and I am very happy I chose "Heritage" to Auction my collection. I will let you know how this comes out after L.B. Signature Auction ends this week.
    Thanks again Mr.Rohan & Mr. Marino to you both for outstanding ability to listen to your customer!
    Regards, MapMaker.
  • Options

MapMaker,

How did things end up working out?

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • Options
    sometimes i buy gsa's 3 at a time for what one should bring, i should'nt tell this but oh wellimage
    Michael
  • Options

<< <i>MapMaker,

How did things end up working out?

Larry
    Dabigkahuna >>

Larry & All forum members,
    Heritage did the right thing and allowed me to put in a reserve bid to protect the W.L. Half's mentioned. They did not sell during the regular auction but they did sell in the post auction for the minimum amount I had wanted for them. All in all I have been very happy with the way Heritage has handled my consignment. I will let all of you know how it all came out after I receive my settlement check next week.
    Regards, MapMaker.
  • Options
    well there you go!!

again the real bussiness with the best customer service will win every time.

I bet more people than me saw this post. good job Mr.Rohan,

may the force be with you.

rob.