Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Franklin Mint Continuing Revenge Today!

Wow, a seller on eBay had a number of mint sets from the Franklin Mint halcyon days -

Highlight was the 1983 Trinidad and Tobago set at 481USD.

A Franklin Mint 1983 Costa Rica 250 Colones silver proof went for about 1100 USD!!!

I did not win any as I was not willing to go as high, but there were quite a few of the mint sets going in excess of 300 USD.
Not long ago there was another bloodbath by another seller with it being proof sets of FM on offer. I should add that there were
numerous bidders involved in these sales that were fiercely contested.

Message: Franklin Mint is kicking booty on the aftermarket if you have the scarcer bits.
Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Trinidad set likely has a mintage somewhere between perhaps 300-400- then figure how many survived. Over time it seems possible that it won't take an army of new collectors to move these sets higher. Looks to be happening as we write...

Thanks for the update

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    They just seem to keep moving up don't they.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say "I told you so", but…

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An interesting note: D. Everhart, designer of the eagle side of the 2015 HR $100 gold coin was one of the engravers at FM.

I find it quite amazing that their quality of 30-40 years ago compare quite favorably to what we get now, and even better in many cases.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been a big fan of those sets since I was a kid. Nice designs and workmanship.