Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Back to the darkside . . . something random, appealing, and cheap

I remember, as a young kid, my Dad bringing me coins back from his travels and eventually I had a few baggies full. One summer I went to stay at my Grandfather's and he took me to a small coin shop and helped me get some 2x2's and other items that might help in organizing all my loose change. About 4 years ago I found my old box of coins at my mom's house.

Finding that box after 30 years was amazing to me and spurred again an interest in coins. I started back in by building my US birth year set as well as that of my wife and kid. For the last couple years I've been mostly focused on US type coins and as the coins I've been buying are (to me) somewhat expensive I've not been buying as much or as often as I'd like image

Thus, here I am . . . looking to get my coin fix in between my US type purchases.

I've turned back to the darkside and am sometimes (but not often) buying something random, appealing, and cheap.

First below is the PCGS Secure image of my latest itch relieved, but scroll down just a bit and you'll find the image that closed this twenty dollar deal:

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, nothing wrong with random, appealing and cheap at all.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Dadams! I collect Farthings amongst other things and even my future wife likes them. She calls them "BabyWrens" (one word). I also go back further in time too and they are also still very affordable until you start hitting earlier Victorian years or before.

One of the things about collecting ancient and world coins now for me is the sense of pure adventure that I feel when I am out looking in a shop buying from friendly dealers on eBay or reading stuff here. From my beginnings in US, things got very expensive very quickly and it took a lot of the fun out of it.

If this is making you happy and not breaking the bank, so much the better.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting variety.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, as that is IMO a very beautiful coin rendition of the design. See the Norweb specimen of the silver obverse trial of 1937, evidently struck off for QE II as a child, or perhaps Margaret.....Not cheap at this stage I would imagine though!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a lovely design and for what you gave for it I would agree it's certainly a 'cheap thrill'
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great design, and I have one of these little coins in my collection also (though mine is E2).

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for all the kind comments. I really do like world coins as there is such a vast assortment of material I am attracted to and certainly a world coin every now and then couldn't hurt.

My main problem is that many of you guys have spoiled me with such fabulous eye candy and historically important coins that I worry I may easily slip this way full time.

It must have been a year ago or longer I read a post by Zohar and just about fell in love with the hideous Leopold I "hogmouth" Talers he displayed. Someone also once posted one of the Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel "Wildman" coins, which I took a liking to, and then somewhat recently, due to a post here, I started reading about coinage with St. George the dragonslayer.

--

JCM-Houston -- if you are in Houston, TX it was Royal Coins that my Grandfather took me to - so long ago and it has not changed a bit.
  • Options
    zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Wonderfull pieces !!!!Nice conditions , full lustrous .
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always liked that design! image

Your old box seems to contain some Mexico - want to share those? image
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your old box seems to contain some Mexico - want to share those? image >>

TwoKopeiki, Sorry it took so long, but here is the MX in my old box. Obviously, not much to show, but then again monetary value had nothing at all to do with this collection image

In parting I'll leave you with this I picked up near spot about a year ago and which may be more pleasing to the eye: