Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is it a steal or a skunk?

This is the much scarcer inverted MF variety. Cleaned? Sure... But enough to get it bodybagged after a year in a napkin? We'll see image

None certified at PCGS and only a handful at NGC.

Thoughts?

Clicky

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your engagement Roman.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats on your engagement Roman. >>

Thanks, Don! I'm still shocked she said "yes" image
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that's big ! No wonder you have been MIA. Congrats!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sharp looking.

Good luck on getting a straight grade. I don't know what the chances are, since it was obviously dipped, at the very least. But like you say, after a year in a napkin... who knows?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice snag!

I have trouble understanding if this issue is rare or not. There are basically zero nice examples, but I see enough impaired ones that I have to think nicer ones are out there.

Another observation, the strike detail and letter/numeral shape on the 1772/1773 Mo portraits have a different look than later years, besides the inverted MM/Assayer.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I say fair price. Scarce variety in a decent grade with some minor impairment (which is typical for this variety). Recent sales of similar grade examples sold in the $400-$800 range depending on how severe the impairments.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with Dan. These have always looked weird to me too. I'd swear they were Bolivian if they didn't say "Mo" on the back.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    I agree on the design being off. Almost like the bust being smaller, or the planchet larger by a very small amount.
  • Options
    Back to Spain it goes. Excessive hairlines with one very pronounced wipe mark across the field and bust. Oh, well - back to the hunt.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    That's a shame. Its always hard to tell what the surfaces are like with those direct lighting pictures.

Congrats with your engagement!
  • Options

<< <i>That's a shame. Its always hard to tell what the surfaces are like with those direct lighting pictures.

Congrats with your engagement! >>

Thanks, Hus!

The seller sent me a note after I notified him that I will be returning the coin and offered to refund my shipping cost and gave me a 10% off the next purchase, so I'm pretty happy with the transaction overall.

The hunt continues! image