Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1797 British 2 pence

Does anyone here know if PCGS slabs the huge old British 2 pence coin? I just bought a nice one and I'd like it in a slab.

Comments

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Yes I have one in AU55 slabbed recently ill post you a picture.

Chris
    imageimage
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Chris. Does it take some kind of special slab?
  • Options
    I sent it in with 14 others economy I dont believe I paid extra

Chris
  • Options
    That's a nice specimen you have there. I had to look through more than 100 to find one without edge bumps. Mine probably grades VF-XF.
  • Options
    Yea I got lucky got it for 295$USD shipped (raw) I'm betting dealer wasn't familiar that rim dents n dings don't keep these from grading.

I just got another I posted not far below this one. Looks like it will grade AU as well didn't pay as much for that one. If your patient and do alot of searching they come time to time. I collect these gothic florins and Vicky 1 & 1/2 d pennies I've been very lucky to get very good deals with Patience. If you need any help feel free to PM me ill do what I can.
  • Options
    Thanks, Chris-I'll keep that in mind. I have another very similar 2P around here that I've had for years but can't locate. Do you know of a reliable pricing guide for these or any reference on how to grade them?
    Sounds like you got a super deal on the one you show here.
  • Options
    My only experience has been what I've learned from trial n error with Brit coins in the last 6 months and help from here and comparison with graded samples
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Very nice example Chris. These do tend to come with rim dents and bumps quite often as they are such a heavy coin they were dropped a lot. They weren't that popular with the public at the time as carrying a few around on you tended to wear a hole in your pockets quite quickly.