Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German States NEWPS

I picked up a couple of more to go with my German States collection in todays Heritage sale. I know they are just minor coins ,but what I love about them is it's one of the last places almost everyone can collect really low mintage classics. Mintages were not kept on these but the consensus seems to be that the really popular countries, like Prussia, might have mintages in the rage of 50-100 for the most common proofs. While places like Saxe Coburg Gotha might be in the range of 15-25. And while the prices have been rising over the 10 years I have been collecting them they are still affordable for most people. They used to be $50-100 each, those days are long gone, but they still aren't really expensive yet.

1856 Prussia Pfenning in NGC PF66 BN, the 1850's are very tough dates for proofs.

1868 Saxe Coburg Gotha Pfennig in NGC PR65 RB, all of the Saxe-whatever proofs are tough.

1871 Prussia 1 Silber Groschen in PCGS PF65 Cam

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. I love 19th century proofs. Sometimes I like sleepers, too. Like you said, these German States minor proofs are appealing because they still obtainable. If demand were to ever increase, that tiny supply would get snapped up really fast.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool stuff.

One thing has occurred to me... When I post a coin that I just acquired, I wonder if that will spark an interest in someone else who will then collect the same and thus become my competitor? I muse this not because I want to make difficult for any of the good folk around here, but I've seen a lot of good stuff being posted and many of them are rare, nice and relatively inexpensive.

Money not growing on trees for me, and my core Anglo-Saxon penny set is getting to the point where nearly every remaining piece is expensive (at least relative to my budget!), I can resist the temptation posed by the many eye candy shown in this forum. But, I wonder who has jumped into a series because of a NEWP posting here?

BTW, I think I got into Anglo-Saxon pennies because of a post here...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Nice ones, Jeff! I like the eagle and shield with the even brown color on that 1856.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I think it certainly can have an effect seeing posts here, it's really what caused me to start with a few ancients.
  • Options
    zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Great Proofs ......keep going !!!
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Ha, EVP, my thoughts exactly. See new thread, stolen/started because of you.

JCM, lovely coins. Hard to not like proofs much less early ones.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice as I like all 3 image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like em alot too!