Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Terrible planchet? Damage? Acceptable?

DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been slowly (emphasis on that word) trying to assemble the 8-coin set of 1565-71 Scotland 30-shilling Ryals or "Sword dollars". In 10 years I'd managed to get six of them, all of which are now in PCGS holders. The final two I need, based upon my auction records research, are the toughest and most expensive: 1568 and 1571. I finally bought a 1571 this month and I'm looking for thoughts and comments.

The surface toning, grime and overall "look" are everything I could possibly hope for, but the numerous huge marks on the sword side have me mystified. Are they the remnants of a profoundly bad planchet? Are they post mint damage? Are they market acceptable in the context of the age, grade, and eye appeal? NGC apparently decided they are market acceptable, but do you agree?

What is clear is that whatever they are, they have been there for at least 437 years, since that is when the revaluation of 1578 thistle counterstamp was punched into them. As for me, I'm happy to have found an affordable example of this year, and it will go to PCGS for whatever decision it decides to render.

When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be planchet issues, and a very nice coin there! Keeper...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like an original plachet flaw to me due to the wrinkled metal appearance. With that said, i love it. I think planchet flaws add character. I second the keeper comment added above.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see the assembled pieces together in one thread.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruff planchet, but nice color. And I'm envious. Despite my Scottish heritage, I have yet to own a Scottish coin.

PS- I guess NGC found the planchet flaws to be within the tolerances for "normal" with this issue, as they didn't details-grade the coin. I once had a Victorian Hong Kong cent get details-graded for a much subtler planchet flaw than that. But that would've been outside the norm for that particular issue, I suppose.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just looks like grudge planchet preparation and being multi struck with rotation didn't make things any better.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!