Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Ottley Barnyard

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
Despite the mediocre artwork, I am becoming fond of the Ottley barnyard medals. Perhaps because of the mediocre artwork, the Ottley medals may have been inexpensive enough for them to be awarded as prizes for all sorts of agricultural events. I obtained this silver one from Simmons. Considering the g-dawful toning, it must have been stored in some horrible manner. On the other hand, it certainly has personality. This medal was:

Awarded as an Extra Prize to George Valentine of Bedford Leigh, for the 2nd best Cultivated Farm entered for competition not less than 50 A.
August 14, 1867
T. B. Ryder, Sec.

imageimage

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quite like it, as well!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the artwork is that bad. (Yeah, OK, so the pig looks more like a piggy bank than a pig, and that sheep in the front looks suspiciously leopardlike, but so what?)

Nor do I find the toning g-dawful. It's actually kind of pretty around the date on the reverse. (The 1847 date, I mean. Those hints of sea green are nice.)

Personality this one has, indeed.

Hats off to the Victorian artisans who could engrave something like the reverse inscription so beautifully... by hand. I wonder if it took the better part of his day to do that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.