Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Roman Republic: silver denarius of moneyer L. Furius Brocchus, ca. 63 BC

Ancient Roman Republic: silver denarius of moneyer L. Furius Brocchus, ca. 63 BC

Obverse: III VIR BROCCHI, bust of Ceres right, between wheat ear and barley corn.

Reverse: L FVRI C N F, curule chair between fasces.

Rome mint, circa 63 BC. Sear-365, Syd-902, Cr-414/1, 18 mm, 3.9 g, orientation 12/6. NGC Choice Very Fine (Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5), cert. #4166941-005. Ex-Joseph Mastrario of Imperator Coins, 10/27/2014 noted as "ex-Chiltren collection". Prior provenance to CNG eAuction 296, Lot 219, 2/13/2013.

Before purchasing this, I'd had only limited experience with Roman Republican coins, having spent most of my time with the later Roman Imperial issues. I had my eye on a Mint State Republican denarius, but the toning, design, and price tag on this one were more appealing to me. It's pretty well centered, too. I guess you could say I "got Furius" when I bought this, and that's a good thing when it's spelled that way. In hand, the obverse toning is even prettier than in these images. There appears to be something going on in the fields below the reverse design, as though perhaps there were ghostly traces of an undertype showing. Perhaps this coin was overstruck on an earlier denarius? I don't know.

Miscellaneous links:

Original CNG images

Alternate images

NGC cert verification page

L. Furius Brocchus denarius (Wildwinds reference)

Original seller page

CNG auction page

Earlier thread about this coin (Collectors Universe)

Wikipedia links:

Roman Republic

Moneyer

Ceres (mythology)

Curule chair

When posted here, this coin was part of my Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    It's a wonderful coin, congratulations! I'm really starting to get into Roman Republicans and have my eye on several coming up image
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I am not sure why, but this thread makes me mad.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I'm getting deja vu image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm getting deja vu image >>

You can say that again!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    This denarius was the inspiration for a large 1980 FAO medal. Ceres was a natural tie to the organization and they were commemorating their offices on the reverse. Never got around to buying the roman coin (please let me know if you decide to rotate your coin out of your box of 20 Lord M), but I did think the medal showed the obverse to good effect so bought an AE medal from FAO at the time. Also issued in AR and AV, but they were rather more expensive than my level of interest as I recall.

While only a casual interest, I do find the recycling of prior types on contemporary coins and medals quite appealing and think that there might be couple of other examples around somewhere.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm getting deja vu image >>

Yes, there was a prior thread about this coin. Sorry for the redundancy, but since this is the permanent linkback thread for the coin, and the other thread was a bit silly, I reposted.

PS- thanks for posting that medal, PuffinMan.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic coin and a neat medal to boot! The Colosseum and Trajan's Column on it means I'm going to have to get me one of the denarii and the medal as well... reading the forum is damaging to my wantlist.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection