imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Any thoughts on grades or otherwise?

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    My limited knowledge of counterstamps is that the grade of the stamp is more important than the grade of the "host" coin. That 1849 Costa Rica 2R seems to have a really sharp strike on the stamp, so I'd say that's the best piece of the bunch grade-wise. The Azores is also nice. Bigger photos / more zoom would be helpful in determining grade.

Otherwise, very nice lot and quite an assortment IMO. I don't see these often in my hunting, so whenever I see a lot like this, it feels like the jackpot image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those counterstamped cobs are really neat. I like the first one in particular.

The Wildman ain't too shabby, either. Looks pretty high grade.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are some neat pieces!
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My limited knowledge of counterstamps is that the grade of the stamp is more important than the grade of the "host" coin. That 1849 Costa Rica 2R seems to have a really sharp strike on the stamp, so I'd say that's the best piece of the bunch grade-wise. The Azores is also nice. Bigger photos / more zoom would be helpful in determining grade.

Otherwise, very nice lot and quite an assortment IMO. I don't see these often in my hunting, so whenever I see a lot like this, it feels like the jackpot image >>

True because a lot of the host coins were taken from circulation and stamped to indicate authenticity and revaluation for the local economy.

I read somewhere that it was less expensive for the counter stamp issuing authority to use other locales worn coinage than designing and minting their own.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Always easier (and cheaper) to borrow than to create. Universal truth.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE