Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need some suggestions...coins minted in Paris same time Notre Dame was built

I asked my wife to marry me outside of the Notre Dame (across the Seine) and have been pondering the idea of adding a coin minted in Paris during the same time that the Notre Dame de Paris was built. This would mean a coin minted between 1160 and 1345. Preferably I would like a coin minted during the early period of construction, so say 1160-1225. My budget for this is approximately $300.

Any suggestions?

Dennis

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    French silver deniers (denarius or penny) might be what you want.

For example, Forum Ancient Coins has some for around $100.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Great idea! But consider a coin from the final year instead. Typically with a major construction project the most celebrated dates are groundbreaking and ribbon cutting. The later date will have a much more attractive range of coins from which to choose, while earlier pieces may not look as "romantic" or pretty. But if you like the earlier stuff, then perhaps a "groundbreaking" coin from the first year?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I'm not opposed to a later piece, such as a Gros Tournois, but the problem is that I have absolutely no clue where they were struck...I really want a piece that was definitively struck in Paris.

Looks like a Denier from Philippe II is my best bet, they are common enough, but unfortunately I haven't found a single one I like (i.e. high grade enough where I can easily identify it).

Hmmm. This is harder than I thought.

Dennis
  • Options
    For example, this would be a great piece, but I presume this was minted in Tours:

Link
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a fantastic looking medieval.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Since the Notre Dame was completed in 1345 , you might be interested in a coin minted under Philippe VI (1328-1350)
    a golden ECU can be bought for around 500 Euro , not on eBay right now, but Kuenker and others have cheaper examples of this very nice design coin.

Philippe VI on eBay
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    I ran across this coin last night and I bought it. It's exactly what I had in mind (seller's images):

Louis VII (1137-1180). Denier Paris. 3rd Type. Duplessy-146var

This is about the best example of this type I saw in my few hours of research and the date almost perfectly matches when construction of the Notre Dame started. All the lettering is clear, which was my main requirement, including the all-important "PARISII CIVIS".

I do like Andres' suggestion of adding an ECU from Philippe VI to this as well. It's a little bit above my budget right now but I will definitely keep that in mind. It's definitely a big difference with this coin but for outsiders it might be more reminiscent of the Notre Dame itself and it's style.

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Nice, love it when a plan comes together. Congrats!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Dennis, that's a fantastic coin. Congrats on your newp!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Gefeliciteerd Dennis , leuk scherp muntje image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.