Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancients: Zeus, the King of the Gods

Depending on who was in control at the time, the electrum coinage of Phokaia and Mytilene in Ionia was struck as payment to either the Persian Empire or the Delian League. Issued semi-annually, the volume of coins minted was prolific – both mints produced a wide range of designs and a significant output of electrum coinage.

Even though the Athens owl tetradrachms were increasing in popularity, the hektes produced from Ionia remained the preferred coinage around the Aegean Sea. They were able to maintain their dominance through highly profitable trade with the other coastal cities, resulting in the hekte acting as a recognizable trade currency. Stylistically, the coins resembled intaglio gem engraving, with the reverses engraved incuse. While Mytilene utilized the reverse space with additional artistic designs, Phokaia retained the archaic tradition of the four-part incuse square.

Phokaia also consistently depicted their civic badge, a seal named Phoke, on the obverse of the coin alongside the primary image of a god or animal.

They remained in circulation across the region for over two centuries, helped in part by their relative resistance to wear through the firm alloy of silver and gold. The series was finally ended in 326 BC when gold became preferred over electrum after Alexander the Great standardized the coinage of eastern Greece.

This coin is unknown to any reference guide and possibly unique. However, it can be accurately identified as a coin minted by Phokaia by both the seal shown on the obverse and the incuse reverse square.

The portrait shown on the obverse is that of Zeus. While a common choice for coins throughout Greece due to the significance and popularity of the “King of the Gods”, Zeus occurs relatively infrequently on electrum and is only seen facing left on one other very rare issue.

Regardless of the metal type, Zeus is always depicted majestically, paying homage to his importance. This coin is no exception, showing his portrait in a respectful, fine style and adorned with a laurel wreath, fit for the “Father of Gods and men”.

IONIA, Phokaia, Electrum Hekte, ca.450-400BC, 9mm, 2.6g. Head of Zeus l./Quadripartite incuse square. Extremely rare, possibly unique.

Post your hektes or coins featuring Zeus!
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    I have no hektes but thanks for another wonderful writeup!

Like most ancient collectors I do have a few coins of Zeus, although most of my Zeus coins are of Zeus Ammon. I'm currently working on a thread for Zeus Ammon coins so for now here's my nicest unsyncreted Zeus.

KINGS OF MACEDON, Philip II. 356-36 BCE
    AR tetradrachm. 24mm, 14.20 gm, 12h
    Lifetime issue of Pella, 342-336 BCE
    Obv: Laureate head of Zeus right
    Rev: ΦIΛIΠ-ΠOY, youth, holding palm and reins, on horseback right, thunderbolt below, N in exergue
    Ref: Le Rider 222-306. SNG ANS 385-95
    Deeply struck and beautifully toned. NGC Choice VF 5/5 - 3/5, Fine Style.
    Privately acquired August 2013; ex Colosseo Collection
    Image by Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Post your hektes >>

Wish I could.

TIF2, that's a superb looking coin. I have a hunch I know who you got it from. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

<< <i>This coin is unknown to any reference guide and possibly unique. >>

<< <i>IONIA, Phokaia, Electrum Hekte, ca.450-400BC, 9mm, 2.6g. Head of Zeus l./Quadripartite incuse square. Extremely rare, possibly unique. >>

=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another beauty. I thank you in advance for sending me all of the pieces you outgrow, Smeagle. image

Just another reminder: That piece is tiny. Smaller than an aspirin. Imagine the skill it took to engrave a punch like that without the aid of a magnifying glass! The Phoke is, what, 1mm long!?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice post.

Here are mine:

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Epeiros Federal Coinage (Epirote Republic) Circa 234-168 B.C. Drachm

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful. Such detail on such a tiny coin. And it's so nicely centered. Not to mention how rare it is.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.