Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A remarkable coin with a captivating story

The United Kingdom England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales - story of a COIN that is difficult to mach

An Awesome Silver TESTOON of MARY QUEEN of Scotland, given to the man Mr.Bull that would behead her at the scaffold Feb 7th. 1587

Collectables as coins are portable, tangible and today remain desirable as an investment and hobby. Numismatics is the study of MONEY.
History reminds us that one of the first recorded collectors was EMPEROR AUGUSTUS born in 63 BC. Augustus was the founder of the Roman Empire and its first Emperor, ruling from 27 BC.

The hobby has attracted all types of people from Kings to academics and why not, as people have always had a fascination with money.
The subject is too wide and in one short paper so we can only touch on one subject. We shall look at what is considered today to be topical. A Scottish Coin.
If all coins could tell their own story, history would be re-written. Pieces with a story are hard to come by.

During the reign of Elizabeth I, also nicknamed the Virgin Queen of England 1558 until her death 1603, we had Mary Queen of Scots who was probably the most interesting and controversial monarch of the 16th century. She claimed the crowns of four nations, Scotland, France, England and Ireland. Executed at the age of 44 in 1587 after spending 20 years of her life in confinement, she was Queen of Scotland (1542-87), Queen consort of France (1559-60) & the daughter of King James V of Scotland by his second wife. Her mother, Mary of Guise, had fought a long hopeless struggle to preserve Scotland as a Roman Catholic nation for her daughter Mary.

Mary became Queen of Scotland at a week old. Her betrothal to Edward VI of England, the only son of Henry 8, was cancelled by the Scottish parliament, precipitating a war with England in which the Scots’ were defeated. Mary was then sent to the French court and married Francis, Dauphin of France (1558) who was crowned Francis II in 1559. Mary was widowed at 18 (1560) and returned to Scotland.

Portraits of Mary show a strikingly attractive woman and tall at 1.80m (5 feet 11 inches). Eloquent and clever, she learned to play the harpsichord and string instrument, was competent in poetry, horsemanship, falconry and needlework, and spoke many languages including French, Italian, Spanish, Greek and Scots.

Mary was ambitious for the English throne and in 1565 married her cousin, Henry Stewart, Lord Darnley, who was three years her younger and they had a son who was to be the future James VI . Darnley was mysteriously killed after being implicated in the murder of Mary’s close adviser and secretary, David Rizzio. Mary then took the Earl of Bothell as her husband, but soon after the Protestant nobles in Scotland rose against Mary. She was imprisoned and forced to abdicate in favour of her son James, but Mary escaped and raised an army. This was defeated by the lords at Langside in 1568. Mary escaped and placed herself under the protection of Queen Elizabeth 1st, but instead found herself a prisoner.

Following the death of Henry VIII's elder daughter, Queen Mary I of England in 1558, she was succeeded by her sibling, Elizabeth I. Under the Succession Act of 1543, Elizabeth was recognized as her sister's heir, and Henry VIII's last will had excluded the Stuarts from succeeding to the English throne. Catholics saw Elizabeth as illegitimate, and Mary Stuart as the rightful queen of England. Mary's claim to the English throne was a constant danger to Protestant England, though Elizabeth was loath to eliminate Mary, preferring to unite the country rather than divide it.
Mary’s presence in England gave rise to countless plots to depose Elizabeth and restore Catholicism. Finally, after a conspiracy in 1586 Elizabeth relented and Mary was charged with treason, found guilty, and executed in Fotheringay Castle, Northamptonshire on February 7, 1587.

Her last words were, "In manus tuas, Domine, commendo spiritum meum" ("Into thy hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit")

A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting!

I just read Antonia Fraser's biography of Queen Mary Stuart.

Note: For some reason the pictures are not displaying.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    HERE

Awesome coin and story. Coins connected to a very specific historic event are the most interesting to me.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    Sorry, still no pictures.

Link goes to a login page of http://postimage.org.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    sorry look on the Face Book by clicking this link the COIN OF MARY IS ON THE COVER regards Jeff https://www.facebook.com/petitioncrowncoin
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    it is an awsome story

see sorry look on the Face Book by clicking this link the COIN OF MARY IS ON THE COVER regards Jeff https://www.facebook.com/petitioncrowncoin
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Great read and a cool coin. I wonder why the nobles rose against her in the first place?

added: Ah I see, it was the Protestant nobles.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry, still no pictures.

Link goes to a login page of http://postimage.org.

image >>

Huh, it worked when I first posted it.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I can not find any historical notes about Mary giving money to her executioner.

Does anyone have a source for this claim?

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. Indeed, fascinating, if there's any period documentation to the story.

I have heard about people paying their own executioner in Tudor times, but don't have any specific references to cite offhand.

The idea was to pay 'em to do the job well, and get it done in a single clean stroke. Didn't always happen that way- sometimes it got botched and the executioner had to take multiple whacks.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting. Indeed, fascinating, if there's any period documentation to the story.

I have heard about people paying their own executioner in Tudor times, but don't have any specific references to cite offhand.

The idea was to pay 'em to do the job well, and get it done in a single clean stroke. Didn't always happen that way- sometimes it got botched and the executioner had to take multiple whacks. >>

Indeed people did pay their executioner to do one clean whack - but I have seen no evidence that Queen Mary did such at Fotheringray. And why would she give him one of her portrait coins - a coin from Scotland that had no tenor in England and was even obsolete in Scotland by that time?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And why would she give him one of her portrait coins - a coin from Scotland that had no tenor in England and was even obsolete in Scotland by that time? >>

This thought occurred to me as well.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    To make a last statement for her 20 years of imprisonement?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Execution failures are not strictly a modern problem.

"Bull", the executioner, missed her neck the first time and struck her head.
    His second blow hit the neck and almost severed the head, he was then able to finish the job.
    Afterwards, he held up her head by her hair, and the head fell to the ground, as Mary had been wearing a wig.

"Bull" was paid £10 for his work, but by the officials, not Mary.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    And this is why Pierrepoint, Britain's last hangman's true story, with 608 εxecutions, several of which after the Nurenmberg trial is such a captivating movie. Pierrepoint
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta see that movie

Tom

• Options
    While Mary was Queen of Scotland, she would perform in "masques", a form of dramatic entertainment
    which consisted of dancing and acting.

Her favorite character was "Diana the Huntress" as she also liked to ride fast horses and hunt.

Diana, almost six feet tall, beautiful, light hair, athletic, excelent dancer, loved speed...

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Execution failures are not strictly a modern problem.

"Bull", the executioner, missed her neck the first time and struck her head.
    His second blow hit the neck and almost severed the head, he was then able to finish the job.
    Afterwards, he held up her head by her hair, and the head fell to the ground, as Mary had been wearing a wig. >>

Yikes. Sounds like the worst execution EVER. She was probably still alive when he pried the ax from her skull to strike again ... just horrible.

Music I like. Tall and pretty I like. Falconry ... I could do without image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Yikes. Sounds like the worst execution EVER. She was probably still alive when he pried the ax from her skull to strike again ... just horrible.

Music I like. Tall and pretty I like. Falconry ... I could do without image >>

Traditionally royals were executed using a sword rather than an Axe. I know that was the case for Anne Boleyn.

Lord M is correct, it was common for the rich to tip the executioner as a way of asking for a good job.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps "Bull" didn't think it was a good tip.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE