Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A Trio of British Shillings with TrueViews

I recently had some spare slots in a CC voucher submission, so decided to submit a trio of GB
shillings for regrade and TrueView. All were purchased from the late William Paul and resided
in old, scuffed up MS64 holders. I'm happy to report that all were upgraded to MS64+, which
was a nice bonus. I wasn't expecting any to go MS65. Here are the TrueViews:

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Nice!

I'm curious, if you didn't expect any 65's then why regrade? Why not reholder?
    Does the TruView require the regrade service?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice!

I'm curious, if you didn't expect any 65's then why regrade? Why not reholder?
    Does the TruView require the regrade service? >>

Thanks, LochNESS.

TrueView does not require a regrade, but with a Diamond membership CC voucher, the cost of
    regrade per coin is roughly $20, as opposed to Secure Plus reholder at $12. I figured the coins
    had a decent shot at the plus, which is worth $8 to me, even if just validation that I'm selecting
    coins that are nice for grade.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That's a very nice group.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful coins and very nice images. I like the 1835 - looks as if 65 was at least possible

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful trio. The George IV reverse is especially nice.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely!

I am particularly fond of the George IV. Not only have I always liked that reverse design, but your piece has some nice colorful accents in the toning. image

Speaking of shillings and TrueViews and MS64, my George I South Sea shilling didn't quite make that grade. It was previously NGC MS64, but only went MS63+ at PCGS. Still, I'm content, and was happy to get the TrueView.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Those are great coins. I like the toning around the head of George IV. Also, the William IV coin displays the type of toning that I like in silver coins very much from that period. To me, coins like this are what would happen to the very lustrous coins of say the 1940's from Switzerland as they age and that deep white luster mellows into a light gold. I have to avoid buying the minor silver, as tempting as it is since I have my hands full with farthings, ancients, et cetera. But at a show, if I see a Swiss piece or 3 pence from the teens for under $10 raw, it's coming with me, whether I want to collect them or not. image
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoinJunkie, those are fantastic shillings. Are these a part of a complete Shilling type set? Great examples!
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for the positive comments. Sorry about my delayed response to your questions.

coinkat: The slightly muted luster is probably all that kept the William IV from MS65. I suppose the same
    could be said of the other two coins, although the 1835 is the cleanest of the lot. In any case, the luster
    of all is much more apparent in their new, unscuffed holders.

lordmarcovan: That's a very nice George I shilling. Thanks for sharing! I purchased a nice, toned example
    of that date in a PCGS 65 OGH out of a recent Heritage auction.

brg5658: Besides the George I just mentioned, I have a 1747 George II in PCGS 58 and a 1663 Charles II
    in PCGS 50. I am interested in acquiring others, although how complete a shilling type set I end up with is TBD.
    It is more of a side project than an all-consuming pursuit at this point.

I will post high quality photos of the other coins I mentioned whenever I have some taken.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shilling is fun to collect- by monarch or type or even a complete date run within the reign of a monarch. Starting with Henry VIII, I think the only hole in the monarch set for me is Philip and Mary -still have a way to go for the date set of George II.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.