Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Paper Chop...or Happy Wedding!

Here's something a little different and just close enough to my collecting focus that I decided to include it. I normally focus on American and European coins with asian chop marks. This is a Chinese coin and will serve as a placeholder until I can find a western minted example.

There are many types of "chop marks" out there, Frank Rose lists them in his book, simply titled "Chopmarks".

1. Test marks
2. Edge cuts
3. Small chops
4. Large chops
5. Chops in relief
6. Assay chops
7. Letter chops
8. Number chops
9. Manchu chops
10. Bankers ink chops
11. Paper chops
12. Presentation chops

The main focus of my chop mark collection is to find western (american or european) coins with chinese chop marks. I like this concept with the idea being these coins must have made a round trip of sorts on a boat, traveling in a big chest of silver to Canton or a surrounding area, gaining at least one chop mark as the piece was used in some kind of trade transaction, then traveling back and somehow ending up in my collection.

As a secondary goal, I'm trying to locate at least one example of each type of chop mark listed above. If the host coin is a western minted coin, great, but not a strict requirement.

Yes, now let's get to the coin. Here's an example of a Wedding Chop.

The host coins is a (1914) China Republic $1 Y-329 LM-63 (I think). You'll also notice a small chop mark resides on the obverse field just in front of the "fat man".

According to Rose:

Paper Chops: The usual paper chop is the "Happy Wedding" chop. A western purist scholar of Chinese will say that the word of the chop is "Double Happy," but show one of these coins with this paper chop to a Chinese man or woman, and they will smile and say "Happy Wedding Coin." There have been rumors from time to time that there were other paper chops, particularly anti-Japanese propaganda, but this author has never seen one, not even a photograph.

Along with this description, Rose displays a paper wedding chop on a cap and rays Mexico 8R, so I know they exist on latin american minted coinage.

Hey EVP, maybe you can switch out the Gobrecht with a "happy wedding" coin for your father in law??

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey EVP, maybe you can switch out the Gobrecht with a "happy wedding" coin for your father in law??

Nah. I'm already coming out ahead. I get a free bed warmer for the rest of my life. Oh, wait, that is what a dog is for. Hmmm...

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much chatter on this one. Not very interesting, or just too obscure? Anyone else ever found an example out there?
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too esoteric, but supposedly QDB has great interest in this topic. He took great interest in my 55-S half a few years ago.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, is that actually paper applied to the coin, not ink or paint?

very neat looking.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, is that actually paper applied to the coin, not ink or paint?

very neat looking. >>

Yes, it's actually paper applied to the coin. Wild huh?
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I have a Mexican peso that has a black ink chop. Unfortunately the characters aren't very clear, but it could be anti-Japanese propaganda. I'll post a photo if I can find it. Unfortunately, I've found many of my coins hard to find once I've started looking for them (e.g. my collection of Canadian large cents). I reckon it's time to clean house!
    Obscurum per obscurius