Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is something going on with Indian coins?

A random walk through the auction results for Indian coins on the Heritage website today (I have too much time on my hands...) revealed some, to my thinking, rather amazing results. For example, three 1919-1920 Geo V 8 annas restrike in proof sold in the $500 to $1700 range in 2012-13. And, there were several QV and KEVII rupees in relatively low unc (MS 62) that sold for over $100, while a PCGS MS 64 1908(c) rupee went for over $500 in December 2013. Do I need a new Krause (mine is a 2004), or has the Indian coin market heated up?

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krause is useless when pricing Indian coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their economy is doing quite well. Just like the Chinese, Russian and Eastern European
    countries many collectors of means are bringing home the numismatic treasures. I can remember
    buying those large copper "kopecks" in the 80's by the bag full, now I can sell one
    piece for what I paid for a lot of 25. Same with Hungarian Madonna denars and 1600
    kreuzers.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    India has been on a tear for the past 6-7 years. I had one of the modern proof sets, can't remember which year, that I had paid around $3 for back in the 80's. It sold on ebay for around $600 or so two years ago.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krause is useless any day for pricing. Even when just published. Just look at how often they publish....
    However, for info on coins etc... They are well positioned.
    I never rely on their pricing. there are other, more up to date pricing sources.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Krause is useless when pricing Indian coins. >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

The time has arrived for me to slab those bags of 2 annas, and 1/4 annas, eh?
  • Options
    GreigGreig Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Heritage had a number of Indian coins in the CICF auctions. The last auction - yesterday - had an NGC 63 1880(c) 1/4 rupee, which went for a whopping $21,150 (with buyer's premium). My Krause lists this coin in UNC at $25. Anybody got an idea why this coin went for some much money?
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    I suspected it was a rare variety that isn't listed in Krause - there are a number of these, but upon looking at the NGC price guide I only see one 1880(c) coin listed, and that is the 1880C Incuse Type C Bust, Type II Reverse. This coins lists for $2500 in VF, $6000 in EF and $10000 in Unc. So I guess Krause is very wrong and out of date.
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

The time has arrived for me to slab those bags of 2 annas, and 1/4 annas, eh? >>

If they are better dates and/or really high grade - yes!