Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Today's ancient/dark age/medieval newps- a busy day for me! (update: NGC results in!)

It's been a busy day, and one far in excess of my normal budgetary constrictions, but I'm converting some of the proceeds of the recent sale of my Holey Coin Vest collection (and paid some bills, too, so I can splurge with a clear conscience).

<< <i>FRANCE, Metz. Civic issue. 14th-16th century. AR Gros (3.01 gm)
Boudeau 1659; Saurma 1896/927; Roberts 8932. Toned, good VF >>

<< <i>GAIUS CALIGULA. 37-41 AD. Æ AS
GAIUS CALIGULA. 37-41 AD. Æ As (10.96 gm). Struck 37/38 AD. C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS PON M TR POT, bare head left / VESTA, S C across field, Vesta seated left, holding patera and sceptre. RIC I 38; BMCRE 46; Cohen 27. Good VF, dark patina. >>

This is actually my third Caligula in present ownership. The other two have had run-ins with bronze disease, which is frustrating, since my other VESTA As has detail as nice as this one, maybe, but some newly-acquired and tragic pitting from the bronze disease, which it caught suddenly and catastrophically. I am hoping this one will be a bit luckier. If I can get it NGC holdered, my Twelve Caesars slab set will be complete, and the upgrading can begin.

<< <i>Justinian I. 527-565. AV Tremissis (15mm, 1.50 g, 7h). Constantinople mint. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Victory advancing right, head left, holding wreath and globus cruciger; star to right; CONOB. DOC 19; MIBE 19; SB 145. Good VF, slightly wavy flan, small edge split. >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Very nice LM.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that gold I see? Nice.

Have you sold the gold off your hat?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, that is only my second piece of ancient gold ever, and the first without a hole. And in answer to your second question, I have kept the Holey Gold Hat (and my two silver favorites from the Holey Coin Vest.) The other ancient gold is a holed Zeno solidus, ex-Eliasberg, which is the centerpiece to my hat.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful additions. Surprisingly I like the AR Gros the best. Its in fantastic shape. I especially like the hand of god.

Hopefully the Caligula wont get BD like the other two image

Not much to say on the gold other then lucky #$&!*, image
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice shopping spree Rob! I like the Metz piece in particular.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Caligula!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice Caligula! >>

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Interesting run of coins Rob, the Metz piece is especially pretty. Several times I've thought seriously about chucking it all and building a focussed collection limited to 100, or so, killer coins. However, I suffer too much from the "oh look a shiny thing" syndrome so realize I'll never be able to actually pull this off.

It'll be interesting to see you finsh and then upgrade/rotate new coins into it.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that French piece.

Good job converting the hole set to a new partial set. Wise choice IMO.
  • Options
    The Metz gros arrived the other day, and looks fantastic. (Thanks, BS!)

The tremissis arrived yesterday and I'm very pleased with it. It's only my second piece of ancient gold, as mentioned, and my first ancient gold without a hole in it. It's also the first gold coin of any kind I've bought in quite some time, certainly since bullion shot up and put most gold out of my reach. To be able to add not just a gold coin but an ancient one to my modest collection is a nice thing, and something that isn't likely to happen to me very often.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not forgiving you quite the yet for your letting of the holey vest - it was a numismatic wonderland worthy of note.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Good. I'm not so sure I deserve forgiveness on that score, yet. image

But hey, I kept the hat with the holey gold on it, at least. (And two of my favorite silver pieces from the vest.)

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Justinian Tremissis looks interesting.

Victory looks like she is dancing, with one foot up.

She almost has a resemblance to Mary Tyler Moore.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Mary Tyler Moore. Now that's a show of which I haven't even seen reruns in about twenty years.

Rob! Awesome newps. Congrats on the Caligula. Now, I believe you're familiar with our forum ad valorum tax? Every newp needs to be registered! Just PayPal me 10% of the book values and I'll let it slide this time image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Lord Marcovan, how rare are the Caligula as(es?, I don't know how to pluralize that correctly). I have a small collection of Roman Imperial As and Denarii but it really has no rhyme or reason. I would like to at least work on some sort of Twelve Emperors set to give it at least an overaching theme and possible completion at some point.

I'm impressed by all of the recent purchases, btw. Very nice group.

On a side note, were you at the ANA in Chicago in '91? I believe I might have met you there or somewhere with your holey vest while I was a teenager. I don't think there were too many others walking around with holey coin vests on. That or I am hallucinating from other things I did in my teenage years. image
  • Options

<< <i>Lord Marcovan, how rare are the Caligula as(es?, I don't know how to pluralize that correctly). I have a small collection of Roman Imperial As and Denarii but it really has no rhyme or reason. I would like to at least work on some sort of Twelve Emperors set to give it at least an overaching theme and possible completion at some point.

I'm impressed by all of the recent purchases, btw. Very nice group.

On a side note, were you at the ANA in Chicago in '91? I believe I might have met you there or somewhere with your holey vest while I was a teenager. I don't think there were too many others walking around with holey coin vests on. That or I am hallucinating from other things I did in my teenage years. image >>

You definitely should try a "Twelve Caesars" collection, if not a wider Roman emperor collection (empresses, too, if you like!) Caligula AEs are not especially rare, but they're scarce enough, I guess. And pricey when one gets up into the more attractive specimens. In my first attempt at a Roman emperor collection in 2007-08, I found a decent Caligula easily enough, and so downplayed all the hype one hears about him being the toughie in a Twelve Caesars set. An acceptable Otho was far tougher for me at the time. Now, on my second time around, I've found Caligula to indeed be the hardest, but mostly because of my aforementioned problems with bronze disease on the last two I bought. My uppermost budgetary ceiling has traditionally been $500/coin, but I did stretch a little bit above that for this piece. Of the three newps in the OP of this thread, that Caligula was the most expensive, costing even more than the gold coin.

I wasn't in Chicago in 1991, but in North Carolina. In fact, I was only just rekindling my interest in numismatics, having set aside my childhood collection after high school in 1984. In 1991 I was a new father and living pathetically poor. A BU Mercury dime would at the time have been a major coup for me. But my Darkside inclination was about to be born- I think I got my first Krause catalog around 1992. So no, you wouldn't have seen me wearing the Holey Coin Vest in '91. I didn't start that until the fall of 2000. But it's not an original idea to me- other people have done it in the past.

• Options
    Hmmm, I think that I for sure saw someone wearing the precursor of he truly famous holey coin vest. I also think that if you two ever met that a "Highlander" type standoff would be appropriate.

Hmmm. $500 per coin is so far above my ceiling o' spending that I may just go back to my British penny collection and let my Roman Emperor collection just sit for a bit. I would love to complete some sort of Roman Emperor collection though.
  • Options

<< <i>Hmmm. $500 per coin is so far above my ceiling o' spending that I may just go back to my British penny collection and let my Roman Emperor collection just sit for a bit. I would love to complete some sort of Roman Emperor collection though. >>

With a ceiling of only $100/coin, you can make a lot of headway. You'll just have a tougher time with some of the Twelve Caesars, particularly Caligula and Otho. And if you stretched to $200-250 for those, you could probably find a provincial with their portrait. Some of the provincials have more interesting designs, anyway.

Nobody has ever had or ever will have a "complete" Roman emperor set, not even the British Museum.

The Caligula arrived from London today. Looks nicer in hand. Probably even a bit nicer than the one that caught bronze disease (which I'd paid a lot less for).

So some of the sting of having to dig deep in my pocket for another example is mitigated by the fact I'm pleased with the purchase. The patina looks good. It doesn't look like it's about to break out in spots, either, though I'll be watching it like a hawk.

• Options
    Well, I have to be careful with my budgetary constrictions, but I think I will work more on my Roman Emperor set. Even if it is to tick off a piece on the checklist occasionally, I forgot how much I enjoyed the coins I already have. My daughter also thinks that they are "neat" because they are so freaking old. Considering that I haven't bought a Russian coin in over a month and have been working on my English penny set (Hammered coins, I recently discovered, pretty much rule) with limited success, it's possible that I might be able to slip a Roman coin in there here and there.

I have had some luck with one fellow on the bay and his ancient material. I did buy one or two off of VCoins, but they seem so high priced that there is very little chance of ever finding a bargain.

Any recommendations for sellers? Any books I should have? I believe I have Sear and a history book that lists all of the Emperors because oddly I was having trouble finding that information condensed in a really easily accessible work.
  • Options
    NGC results are in!

VF on the Caligula - not quite a "Ch VF" grade as the seller had it, but that's fine by me. I'm just glad I finally got a Caligula into TPG plastic. That has been something of a trail of tears, with the two prior bronze disease incidents. And I like the patina on this one. (I had to pay quite a bit more for it than the last two.)

And.. Mint State on the Justinian tremissis! Woohoo! CNG had it as a gVF! I was hoping for Ch XF at best! OK, so NGC gave it a "wrinkled" comment, which is in keeping with the "slightly wavy" flan. I can definitely live with that. I'm happy. This is only my second piece of ancient gold, as mentioned, and the first without a hole in it. Also my first MS coin since I started slabbing ancients.

(The Metz gros in the OP is still raw. I am planning on doing my medieval coins with PCGS.)

There were seven other bronzes in this submission; four Seleucid Greeks with desert patina and three late Roman pieces. Cheapo stuff for the most part. In fact, all of them were cheaper than the cost of slabbing 'em, but I slabbed 'em anyway because I felt like it. I think the Seleucids will be well worth having in plastic. All of these cheaper bronzes went F to VF.

<< <i>COIN LIST

Coins for NGC Invoice Number 4170211
    LineItem Year Mint Mark Variety/Pedigree Denom. Grade Comments Comments
    001 Justinian I AD 527-565 BYZANTINE EMPIRE AV Tremissis MS wrinkled
    002 Caligula AD 37-41 ROMAN EMPIRE AE As VF
    003 Antiochus VIII 121-96 BC SELEUCID KINGDOM AE17 F
    004 Antiochus IX 114/3-95 BC SELEUCID KINGDOM AE19 F
    005 2nd-1st Centuries BC CILICIA TARSUS AE20 F
    006 Antiochus IX 114/3-95 BC SELEUCID KINGDOM AE18 F
    007 Constantius II AD 337-361 ROMAN EMPIRE BI Centenionalis F
    008 Diocletian AD 284-305 ROMAN EMPIRE BI Aurelianianus VF
    009 Probus AD 276-282 ROMAN EMPIRE BI Aurelianianus Ch VF >>

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, that is a sexy ancient gold image
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the good returns. I like that Caligula alot.
  • Options
    Good job, LordM, nice coins!
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats for a job well done image
  • Options

Congrats on the Caligula!

It's to bad that NGC uses such low res pics on there certification page. I have paid for there better service in the past but wasn't impressed at all with the results. They used to only give you a font and back of the slab like they do in the cert check but they were a little sharper. I don't know if they have changed that now?

• Options
    True, the photos on the NGC cert verification pages aren't optimal, but they're free to link to, anyway.

I made the mistake of paying for their cheaper $3/coin imaging service once and found I could have done better with my scanner. Never coughed up for the more expensive imaging. I'm sure it doesn't compare favorably with PCGS' TrueView, which is one reason PCGS will be getting my medievals and anything else they'll grade. Obviously they won't do ancients (and perhaps a lot of Dark Age types), so NGC still gets those.