Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Yesterday, I pulled the trigger on the last coin I needed for my Roman 12 Caesars set.

The first time I did the Roman set, I had 11 of the 12 Caesars- everybody but Julius Caesar, since I was focusing on the Imperial period alone then (Augustus to Zeno "A to Z"). I read at the time that one could expect Caligula to be the most challenging, but I found that to be untrue. There are Caligula VESTA AEs everywhere. Otho was the hardest for me then. I bought a decent Caligula VESTA. I later sold it when I had to break up that collection, and the person I sold it to declined my recent buyback offer- he's keeping it and I can't blame him.

THIS time around, with Julius Caesar and all the rest in hand, I found that indeed Caligula was the toughest slot to fill. Simply because I was not going to buy another VESTA unless I could get one nicer than my old one, and these days I can't afford one better than that, particularly with my self-imposed $500-per-coin budgetary ceiling.

So I got to thinking about provincials. I like the design variety on provincials (and the usually-friendlier pricing), but tend to prefer Latin legends to Greek, for the purposes of this collection. I noticed some Spanish mint pieces I liked and had my eye on one. It was kinda flat. I thought it was acceptable, but didn't love it. Then this one came along, offered by a small, perhaps newer VCoins seller. Same design, but with lots more "meat". Yes, it has some marks or old scratches, but I can live with those. (I don't think it's a damnatio like the seller was wondering. The marks would have been much more vicious and deliberate.)

Caligula provincial

<< <i>Caligula. Spain, Caesaraugusta, Æ As. 11.12g. 26mm. VF.

Spain, Caesaraugusta. Caligula Æ As. 11.12g. 26mm. black/brown patina, aVF.

Obverse: C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS IMP.
Laureate head of Caligula left.

Reverse: C C A LICINIANO ET GERMANICO, II VIR in exergue.
Two bulls, led by man behind.

Heiss 206, 60; Cohen 242,43.

It is difficult to conclude for certain whether this is a "damnatio memorium" piece or not. Caligula's face has what appears to be a purposeful hack in it, but this may just be something that occured by accident. The patina in the fields is black, with the highlights being brown. >>

A nod to bronzemat, who helped advise me and help me choose whether to take the plunge or not. When he basically hinted, "if you don't buy it, I will", that clinched it for me.

My Galba bronze is also Spanish, from Tarraco, I believe.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Great coin Lord M. I think provincials still offer great value and offer excellent opportunities to fill out them tough emperors often in larger size and condition than if you stuck with Roman alone. Your coin is in really nice condition, has an interesting reverse type, fairly large size, full legend on the obverse and its even in Latin! What's not to like about that one. Congrats.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, LordM! I'm yet to experience the felling of completing something numismatic-related image
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Congrats LordM,
    I might have to chase that set one day.

Richard
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you pulled the trigger. It really is a nice coin with an excellent portrait. I admit I would prefer a caligula denarius but those are nearly moon money. I would have settled with this one easily for it's portrait.

Best of all the price was right for alot of meat on the bone. The flat one you mentioned I think you would have regretted. Sometimes going too cheap bites you in the rear later on...I should know.

Cant wait to see them presented in their box, even if they are in plastic coffins. Completing a 12 caesars is a bit accomplishment.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats LM!

I look forward to your "all 12 Caesars" thread.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I look forward to your "all 12 Caesars" thread. >>

That'll probably have to be when I've got better pictures.

In the meantime, here's the quick-n-dirty rundown.

Julius Caesar

Augustus

Tiberius

Caligula

Claudius

Nero

Galba

Otho

Vitellius

Vespasian

Titus

Domitian

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Always nice to finish a set, congrats.
  • Options
    Well, it's not a high grade set by any means, and some, particularly the Julius Caesar, aren't exactly beauties. But they're not uglies, either, and to complete a 12-Caesars collection on MY budget is an accomplishment.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. I happen to like the otho, nero, galba, & the caligula the best. Nice your titus is of him as augustus vs the more common caesar like mine.

Still want a tribute penny myself but dang I just can find one under $200 unless its seen alot of action or been run over on train tracks.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    been run over on train tracks

Maybe run over by a chariot during a race.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the set. Way cool!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Sweet set, I love the Spanish Caligula coin! And who couldn't like the Nero/Space Shuttle As!!!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome set!!
  • Options
    Congrats LordM and hail Caesar!!
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Way cool set! I'd love to do this some day but can't see myself spending the kind of money needed for some of them...after all, the most I've ever spent on a single coin was $50!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Congrats! That's a heck of a set. A true beauty.
    What a huge amount of history in such small coins!

I am tempted to do something like that but may end up having problems if I will ever go back for good to Italy.
    It seems that they are stricter than here with old coins.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    johnsim03johnsim03 Posts: 992 ✭✭
    Lovely, just lovely!
    Congratulations.
    John
    John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Pulling the trigger is usually following your instincts. I approve. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on completing your lovely set Lord M!
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to look at.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Great set, Rob image
    love 'm all, except perhaps the Julius coin, in for an upgrade ?
    Are Julius Caesar coins so difficult / expensive to buy ?
    regards, Andre
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    That Nero is a sweeeeet coin in hand, looks way better than the photos suggest!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Great set, Rob image
    love 'm all, except perhaps the Julius coin, in for an upgrade ?
    Are Julius Caesar coins so difficult / expensive to buy ?
    regards, Andre >>

Andre- yes, the Julius Caesar is an ugly duckling. But it is a lifetime portrait issue, struck in February or March of 44 BC. In other words, right around the time of Caesar's assassination on the infamous Ides of March. In this case I chose history over eye appeal, though I could have had a better looking non-Caesar-portrait type for less. That's a pretty tough coin, and it just barely came in under my $500/coin budgetary ceiling. It's got a clear portrait and most of the name is there. Good enough for me, until I can afford a better one. (That won't be anytime soon.)

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Hi Rob, At least you still have a mission for this great set , looking for an upgrade on the Caesar ,
    I'm shure you will find one in the long run,
    good luck hunting,
    Andre
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    image Rob!!!
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny