Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Rome (Imperial): silver denarius of Otho, ca. January-April, 69 AD

Ancient Rome (Imperial): silver denarius of Otho, ca. January-April, 69 AD

Obverse- IMP OTHO CAESAR AVG TR P, bare head right.
Reverse- PONT MAX, Ceres standing left, holding corn ears in right hand, cornucopia in left.

Silver version of RIC 20 (an aureus), 3.1 g. NGC Fine (Strike 3/5, Surface 3/5), cert #4095350-003. Ex- Harlan J. Berk, Ltd., November, 2007.

"Rare second issue of reign", according to HJB. This coin was the keystone of my original Roman coin collection. Otho was a Civil War emperor who ruled for only three months, from January to April 69 AD, and was the second ruler in the "Year of Four Emperors. I was always fascinated by his short reign after discovering how relatively elusive his coins are. When I first started seriously collecting Roman coins in 2007, Otho gave me the hardest time, even though most folks will tell you that Caligula is the toughest coin to add to a Twelve Caesars collection. This remains one of my favorite Roman pieces. These are tough, and even ugly ones sell for hundreds of dollars. I like that this one has a nice portrait, and a clear name, and it's rather interesting that the slightly irregular shape of the flan follows the contour of Otho's shoulder.

Original seller page
NGC cert verification page
Coins of Otho (Wildwinds reference)

Wikipedia links:
Otho
Year of the Four Emperors
Ceres (mythology)

As of the last edit, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.
It was originally part of my "Twelve Caesars" Roman collection.
And before that, it was part of my Old 2007-2008 Roman collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments