Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Rome (Imperatorial): silver denarius of Julius Caesar, lifetime issue, February-March, 44 BC

Ancient Rome (Imperatorial): silver denarius of Julius Caesar, lifetime silver denarius, struck February-March, 44 BC by moneyer C. Cossutius Maridianus

Obverse- Wreathed and veiled head of Caesar right, DICT IN PERPETVO behind, CAESAR before.
Reverse- moneyer's name with Venus standing left, holding Victory and resting elbow on shield on globe.

RSC10, 19mm, 3.17g. NGC VG (Strike 3/5, Surface 2/5, "bankers marks"). Ex- Imperial Coins & Artifacts, 1/15/2011, purchased raw.

Who's more historically famous than Julius Caesar* ? This coin might be an "ugly duckling", but it's got a ton of history. When it came time to pursue a Twelve Caesars collection, I knew that nothing but a lifetime portrait issue of Caesar would do for me, though I probably could have had one of those interesting "elephants" or a more attractive "goddess head" design in better condition for less. This time I chose historical significance over eye appeal. This coin would have been struck just before Caesar's assassination on the fateful Ides of March*, perhaps in that very month (February to March of 44 BC). It wasn't easy finding one within my $500/coin budgetary ceiling at the time, but this one came in under that price... barely.

NGC cert verification page (with slab pictures)

As of the last edit, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments