Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I'm short on cash, but I have lots of cash. Go figure.

I'm short on cash in the bank account (seems to happen a lot lately- noticed that in yours?), but I've still got lots of cash.

Chinese cash, that is.

These are just the low end of a hoard I bought from Don/ajaan a couple years back. I had actually seen them before Don owned them, when they were in Michael/Aethelred's basement. I think Michael said they were from an old 1950s-'60s North Carolina collection. Many were in old 2x2s with rusty staples, so I cut them out.

This is just maybe half of 'em. I still have at least that many more of the better looking and/or earlier pieces I've set aside. I figured I'd bulk sell these castoffs as one lot, later. I put a more modern Chinese coin (China/Taiwan 1-chiao from the 1950s) in the picture for scale- it's the same diameter as a US Lincoln cent.

A lot of these are probably the more common 1700s pieces, but I've got a hunch some of them are much older. There were coins going back to the Han Dynasty (which started around 206 BC) in the original lot. I like the earthen patina on some of these. You can tell they're still the way they were when they were dug out of the ground. Too bad they can't talk. But even if they could, I guess I'd need a translator.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats one area of coins I could never get into. Always found them pretty boring in the looks dept.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Cool. Mostly Qing with a few Northern Song in the mix. Knowing some history, reading the inscriptions, and appreciating the different forms of calligraphy make them interesting for me.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    nice collection Marco
    but I think you need a piece of rope image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter had some fancy pipe cleaners for crafts. She gave me one with a reddish pattern on it, and I did 'em up exactly like that. The pipe cleaner actually worked a little better than a piece of rope or string- it was easier to thread 'em onto, and then all I had to do was twist the ends of the wire together.

Gotta hand it to the ancient Chinese. Coins are much more practical when you can string 'em together like that. Makes even more sense than paper rolls, when you get right down to it.

<< <i>Thats one area of coins I could never get into. Always found them pretty boring in the looks dept. >>

I normally would tend to agree. Coins in foreign alphabets with no pictorial designs (in other words, nothin' but a few squigglies) don't do much for me, either, but for some reason, I've always made an exception for these Chinese cash coins. I've got a soft spot for 'em. Mind you, I'll never be an avid collector of 'em, or learn how to read 'em like sumnom here has, but they're good cheap fun.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.